Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk hunter or Elk killer?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Goat Boy » 01 01, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I recently read a Great article On elk hunters and elk killers And it really made me think am I an Elk hunter or am I an elk killer? The author sums it up into two sentences. One tells stories of close calls and missed opportunities. The other talks about how he made the shot and ate elk heart for supper. So I thought To myself. Am I a missed opportunity type of guy. Or do I eat elk hearts for supper. I challenge you to ask yourself this question.

This is a link to the story it is a must read.
http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/articles/elkmoves/
"You're never lost if you don't care where you're at"
Goat Boy

Re: Elk hunter or Elk killer?

Postby Swede » 01 01, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I see Curt's point, but I have never liked the idea of just being an elk "killer". I go for the whole experience, but I still focus on making the shot. For me all aspects of the hunt are vital. I go for the chase, time spent camping and traversing the forest, and the comaraderie. They all factor into the quality of the hunt. In the end I admit to personally measuring success by the pound, but even an "unsucessful" hunt can be a great experience. Each person's success is a very personal thing. I know there are people who never measure success by the pound or antler score. The quality of their hunt is all that matters. Elk hunter or elk killer? Me? Uh, I donno :?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Goat Boy » 01 01, 2013 •  [Post 3]

That is a great reply you are absolutely rite couldn't of said it better myself. Notic I did not go on to talk about set ups or any thing els in the article what you are saying is exactly the kind of reply I was looking for.
Goat Boy

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 01 01, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I do not like the word killer. If you hunt elk long enough, become a experienced elk hunter. Then you call it a elk hunter that fills the freezer. Memories in the field and making friends along the way, is way more important than just going out and " killing " a elk. So I like to be known as a very fortunate elk hunter that fills the freezer. Not a killer! Sounds like something tree huggers would use. :o
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 02, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I guess I'm both? I've hunted elk since I was a sprout and have harvested a good handfull, although not as many as some. The off season planning, the gear shakeout, practicing with my weapon of choice (bow), pouring over maps and Acme/Google Earth shots, off season elk strategy discussions on forums and with young, aspiring elk hunters..., practicing calling, having the pending hunt haunt many sleepless nights as the colors of the leafs change signalling fall is approaching, packing up, traveling to camp and/or trailhead, setting up camp, spending time with fellow hunters in the wilds of (insert state/area), and getting up close and personal with Mr. Wapiti are all important in my book. I know many don't like to hear this, but for me the kill is almost secondary to all that I love about elk hunting. I pass on cows and smaller bulls almost every year (yep, I go several seasons between elk steaks oftentimes) but I just love "the hunt" and matching wits with these big galoots. I do however, have a strong feeling that there may be some elk's noses which hit the dirt in my 2013 camp though :)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 02, 2013 •  [Post 6]

By the end of the season I hope I'm both! (grin) I do not like elk heart though!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 01 02, 2013 •  [Post 7]

If you've ever killed an elk on opening day and felt a small sense of disappointment because you couldn't beat yourself up for a month you might be a redneck... I mean elk hunter.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 01 02, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Indian Summer, I understand what you are writing about. Of coarse I have passed on elk early in the season and started to wish I hadn't. When I kill an elk early there is always a deer and a cougar tag in my pocket, but they are not much of a motivator for me. I usually wait for my hunting friends to go home, then I drag up my camp and return home too and wait. I guess that probably makes me an elk hunter.
Swede

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 01 02, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Indian Summer wrote:If you've ever killed an elk on opening day and felt a small sense of disappointment because you couldn't beat yourself up for a month you might be a redneck... I mean elk hunter.

My 2011 bull I took on Aug 30th, My 2012 bull I took on opening day, the 25th of Aug. My hunt was far from over. I still stay the entire archery season and help others in camp. I am the main caller and the later the season the better it gets. Last season we were in camp 4 days early and stayed til the last weekend. Almost 4 1/2 weeks. Just because my tag is filled do's not meen I'm done. Helping others get there elk is just as gratifying as taking my own. Sometimes more when I help someone get there very 1st elk. Plus I usually have a deer or bear tag just in case. Nothing like bear hunting over a perfectly good gut pile ;)
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Lefty » 01 02, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I ditto much of what Swede says. Its the whole expierience.

Of the last four years one dead elk makes me a 'hunter" so be it.
I really wonder how many "killers" consider themselves hunters . While I may have the missed and close call stories I know if I had a good 10 days to hunt ; would make me a "killer"?

I might fit more in the freak catagory: I like the desert, I like the solitude, I like the hard physical aspect, I like the camping, I like to hear the coyotes,.. Did I say I like the solitude :)

Maybe Im not a killer or more specifically an elk killer. Ive passed on lots of other game, some because it would be too easy to kill, or that day didnt fullfil my need of fair chase
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Coveyleader » 01 02, 2013 •  [Post 11]

"The term "Killer" to me is a bit out there as it relates to hunting. My whole reason to hunt elk deer etc. is to kill one but I don't like being categorized as a "killer" no matter how successful I am. Oh, and I'm far from being politically correct.
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby bearman da man » 01 02, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I'm neither....I prefer to call myself a "Predator"!!!!

Oh by the way, heart and brussel sprouts just don't mix.
bearman da man

Postby Wapiti » 01 02, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I'm an Elk Lover !!! I personally enjoy the whole experience !! But I enjoy the GAME more than the kill !! I let elk walk every year just so the game can play on ! But that's just me.
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby easeup » 01 02, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Wapiti wrote:I'm an Elk Lover !!! I personally enjoy the whole experience !! But I enjoy the GAME more than the kill !! I let elk walk every year just so the game can play on ! But that's just me.

there it is.

looks like most of us dont like the word killer and maybe associate it with some level of disregard for all noble things associated with the outdoors, the sport or life in general. I'm not sure if that is what the author intended.
easeup

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 01 02, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I don't like the term killer as that implies doing it for pure enjoyment. I hunt elk because its my favorite animal and getting close to them and interacting with them is what motivates me every year. That and I am a meat hunter so filling my freezer is a priority.

That being said I started hunting in 1995. I shot one in 95, but didn't score again until 2003. After that I didn't connect until 2010. Since 2010 I have been successfully every year. I contribute my recent success to putting in a lot more effort and time in the offseason and...... In 2009 I discovered some crazy old ge elk whacko from Idaho who makes elk calling CD'S. Apparantly he really knows his stuff. If only I knew who he was so I could thank him. :)
LNGBOWFLYER

Location: Ellensburg, WA: But currently stationed at FT. Drum, NY
First Name: Aaron
Last Name: Blanchard

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 03, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Well, all I can say is, "I had elk backstrap and fried tatters for super last nite". Call me what you want! LOL!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 01 03, 2013 •  [Post 17]

WW, that sounds like the perfect dinner, and for me you don't need to marinade the meat is some special blend of sauce. Just fry mine medium well and get a good scorch on the fried spuds.
Swede

Postby Goat Boy » 01 03, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Great stuff guys these all seem to be great replies. For me I guess I am more of an elk hunter. I work for an outfitter here in Utah and even know the Hunting season is only a few months I spend the whole year scouting. I guess if I was to put a start date on scouting it would begin in the early spring putting glass to work looking for bachlor groups of velvet bulls. Come July I start placing cameras on wallows so that by the time the velvet comes off and the bulls start hitting them the camaras are already in place. With the hunts starting in mid August and going on intell the end of November it is time to shift gears a little bit. From sunup to sundown day in and day out I spend countless hours hiking and glassing trying to find bulls from the spring/summer and Past years. Even though I don't have a tag I hunt hard Chasing bulls and putting on tons of miles and if I may say their is nothing like getting rite in the middle of a heard of elk in mid-September when their is a hot cow or two and their is 15 to 20 bulls trying to get their share. When they are in that stage it almost seems as if you are invisible. Umunks all the chaos it is truly relaxing to sit back and watch the action unfold and listen to the bugling, chirping and glunking going on around you and just as you realize that this is what hunting and being outdoors is all about a heard cow spots you and pushes the heard away. I guess what I am trying to say is that if I wanted to make the time to hunt elk for myself I could that doesn't mean that when it comes down to the wire that I would garente a kill. All I know that is for sure is that I have a sincere pashon to hunt, watch and talk about elk so I guess that makes me an ELK NUT!!!! :mrgreen:
Goat Boy

Postby stickflngr » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 19]

I seem to be a nature hiker that carrys a bow and see's elk :shock:... Ive been hunting elk since 93-94 and have killed one :oops: but hey, theres always next year... :D
stickflngr

Postby slim9300 » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 20]

ElkNut1 wrote:By the end of the season I hope I'm both! (grin) I do not like elk heart though!!

ElkNut1

Exactly. But if I'm not eating elk, its a failure for me. It must be the "killer" in my blood. ;)
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 21]

I am with you slim. My goal every year I hunt is to kill an elk. If I don't I feel like I failed and I hate losing. It literally eats at me for a year.
LNGBOWFLYER

Location: Ellensburg, WA: But currently stationed at FT. Drum, NY
First Name: Aaron
Last Name: Blanchard

Postby tracker12 » 01 04, 2013 •  [Post 22]

My goal is always to kill and elk, deer or what ever I am chasing. That being said I do not judge my success on whether I take game. I have had some great memorable hunts and never bagged anything. I hunted Unit 2 in Colorado this year on a solo archer hunt. My first archery hunt. I hunted 15 days and left without a bull. I hit a very nice bull the second day and was unable to locate it. 21 years for that tag but I left very satisfied. I had more opportunities in those15 days than I have in the last 15 at 325" + bulls. Friends thought I was BSing them when I said I was satisfied. But I really was. The nice part is that a few weeks after I got home my bull was found by a rifle hunter that was hunting the ranch I was on. I actually got the rack back yesterday from the taxidermist. Turned out better than I expected.
Attachments
securedownload.jpeg
securedownload.jpeg (28.75 KiB) Viewed 5592 times
tracker12