Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting the Burns. Is it the same?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting the Burns. Is it the same?

Postby Jhg » 02 02, 2022 •  [Post 1]

Hunting burn scars. Everyone gravitates to those areas that regenerate with knee high glades of grasses. But what if your area does not rebound in that fashion. Where do the elk "go" and how do you successfully hunt them with a bow?

I have my own opinions based on my area and will share later. I am curious what others are doing successfully, or not, if you enjoy hunting burn scars or hate them.

Scouting with my step-d.
58DE5E19-040C-4169-A30E-88F57F65650F.jpeg
58DE5E19-040C-4169-A30E-88F57F65650F.jpeg (137.57 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Jhg

Re: Hunting the Burns. Is it the same?

Postby Tigger » 02 03, 2022 •  [Post 2]

We had a burn we thought was going to be great one year. Turns out, the grasses didnt grow. Just 1 kind of weed. No elk. No elk sign, nothing. A swing and a miss.
Tigger

Postby Jhg » 02 03, 2022 •  [Post 3]

I have been scouting 3 different recent burn scars.
Depending on how hot the fire was based on fuels etc determines in large part what, if anything, regenerates. They are finding these newer fires burning much hotter, often sterilizing the soil and even changing its composition to a dead, clay like material. Basically a no grow soil.
Where the fires were cooler (less fuel & wetter fuel) regen was pretty robust from grasses to seedling emergence.
I have been seeing good regen in seep areas and wet bottoms. Fire burned there less intense and the soil was ready to rebound with its moisture content and seed loads. Microbiotics also need to be present for a good regrowth profile.
Elk are traveling the same as pre-fire between these islands of feed. The only diff is instead of sterile black timber zones it is now black tree spars and no cover. But they are doing it and staying in the area.
I think they do need islands of standing timber for cover for bedding and heat relief. Those need to be part of the overall picture for the elk to stick around.
Jhg

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 03, 2022 •  [Post 4]

JMHO: The heat and intensity of the fire determine if and when the grasses grow back in a burn area. Extreme heat can actually sterilize the soil. But a fast moving fire can may be beneficial and add nutrients to the soil to promote fast regrowth.

If the elk move out due to lack of feed you will have to spend time relocating them. No different that if you bust a herd out of the area. Good regrowth feed and nearby cover usually equal good hunting opportunity.

As far as bowhunting burn areas go, lack of cover in the burn areas may call for more stealthy and slower moving tactics. I think a good way would be to figure out where they enter and leave the burn to and from their cover area and hunt them in the transition areas.

I'm sure open to hearing what the rest of you guys think.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 03, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Jhg: Looks like we were both posting at the same time with basically the same ideas.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Jhg » 02 03, 2022 •  [Post 6]

I think burn scars offer a great opportunity for a hunter who does the footwork to figure out the elks adaptation habits. I plan to avoid the obvious- too many other hunters.
(Well, I will keep an open mind and swoop into an area if empty of pressure but my main plan is having a pocketful of secrets).
Jhg

Postby saddlesore » 02 03, 2022 •  [Post 7]

I don't hunt burns.I don't like to get thru at the end of the day black with soot and grime, gear and such covered with it. It's a more dangerous even to ride a horse or mule thru it . All those small limbs that got burned off the trunks are short 3-4 inch spears that dig into you if you happen to lean against one.Then there is the wind and widow makers, partially burned trees falling. Just like hunting in the rain.I am out there to enjoy myself, killing an elk isn't all that important.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 02 03, 2022 •  [Post 8]

I have a habit of taking a chainsaw into the place where I want to set my stand and knocking down the dangerous dead trees. I do it months before the season.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics