Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Calling Elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Calling Elk

Postby Swede » 01 25, 2022 •  [Post 1]

The purpose of this thread is to start a conversation and to hopefully put some calling matters into perspective.

Many internet hunters like to portray themselves as the Pied Piper of elk and they make fun of novices and hunters that don't call using a diaphragm. I was just reading on another forum where the Hootchie Mama was getting bashed. I have never read a post where the H.M. was getting slammed by anything but an elitist. I have not used the H.M hunting, but sure wish I had a dollar for every one that Will Primos has sold. The truth is that there is nothing wrong with one if they are used properly and they are easier to use than a diaphragm. A diaphragm is poor if it is not used in a way that gets you closer or sets up your elk.
I have used all types of elk calls over the years, and they are all good if used well. I like the little Larry D. Jones elk call for a quick call. Often, I also use it after the shot from my tree stand. Some hunters have told me the Jones call doesn't sound right. Someone should tell that to the elk. I sometimes try to stop an elk I shot from running. It works only occasionally, and it never hurts anything.
The most important thing with all elk calling is your setup and to say the right thing at the right time. You also need to know to shut up the other times. Knowing this is where success is at.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Calling Elk

Postby Tigger » 01 25, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I think the problem with a Hoochie Mama is that many people do not understand the limitations of the call. They use it in the wrong application and used incorrectly, it actually probably spooks more elk than attracts them. Just walking around the woods slamming the plunger is not going to be effective. It can make a narrow band of elk sounds. When one of those sounds is appropriate, it does a marvelous job. But don't use it when one of those sounds is not appropriate, that is a detriment.

Calling elk effectively is understanding the situation more than the calls. That is why Elk Nut's playbook and app is so darn good. I wish I had a quarter for every playbook I have sold for him! If you understand what call you should make and why, the actual call itself is not critical (to some degree).

I will say this, when it all comes together, there is nothing more exciting in elk hunting than having a big bull running at you at 10 yards or less with snot flying, hell bent on kicking your butt.
Tigger

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 26, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Hoochie Mama Squirrel Call!!! Yep, you heard that right. I don't know how many I have won in local calling contest and ended up giving every one of them away or pitching them in the trash can until I found out that they are probably one of the best squirrel calls ever.

Just depress the rubber bulb slowly, (being careful not to make a sound with it) until you are able to feel the little plunger inside. Then, press the plunger quickly and it will bark like a squirrel. If you push it rapidly it sounds like a squirrel chattering.

It works great for bringing a squirrel out of a den tree or nest.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 01 26, 2022 •  [Post 4]

I see no inherent problem with the H.M. call other than its size. The people that buy them have very little understanding on their best use. They go to Walmart and get one because someone said ot they read about cow calling elk. When they get to the forest, squeezing on the call. They work it like a pump to inflate their truck tire. They are not alone as there are plenty of others that think they are skilled but are actually running off the elk. Even guys that can make a good sounding bugle with a diaphragm and grunt tube often just can't shut up and wait. toot, toot, toot through the woods they go.
I have made one call near my stand many times just before I climb the tree. This I have observed. Elk Often take two hours before they show up to check out the bull they heard. How do I know they were looking for the bull? They came to the exact location where the call was made, or they came in fairly close and look at that spot. Then they walk along looking it over, then they go back in the direction they came from. Several of these critters I have shot. A few have locked up before they were in effective range. It is hard to find a perfect location to call from near a stand. Usually, you can find a location where they must come in close if they approach from two or three directions, but there is one where they can see your spot from too far out.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 01 26, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Im still learning real elk conversation . We ve been effective actually calling elk,, and also effective scaring some elk off. :oops:

Tigger nailed the problem with a Hoochie Momma, Walking and talking is what guys called it around here. Likely the most abused call out there because it is the largest selling easy to operate( right or wrong).
and easy to squeeze. and might sound like an elk

But like many ( sometimes including me) all calls are used wrong, all types, for all variety of game.

I call game because that's the way I like to play: Elk, geese, fox, coyotes . But its not just mastering sounds. And I know I haven't mastered correct responses with elk.

The excitement of calling is my thing.
My daughter is decent making cow sounds with a couple different open-reed Cory J calls. Ill be working with my granddaughter to use a Hoochie Momma. I've have the Primos blue reed bugles down,.. A diaphragm with my Phelps bugles I still need to make some changes and improvements, and find an easier way to walk through the woods with it ;) That is my excuse,, well really its because Ive done really well with the Primos blue reed calls
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 01 27, 2022 •  [Post 6]

I can't use a diaphragm because of dentures.Year ago I did have a HM and killed a few elk using it.Then again I killed a few elk using a call I made out of electrical conduit.Even killed few using piece of gas flexible tubing that you use connecting a gas lines to an appliance Plus those Cow Talk ones made out of folded plastic with a rubber band in them.This was all before I knew about the Play Book. Using that and Li'l Chuckler tube,I killed the biggest bull yet,but that was mostly because I had drawn a tag that took me 21 years to do so.

Now I use a Skeery that works fine.

Elk do not read all those books or listen/watch CD's, but you had best use all calls at the right time, or not use them at other times. The actual sound makes a little difference, but not much.I have heard bulls make the most pitiful bugle and cows make a sound that sounds nothing like an elk.

I guess I have always been lucky enough to kill extremely stupid or deaf elk
saddlesore

Postby Jhg » 01 27, 2022 •  [Post 7]

I call. But I call to my strengths. And I find elk first, then call. I am not a louder who stands on the ridge and lets rip, then moves on when there is no response.
I call after I get a feel for the drainage I am hunting.
I have often heard hunters come into a drainage and without taking time to know what the elk mood is they start bugling. Often it is like introducing a football game broadcast into the middle of a church sermon. It does not fit. The elk are immediately alarmed.
I see a good comparison this way. There you are, sitting in your living room reading a book. Its quiet. Peaceful. Then, right at first light, a guy starts yelling outside hey I want company. Weird for sure and out of place. He keeps this up for awhile. You look out the window and can see him. He is the guy standing on the hill out in the open so the film crew can get the caller in frame with the majestic background.
If you are motivated to call in search of bulls and are not patient call quietly at first. Imagine you are a bull on the walk for other elk but you are not in a hurry, just kinda drifting along. You need not be loud because eventually you will have walked over "there" anyway.
I have seen a lot of bulls calling so quiet you cannot hear them human ear outside 40 yards. Some of these bulls were 6x studs.
Bulls are not always interested in anything beyond their immediate locale. Makes sense right? And they are also often aware that calling is marking them as targets, so they keep it local, quiet.

When I call its because I have a pretty good idea that when I do its going to be in a way and at a time a local elk is going to accept. You better know that first before you let fly. Otherwise its just luck you get the outcome you are after. I know this from hard experience.
Keep quiet unless you have a clue.
There is a lot to say for the style of hunting that has the hunter taking time adjusting into the woods first. What is the rush? We all want the season to go on forever anyway, right? Sure, find the elk, cover some ground if you have to. Do it in an efficient fashion. No sense hunting where they are not. But whats the hurry? Then make a plan or call once you know it will be accepted by the elk.

I use diaphrams, and I use reeds. I never used a box call or the like just because I don't like having more stuff when what I got is plenty already. A hoochie mama would be a great teaser at the right moment and a great compliment to a soft bugle. It helps sets the stage in a
realistic way.

9203812A-0B3E-48B7-8BD9-BCE93FB8AF4A.jpeg
9203812A-0B3E-48B7-8BD9-BCE93FB8AF4A.jpeg (143.17 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
Jhg