Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Hunting 2022: What did you do today or this week

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Hunting 2022: What did you do today or this week

Postby Lefty » 02 21, 2022 •  [Post 1]

To get ready.
Its always been my motto: "Be prepared"

I've broke down my shot gun and gave it a good cleaning.
The muzzle loader: bought replacement sights and put them on this week. Also fitted with a different sling.
I hung my bow in the shop, so Ill be more temped to shoot. I planning on purging, using or loosing all my current arrows. I have nearly all of what I call elk Tech,, supplies in one storage bin, with easy access.
I've packed the clothes that are only for elk hunting in a separate bin.
Tomorrow readiness prep plan! Wash out my pack,, Apparently I wont be doing anymore coyote hikes. If its nice enough tomorrow Ill cut some sage and pack it with my gear. I might even spend some time on Google earth. Looking at some Montana elk country, I might even convince my wife to slow down while I glass some elk country this week :P
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Elk Hunting 2022: What did you do today or this week

Postby 7mmfan » 02 21, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I got a lot of honey dos done in the last couple weeks. Lots to go though. More importantly I have finally been getting off my behind and working out. I got into arguably the best shape of ever been in last year and then blew my feet apart on a death march hike in August. I basically didn't work out all fall or winter. It's time to get my behind back in fighting shape. I'll be on the stationary bike or hill climbing by my house daily.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 02 22, 2022 •  [Post 3]

I have been trying to pull my bow back to get my muscles back to where they were. Havent been able to get it back yet, but seeing progress. 1/8" is progress, right?
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 22, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Glad the healing is moving along Tigger. Have you spent any time using the rubber tube resistance/exercise critters? I actually have a couple different resistance sets in my office that I hit every hour as work allows. I stretch for a few minutes, do some PU's, and use the tubes for a few shoulder exercises, some bent over rows, then some curls with a couple of dumbbells'. I know this helps me quite a bit during the off season. Weather is getting better so no I have no excuse to start taking my pack for a walk at least 3-4 days per week. Gotta get my new Side Hill Archery bow string ordered and installed. I'm also in the same boat as 7MM, I've got a list of "chores" to do a mile long at the ranch. Will start hitting those hard as the weather improves with spring on its way. Been shooting the new recurve a few times each week; I sure couldn't hunt with it today with any degree of confidence; its a work in progress. Good thread Lefty.
Resistance Tubes.jpg
Resistance Tubes.jpg (103.86 KiB) Viewed 9063 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 02 22, 2022 •  [Post 5]

I didn’t eat any ice cream this week or last. I would like to get a treadmill. I could run on it while eating ice cream to counteract it. :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 02 22, 2022 •  [Post 6]

I draw my bow back 10 times in about 30 seconds every other day and I take a 3-mile hike about 5 days each week. I will be gone tomorrow through Friday so I will miss a little but will get in some walks while away.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 02 22, 2022 •  [Post 7]

I have resistant bands instead of tubes. I do not have the fancy-shmancy foam handles either. I just have to grab the band. Geez, you live high off the hog!
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 22, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Tigger wrote:I have resistant bands instead of tubes. I do not have the fancy-shmancy foam handles either. I just have to grab the band. Geez, you live high off the hog!
. All kneel before my master resistance tube prowess! Mrs Wapiti got em free from one of her recent exercise program thingamajigs and gave em to me. I like them :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby Jhg » 02 23, 2022 •  [Post 9]

I have not done anything but at 63 I know I need to get on it, even if as an arborist my lifestyle keeps me fitter than 90% (guessing) of my peers.

Leg strength is the big loser as we age and that is one of the things I concentrate on leading up to the season. Good leg conditioning seems to be the main limiting factor (along with the lungs) in where and how enjoyable my hunts are.

BTW, the wife thinks my wind is plenty strong and that maybe I pass too much of it. But thats her opinion.
Jhg

Postby 7mmfan » 02 23, 2022 •  [Post 10]

Jhg wrote:I have not done anything but at 63 I know I need to get on it, even if as an arborist my lifestyle keeps me fitter than 90% (guessing) of my peers.

Leg strength is the big loser as we age and that is one of the things I concentrate on leading up to the season. Good leg conditioning seems to be the main limiting factor (along with the lungs) in where and how enjoyable my hunts are.

BTW, the wife thinks my wind is plenty strong and that maybe I pass too much of it. But that's her opinion.

My wife said the same thing. Apparently my body also produces abnormally hot air :roll:

My legs are telling me that they are very aware that I started working out again last week. Boy they were sore this morning.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 02 24, 2022 •  [Post 11]

My 7th grade boys' basketball team only had 9 kids for practice. So I played the 10th kid. My achilles is crying and whining every since.

Gained 1/4" more on the bowstring!
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 02 24, 2022 •  [Post 12]

2/25
Im replacing broadheads on arrows and putting on target tips. Need to start shooting, even if it a handful a day

2/26 That was yesterday. Shot a few today,, I shot fine , just need to work on getting stronger. I did notice my string has a lot of wear,,, so maybe instead of a string, a new bow? I am shooting a 06 Mathews

2/27 shot a round of arrows
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 02 28, 2022 •  [Post 13]

I did this today. Now to buy one piece bases/rings and lense caps. I would not want to be a bull elk standing in view of this device in October. ☠️
Attachments
E07FD9AA-A23E-441E-912C-487CEC191D8D.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 02 28, 2022 •  [Post 14]

I got new walkie-talkies today.
Thegreatwapiti

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 28, 2022 •  [Post 15]

Received the new string set for “The Darton” today. I get my bow strings from Side Hill Custom Stings out of Kelso, WA. They’re top shelf. Threw the old Alice pack on and did a few miles…. it’s a start.
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 28, 2022 •  [Post 16]

Indian Summer wrote:I did this today. Now to buy one piece bases/rings and lense caps. I would not want to be a bull elk standing in view of this device in October. ☠️

Yeah, that’ll work. What boom stick is that going on mister?
WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 02 28, 2022 •  [Post 17]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:
Indian Summer wrote:I did this today. Now to buy one piece bases/rings and lense caps. I would not want to be a bull elk standing in view of this device in October. ☠️

Yeah, that’ll work. What boom stick is that going on mister?

My trusty old .300 Rem Ultra Mag. So many notches in the stock it’s ready to fall in half. Like a dummy I sold my Mark 4 before realizing that it would take years for the scope I wanted to become available. It’s the Hubble Telescope. For practice today I shot a groundhog…… on Mars. :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby DirtyErn » 03 02, 2022 •  [Post 18]

Well didn’t do much , but I have been able to get out the last 3 weekends and do some backcountry skiing, besides skiing in bounds.
7 miles and 3500’ of elevation with 25 lb back each trip
Walk the dog on his 2 mile loop with 25 lb weight vest, almost everyday
Put new diesal heater in camper now I have a remote so I don’t have to get out of bed to turn heater on
Ran a duct into shower stall , now it’s my drying room as well. Works great.
DirtyErn

First Name: Ernie
Last Name: O

Postby Jhg » 03 03, 2022 •  [Post 19]

Put in for my tags.

My conditioning routine starts next week. At my age this means slow and steady workouts increasing my aerobic and anaerobic capacity, leg strength and power. My goal is to be able to do a set with weights, then jump rope for the "rest" period, then another set with weights etc etc.
This was my workout when I was younger and its very effective for real world strength and stamina.
My upper body gets a pretty good whipping daily as an arborist. Though I am not the superman I was back in the day it will be enough for getting my bull out. I just need to tailor the workouts to take into account the fact as an older man my body needs more time to recover, cannot handle quick jumps in weight or repetitions and in general is slower to increase its fitness.
One good thing I have going for me is I do not mind physical pain. So when I pack out my bull its kind of a "well, it is what it is" mentality.

I am doing what I want to be doing after all. How bad can it be? I know the difference between discomfort and actually hurting myself.
Jhg

Postby 7mmfan » 03 03, 2022 •  [Post 20]

Day 12 of my fitness routine. Alternating weights and stationary bike days. Doing 60 minute hill climb or interval training rides and weights/bodyweight exercises. I plan to work out every day in some form moving forward.
7mmfan

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 03 03, 2022 •  [Post 21]

It was 74 degrees in Denver and I Shot 100 arrows today.
I'm also on day 83 of this round of P90X3. I have found it to be an excellent prep for my backcountry hunt.
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Swede » 03 03, 2022 •  [Post 22]

I bought my hunting license today and have kept up my daily three-mile walk. Tomorrow is my day to work my bow. I do that every other day.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 03 04, 2022 •  [Post 23]

Swede I purchase an Idaho Sportsmans package with a few ad-ons,,, 2-pole for fishing, trapping, sharptail, I'm generally hunting on the first and have signed up for automatic renewal

today I did a super clean up and restocking the camper. Not much mud, but some elk blood on the floor. Some how forgot a jar of pickles,, the mess didn't go far and wasn't too bad.
Lefty

Postby Jhg » 03 04, 2022 •  [Post 24]

Lefty wrote:...some elk blood on the floor...

Oh sure. Nice drive by. Like we didn't already know you got your elk this year.
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 03 05, 2022 •  [Post 25]

Jhg wrote:
Lefty wrote:...some elk blood on the floor...

Oh sure. Nice drive by. Like we didn't already know you got your elk this year.

Hadn't thought of it as bragging,,, :lol:
M y last days elk hunting the weather had been messy, deep snow, I got home from the hunt and jumped right into processing the meat, and goose hunting. I rediscovered more than elk blood on the floor.. Today while cleaning the RV, I found two small duffels with some winter hunting clothes. Top and bottom base layer, wool socks, Even a pair of Darn Tough socks

So back to the threads question. Before I found the missing duffels I ordered more merino wool from Camofire, And my wife was thrilled to buy it for me,,, well maybe not thrilled,, but satisfied with the price! :lol:
Lefty

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 12, 2022 •  [Post 26]

Went out yesterday for a bear hunt in the old elk stomping area. I had a bear chew up 3 trail cameras last year so he was my objective, and I couldn’t find him :evil: … because of fuel prices I won’t go back until later in august to hang tree stands and trail cameras
Elkhunttoo

Postby 7mmfan » 06 12, 2022 •  [Post 27]

Been working out 4-5 days a week. I'm up to 3 - 1 hour long bike rides on our Peloton each week and a couple of good strength and mobility workouts. I feel strong. Going to do a marathon overnight backpack trip first week of July so we'll so I really hold up :lol:
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 06 12, 2022 •  [Post 28]

Maybe I need some technical help on rotating these pics.
Add a couple horse to the pasture. Andrew was a bit complaining about packing his elk out, So he got a horse that van do it in one trip.
20220610_075900.jpg

Friday I hiked around the Continental Divide. I wouldn't really call it scouting,,

20220609_183326.jpg
Lefty

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 13, 2022 •  [Post 29]

Been staying with my routine fairly regular, but these Idaho mtns seem to keep humbling me!

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 06 14, 2022 •  [Post 30]

Work helps. 100 times a day up and down these. Paid to get in elk shape!
Attachments
3A392532-F6F8-4D4E-B951-9A3824729012.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 06 14, 2022 •  [Post 31]

Same old exercise program and working my bow. Arthritis is bothering my right shoulder and I am losing a little strength. I may need to detune my bow a little or work a little harder.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 09, 2022 •  [Post 32]

I have dropped 16 pounds so far with lots more to go…I hit 40 last year and set a goal to lose 40 pounds this year before the season starts… on pace to get it done but it will be work… ran yesterday, treadmill today…shot my bow yesterday and will get to it in a bit today…it’s coming quick :D
Elkhunttoo

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 07 09, 2022 •  [Post 33]

Elkhunttoo wrote:I have dropped 16 pounds so far with lots more to go…I hit 40 last year and set a goal to lose 40 pounds this year before the season starts… on pace to get it done

At this pace you are on track to disappear in 3 years!!!
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 09, 2022 •  [Post 34]

:lol:
I hope not!!! I want to hunt elk for way more then 3 more seasons ;)
Elkhunttoo

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 07 09, 2022 •  [Post 35]

I built 4 groundblinds, hiked up and down the mountain, put out two more trailcams, and currently I am being devoured by mosquitos. I also found someone's old portable. The steps have grown into the trees and it appears to be abandoned.
Attachments
20220709_141822.jpg
20220709_141822.jpg (171.53 KiB) Viewed 8163 times
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 09, 2022 •  [Post 36]

Glad you are getting out and about…what areas did you put your blinds in? Saddles? Water crossing? Wallows? Etc…

Also, I’m guessing Swede was hiding in the bushes watching to see if you were going to try and claim his stand 8-)
Elkhunttoo

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 07 09, 2022 •  [Post 37]

Wallows, bedding areas, ridgeline, meadow, and transition routes.
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Lefty » 07 09, 2022 •  [Post 38]

Thegreatwapiti wrote:I built 4 groundblinds, hiked up and down the mountain, put out two more trailcams, and currently I am being devoured by mosquitos. I also found someone's old portable. The steps have grown into the trees and it appears to be abandoned.

Some will leave their steps in. If the straps are ready to burst then it may have been there a while.
Lefty

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 07 10, 2022 •  [Post 39]

Some will leave their steps in. If the straps are ready to burst then it may have been there a while

Hey Lefty.......not sure how they do things in Idaho, but in Colorado that is illegal.
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Lefty » 07 10, 2022 •  [Post 40]

Thegreatwapiti wrote:
Some will leave their steps in. If the straps are ready to burst then it may have been there a while

Hey Lefty.......not sure how they do things in Idaho, but in Colorado that is illegal.

Public lands have their own regulations. I think those are practical.

Idaho claims to have less legislation than any other state.

What are the rules on tree stands?
Are they public domain meaning first come first serve? I understand the rules and this to be the case on BLM land but what are the rules in Caribou National forest? When can they be put up? How long can they stay up? This is confusing to all and leads to a lot of argument and confrontation. I have seen a TON of stands on national forest. Many are up year round almost all use screw in foot pegs. What is legal? Need your help. The fish and game regulations are too vague. Some say tree stands are not blinds and don't fall under the same rules.
Answer:
Idaho Code and IDFG Commission rules to not address tree stands for the use of hunting, except on lands owned by IDFG. On our WMA's the use of tree stands are restricted as follows: To construct blinds, pits, platforms, or tree stands where the soil is disturbed, trees are cut or altered, and artificial fasteners, such as wire, rope, or nails are used. All blinds shall be available to the public on a "first-come - first-served" basis. Portable manufactured blinds and tree stands are allowed but may not be left overnight. You must contact the USFS and BLM for information relating to blinds and tree stands on lands they manage.
Answered on:
Monday, October 28, 2013 - 2:46 PM MDT
Lefty

Postby Swede » 07 10, 2022 •  [Post 41]

It is illegal to leave your tree stand up for extended periods on federal land. It does not matter if you are in Idaho or North Carolina. There is usually no problem leaving your stand up in the hunting season, but I may be confiscated if it is there too long before or after. The way they find them is by hunters reporting their presence. It appears you are taking (squatting) on public land. When you go to complain, you may be asked to identify the stand. When you tell them it is "yours"; you get a citation.
It is also illegal to claim a spot like a waterhole as "your" place.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 07 24, 2022 •  [Post 42]

I emptied my day pack,..washed and rinsed the pack and cleaned items in the pack.
Ive been shooting a bit. Trying to shoot 3 times a day, I either need to reduce the draw or get stronger.
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 07 25, 2022 •  [Post 43]

Been rucking every day for the last 9 days. This morning, however, I left the pack at home just to give myself a break. Was gonna shoot last night but got too tired.
Tigger

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 25, 2022 •  [Post 44]

Been shooting and working on getting all of my accessories for my tree stand ordered… should be all ready to go with tree stand by the end of this week
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 07 27, 2022 •  [Post 45]

I did my morning and afternoon hikes, shot my bow and had a double root canal. The hike was good and my shot pattern at 40 yards could have all been easily covered with an 8-inch paper plate. Actually, the root canal went better than I had expected, and I called for no anesthesia. After that I feel like I could go bear hunting with a switch and a rope. It may be obvious I am getting carried away a little, but I feel fine. :D
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 27, 2022 •  [Post 46]

Swede wrote:I did my morning and afternoon hikes, shot my bow and had a double root canal. The hike was good and my shot pattern at 40 yards could have all been easily covered with an 8-inch paper plate. Actually, the root canal went better than I had expected, and I called for no anesthesia. After that I feel like I could go bear hunting with a switch and a rope. It may be obvious I am getting carried away a little, but I feel fine. :D

I had two root canals and a bridge glued in a few weeks ago. Had seconds on novocaine :lol: Out shooting the bow tonight, off to my buddies cabin this weekend to fine tune the ballistic locks on our 300’s (one PRC, one WSM) for some potential long….. shots this fall.
WapitiTalk1

Postby 7mmfan » 07 28, 2022 •  [Post 47]

I cleaned windows and mowed the grass. Looked at a map. My mind is on bear hunting in a couple weeks and the fact that I don't have a free weekend until basically the first of October.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 07 29, 2022 •  [Post 48]

The weather is hotter than my shooting, but I shot 8 arrows and went for my three-mile hike. I am staying indoors until it cools off this evening.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 30, 2022 •  [Post 49]

Went camping yesterday morning and just got home…my brother in law and I woke up at 4:15 this morning and hiked in and out in a tree stand in the dark…made it back to the camp site before the kids woke up and got the fire going…was great to get one stand up…2 to go… I feel like this stand is in a good location but it didn’t have quite as many shooting lanes as we originally thought…although still plenty
Elkhunttoo

Postby wawhitey » 07 30, 2022 •  [Post 50]

Elkhunttoo wrote:it didn’t have quite as many shooting lanes as we originally thought…although still plenty

Those couple branches you know you shouldve cut.... theyre gonna screw ya. Go back and cut them now.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 07 30, 2022 •  [Post 51]

Nothing. I did nothing. We had my son's 5th birthday party today so that is all that got done.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 07 30, 2022 •  [Post 52]

I did my hike and shooting again this morning. I wish my shot pattern was as good as Tigger's. Still, I could just about touch my fingers and thumbs as I circled the arrows with my fairly small hands.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 31, 2022 •  [Post 53]

wawhitey wrote:
Elkhunttoo wrote:it didn’t have quite as many shooting lanes as we originally thought…although still plenty

Those couple branches you know you shouldve cut.... theyre gonna screw ya. Go back and cut them now.

We definitely will…we cut most of them but we were just short on time…we have another stand that we will be putting up about 250-300 yards from this one. When we set that one up we are going to take in the extended limb lopers and clean it up a bit…I still really like the stand and if they come into that bedroom there is a very high chance they leave with and arrow in them
Elkhunttoo

Postby Billy Goat » 08 01, 2022 •  [Post 54]

I leave Saturday to go visit our hunt unit. it's new to me, and I'm going to spend a week walking a few loops around target areas with my pack goats. :)

first pack goat trip ever, so this will be "brave new world" experience for us all.

so.....I'll be getting "boots on the ground" time, while the goats get "hoof time" :)
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Lefty » 08 05, 2022 •  [Post 55]

We had a wedding near SLC yesterday. So this afternoon I went shopping,,, my favorite sport :roll: I picked up new Danner boots. Then jumped on line and bought a pop up blind,, and another box of goose decoys. Ill will use the blind for deer and maybe elk.

And my wife oK'ed a cell trail camera too,,, I have to set it where it gets reception so she can make sure Im headed out of the woods some evenings evidently she wants more than a breckfast wake up call and a goodnight call where I need to run out to get reception
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 08 07, 2022 •  [Post 56]

All my hunting clothes, is packed in new totes.
Some socs and underwear are the only clothing left to pack.
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 08 23, 2022 •  [Post 57]

Today? Uh… not too much to be honest.
Attachments
B345540F-A1FB-4AE7-B9CB-C77EF09B8F27.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 08 26, 2022 •  [Post 58]

Elk strap on the Rec Teq pellet grill. This is how we prepare.

All hands on deck! Elk meeting on Mountain View Road at rookie number one’s house. 18:00 sharp! Lots to discuss. This is it kiddies pay attention……. BYOB

My partners have hunted elk before. But not where there were elk. Haha! :roll: They have zero horse experience. I told them to go to a local place that does trail rides and for starters tell them you just want to learn to saddle your horse. Well summer is slipping away and they’ve yet to do that. Horses and mountains don’t want to hear about why you were too busy to prepare.

We’re going to try to eliminate pulling a cargo trailer out. So we might have to do a trial run and literally pack the truck one day. We have a short bed, a hitch receiver cargo rack, and a roof rack. We also have 2 wall tents, 2 tent frames, 2 wood stoves, cots tarps chainsaw/fuel tools three weapons and sets of personal clothing and gear and 6 ginormous coolers. Add three elk and sets of antlers on the way home and I think we could be pushing it. I’m a little worried about that. I might have to send those guys to places where there are no elk. I’ll have to mention that at the meeting. Lol

The one thing every year that rookies never seem to fully comprehend is how little spare time there will be. They ask questions like should we bring stuff to make some bacon and eggs in the morning. I’m sarcastic… as you know, so I answer with things like “Sure I’ll eat that while you guys are 45 minutes behind trying to remember how to saddle a horse and forgetting something you need “ They ask the same things about dinner. I tell them I bet that by the time you get your horses unsaddled and everything put away and water those horses then feed them you will be awake for about 14 minutes. 9 for your Mountain House to hydrate, 4 minutes to eat it, and 1 minute to ask me where I think you should go tomorrow. It’s Joe’s Base Camp not Joe’s Bar & Grill. I’ve been in camps where guys cooked and every morning there were more dirty dishes piling up. Nope. Kill an elk and then you can run into town and buy some stuff to cook for dinner for the guys who are still hunting.

Still… they don’t quite get it until the mornings when I say in the darkness… Hey man I gotta hit the trail to be where I need to be on time. I tightened ip your saddles boys… good luck. Then I fade away into the trees. Hurrying up does NOT make up for the extra 15 minutes you stayed in your sleeping bag. I have some funny stories of guys who were all worked up and flying around because they didn’t want me to disappear up the trail without them like the day before. Two years ago Tom was doing really well. He picked ip the horse stuff as fast as you can. Sometimes it’s the simple things that bite you in the hind quarter though. He hustled and actually hit the trail before me. Probably made him smile to say good luck and start up the mountain before me. I was 5 minutes up the trail when he passed me going the opposite way back toward camp. He said 3 words and kept going. “Forgot my rifle” there might have been a 4th word right before rifle! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last year I had a young guy who could not remember one very fundamental thing. Do NOT let go of your horse’s lead rope and walk away for ANY reason. EVER! I can’t remember how many times I watched him chase horses. The best one was one day he let one go to take a leak or something. Can you imagine??? That’s like putting your truck in neutral on a hill and getting out and walking away! Haha! Off they went. I told him…. Don’t chase them. They’ll just run and you’ll never catch up. You’re going to have to calmly walk up to them. My horses were already tied to trees and I said I’ll be right here. About 30 minutes later here he comes. “I couldn’t catch them what should I do?

I just looked at him. He looked back for a little. I smiled and didn’t say anything. He said “I gotta go get them huh?” Yep! Those horses went down a mile of trail to camp. I told the pilgrim they’d be standing around the stack of hay bales. They weren’t! They hit the road and made a right. Went a mile to the end of that road and made a left. Apparently they heard there was a nicer camp somewhere up the valley. Haha! Eventually some other hunters caught them and told him where they were. They gave the kid a ride and one even rode a horse back to our camp for him. And that kid…. Is how you learn lessons that you won’t forget. How do you think I learned? Why do you think I look you in the eye when I tell you certain things and say “Don’t ever ever ever do that. Ever!” Lol I’ve seen guys follow horses and mules for 10 miles!

Yep…. Meeting at 6pm.
Attachments
1959A5F4-04C9-45D8-B8BB-89AB0FEC18EA.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby Tigger » 08 26, 2022 •  [Post 59]

Great write up Joe! I can't wait to hear the stories from this year. You only got a couple of months to wait!

I have hiked about 14 miles this week with my pack. Shot some arrows. Liking how my new arrow setup is doing. Just have to test broadheads.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 08 26, 2022 •  [Post 60]

Joe your post is making my mouth drool.

Daughter and Andrew took the camper up Wednesday/Thursday.
I bought a popup ground blind. I set it up to get rid of some of the paint/print/ plastic smell I may use it,,, I may not.

Time to go cook a loin that's in the fridge
Lefty

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 27, 2022 •  [Post 61]

Shot the bow! Bought a new head light and a few other items…Tick tock tick tock…Wednesday morning I will be in the mountains hunting elk for another season :D
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 08 28, 2022 •  [Post 62]

tic toc is right!
The camper is mostly loaded. I m washing the bedding, then loading the ATV, need to top off the batteries. And fill the cooler with frozen and fridge foods.
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 29, 2022 •  [Post 63]

Touched up knives tonight, I never know which couple of blades will make their way into the kill kit on a particular hunt/day, shot some arrows.. all broadheads at this point.. the Darton is shooting as well as ever, finished packing my day snack packs, signed a couple of new members into our forum. Got most of my annual getting ready to put elk noses in the dirt pre hunt checklist done. Finalizing all the house, property, Mrs Wapiti chores so there are minimal “back at the ranch” issues that come up as my partner reduce the Cowboy State elk population by 2. Getting close now………
WapitiTalk1

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 29, 2022 •  [Post 64]

Go get ‘em Lefty!! Idaho’s opener is 2 hours away!!!!

Crazy another year is here!!! Let’s Go!!!
Elkhunttoo

Postby Tigger » 08 30, 2022 •  [Post 65]

RJ, what target are you using that your broadheads dont destroy it?

went for ruck this morning. 54 degrees was welcome!
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 30, 2022 •  [Post 66]

Tigger wrote:RJ, what target are you using that your broadheads dont destroy it?

went for ruck this morning. 54 degrees was welcome!

Dean, I've had really good luck with the RhinoBlock XL, been using them for many years. Usually have to replace the core every two years. Yes sir, the cooler mornings are sure nice.... tells us fall is nearing ;)

Rinehart RhinoBlock XL.jpg
Rinehart RhinoBlock XL.jpg (84.01 KiB) Viewed 7233 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby 7mmfan » 08 30, 2022 •  [Post 67]

I did a death march bear hunt this last weekend. Still catching up on calories. I reviewed maps and pictures I took last time I was in the area we are heading to and made some pre-emptive plans. I need to book a camp spot at the local campground where we are going to setup our base camp. I need to start cooking/freezing meals as well. I need to go shoot my rifle one or two more times before we leave. I had hoped to have my new dial from Leupold before we left but I don't think it's going to happen.

Still almost a month and a half until my hunt starts. I'm jealous of all you stick flingers.
7mmfan

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 08 30, 2022 •  [Post 68]

I arrived today. Set camp at 10,500'. My buddy is arriving on Thursday. I'm just going to spend the next two days getting acclimated and setting up the backpack just right. Maybe a little target practice. Super warm (warmer than I was hoping for) but a beautiful night in the mountains.
Attachments
20220830_173538.jpg
20220830_173538.jpg (354.98 KiB) Viewed 7223 times
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 30, 2022 •  [Post 69]

Thegreatwapiti wrote:I arrived today. Set camp at 10,500'. My buddy is arriving on Thursday. I'm just going to spend the next two days getting acclimated and setting up the backpack just right. Maybe a little target practice. Super warm (warmer than I was hoping for) but a beautiful night in the mountains.

Nice! Good luck to you man!
Elkhunttoo

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 08 31, 2022 •  [Post 70]

I just got woken up by 2 moose outside my tent! I opened the door to look out and the cow was standing 30 feet away next to my supply table. Very unsettling way to start the day.

Moose footprints near my tent.
Attachments
20220831_070214.jpg
20220831_070214.jpg (367.9 KiB) Viewed 7212 times
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Indian Summer » 08 31, 2022 •  [Post 71]

Thegreatwapiti wrote:I arrived today. Set camp at 10,500'. My buddy is arriving on Thursday. I'm just going to spend the next two days getting acclimated and setting up the backpack just right. Maybe a little target practice. Super warm (warmer than I was hoping for) but a beautiful night in the mountains.

Warm is no good. Since I try to think like an elk I don’t like it at all. Narrow windows of opportunity and long mid day naps are the norm. It’ll be a couple weeks until the rut kicks in. Right now I’d do my best to leave cate elk and pattern them. I’d be ambush hunting.

It’s such a different time of year compared to the cold short sometimes dark days of gun season. A great time to be in the mountains for sure. Good luck!

I need to shoot!!!
Indian Summer

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 09 01, 2022 •  [Post 72]

I went down to the truck to charge my phone this morning. When I got back to my tent, a cow and calf moose had moved into my campsite. Literally 5 feet from my tent with only a crappy boma separating them.

I also heard a real-live bugle.
Attachments
20220901_065840.jpg
20220901_065840.jpg (360.88 KiB) Viewed 7186 times
20220901_070211.jpg
20220901_070211.jpg (319.36 KiB) Viewed 7186 times
20220901_073813.jpg
20220901_073813.jpg (381.45 KiB) Viewed 7186 times
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Indian Summer » 09 01, 2022 •  [Post 73]

A cow and calf can definitely be a dangerous situation. They’ll stomp a grizzly bear. Don’t go anywhere near or toward them. They’ll move on. You should start a separate hunt thread.
Indian Summer