Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Head lamps

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Head lamps

Postby lilshootergirl » 01 28, 2022 •  [Post 1]

Do you have your head lamps on when your hiking into your hunting spots?
Rifle season!
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Re: Head lamps

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 28, 2022 •  [Post 2]

Yep!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 01 28, 2022 •  [Post 3]

We know our ingress and egress trails and routes for what ever the hunt
I have bright eyes on trees entering into the thick where I deer hunt about every 200-300 yards and will use a light to see them during rifle deer.
Also for late nights if its too dark and were bush whacking or need to make better time.

Bow hunting the times were moving in the dark we limit lights. cattle trails we generally wont use a light.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 01 28, 2022 •  [Post 4]

I use my headlamp frequently when I am out hunting and even scouting. The Coast flashlights and headlamps have a lifetime guarantee, and they are headquartered right near in Portland Oregon. I like them also as they use AA batteries or rechargeable ones.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 01 28, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Absolutely. I do have a red light that use if I'm worried about critters seeing it. I've tried to walk on dimly lit trails or even old skid roads many times in the dark and I feel I'm always tempting fate. One twist of the ankle or rock you didn't see can ruin your day or whole trip. Not worth it.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 01 30, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Yes always. On horse, on foot, light on.

Did you apply for a Wyoming license? Always a chance even with zero points.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby lilshootergirl » 01 30, 2022 •  [Post 7]

I'm buying points for 2023, my brother has 4 pts, and other 2 will buy points until then. I remember hearing as a group you have better chance of drawing? If that's true ill hunt in 2023, if anyone backs out, I'm still going! I'm not giving up! I've learned so much of that area not to go back!
I want to get a big bull and I'm not giving up, even if I have to go alone or a group! Working on buying a newer trailer don't need to have those problems again.
I'm not real happy with my scope, takes too much time to dial in for a shot!
Ill get that worked out
lilshootergirl

Postby saddlesore » 01 30, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Always.One year,I figured my mule knew where to go,so I turned off the light.Some where she took the wrong turn. When it got light, I had no clue where we where and I am sure the mule didn't. The mule I ride now, once I put him on the trail,he will take me to the exact tree I tie up at, 3-4 miles away,but I still use a head lamp.
I had fellow hunter almost lose an eye when he rode under a low hanging branch when he didn't have his light on.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 01 30, 2022 •  [Post 9]

Vince, your old mule knew where she was going. She could smell the greener pasture and went for it. What were you looking for? Some stupid old elk you would expect her to pack out.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 01 30, 2022 •  [Post 10]

We ended up in a blow down on the steep side of a mountain with no green grass,trail ,or stupid elk to be seen.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 01 30, 2022 •  [Post 11]

I suspect she smelled the grass but not the blow-down. She still felt good about her jaunt since she did not have to pack out some stinky old bull. :D
Swede

Postby Tigger » 01 31, 2022 •  [Post 12]

Always for safety. Usually a red light. Accidents happen because of some weird set of circumstances. Even on our private property, we do it.
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 01 31, 2022 •  [Post 13]

Tigger wrote:Always for safety. Usually a red light. Accidents happen because of some weird set of circumstances. Even on our private property, we do it.

With first time hunters,especially when we packed in when no help is available, I always tried to impress them that bad things can happen and they happen fast. Add horses or mules to the equation and it is more likely to occur
saddlesore

Postby Indian Summer » 02 01, 2022 •  [Post 14]

saddlesore wrote:
Tigger wrote:Always for safety. Usually a red light. Accidents happen because of some weird set of circumstances. Even on our private property, we do it.

With first time hunters,especially when we packed in when no help is available, I always tried to impress them that bad things can happen and they happen fast. Add horses or mules to the equation and it is more likely to occur

Oh hell yeah! Ask Tom about watching his first few wrecks and rodeos. I’m calm about it these days. Panicking only makes matters worse. If I had them on video people would freak out. It’s a pretty dicey trail to spike camp. I’m lucky I haven’t lost a deposit to my horse lease guy.

I need to do some summer trail work!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Old school » 02 06, 2022 •  [Post 15]

Always - mainly so some dimwit doesn’t mistake me for an animal and start shooting at me. That’s really my main reason. A distant second is safety as far as seeing branches, rocks, roots, etc…. I’m more paranoid about a “hunter” shooting at sounds in the dark.
Old school

Postby lilshootergirl » 02 07, 2022 •  [Post 16]

If elk see your headlamp do they spook? Does a certain color matter?
lilshootergirl

Postby Swede » 02 07, 2022 •  [Post 17]

I am no expert on lights and elk, but they don't spook due to headlights, so I doubt they would spook from a headlamp. What will spook an elk is seeing or smelling you. It seems they see as well in the dark as they do in the day. I am not sure they pay attention to lights.
Swede