Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Slow Times in the Tree

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Slow Times in the Tree

Postby Swede » 01 05, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I could have put this on the tree stand forum but decided to add it here to give all of you jerks a shot at my questions.
Over the years, and in the various places I have tree stand hunted there is a common thing I have observed. Elk hunting is slow in my stand from approximately September 6th through September 18th.
Why? Are the bulls off somewhere to gather up cows before they return later? If the bulls go somewhere for cows, why did the cows leave? They were around earlier and will be back. Where I have hunted within a few miles of agricultural lands, the elk are often seen in the hay fields during this absent time. Is it an elk physiology thing where the elk are preparing for the upcoming rut? Maybe it is something altogether different. Maybe it is a Swede thing with too much time on his hands during the winter? :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Slow Times in the Tree

Postby Jhg » 01 05, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I can't answer the ag fields part but can say travel is pronounced through the first week and falls off after that. Then it becomes finding them locally. After the rut peak I sometimes see mature bulls taking up travel again, solo, in search (I have read) younger cows that are in small girl groups that hit estrus later than mature cows.
I also noticed older bulls don't bother with exerting themselves protecting cows early or late. They let the younger stupid bulls wear themselves out for no avail at these times.
One of the biggest bulls I have seen was searching for lone cows after mid month. He was rutted down, but had probably done that fighting for status, when it was worth his time- peak rut. Once the cows passed estrus he was outta there because why battle idiots for a prize no longer available.

The best examples I have seen of this first hand has been lesser bulls winding themselves into knots ruling the herd when its clear no cows are coming into estrus because its too early ( the big bulls may even be nearby just chillin) or too late (the big bulls having left for greener pastures).

So the prize then becomes those tiny girl groups and singlets that are out there doing their own thing but not mated yet. I think that is a big part influencing what you are describing.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 01 05, 2022 •  [Post 3]

OK, I accept that. I see it the last week of September when the activity comes back to the late August, early September time. Why does the elk activity drop off so precipitously, so early? Why not just gather cows and keep on going together?
Swede

Postby Tigger » 01 05, 2022 •  [Post 4]

I think the rut influences travel as well as a change in food sources. Either could be your culprit. Or both. Or neither. Could be you falling asleep in your stand from incessant partying down at the local watering hole too.... :lol:
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 01 05, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Jhg wrote:I can't answer the ag fields part but can say travel is pronounced through the first week and falls off after that. Then it becomes finding them locally. After the rut peak I sometimes see mature bulls taking up travel again, solo, in search (I have read) younger cows that are in small girl groups that hit estrus later than mature cows.
I also noticed older bulls don't bother with exerting themselves protecting cows early or late. They let the younger stupid bulls wear themselves out for no avail at these times.
One of the biggest bulls I have seen was searching for lone cows after mid month. He was rutted down, but had probably done that fighting for status, when it was worth his time- peak rut. Once the cows passed estrus he was outta there because why battle idiots for a prize no longer available.
The best examples I have seen of this first hand has been lesser bulls winding themselves into knots ruling the herd when its clear no cows are coming into estrus because its too early ( the big bulls may even be nearby just chillin) or too late (the big bulls having left for greener pastures).
So the prize then becomes those tiny girl groups and singlets that are out there doing their own thing but not mated yet. I think that is a big part influencing what you are describing.

A pretty good explanation!!!

A buddy use to manage a CWMU in Utah. Always had big bulls . Those bulls summered in northern Utah with no cows. And those bulls were gone to Idaho or Nevada about the 8th starting to look for cows.

My observations

watching a big group of elk this year on private ground. after the 3rd week bulls waited in the timber and would bugle as the cows entered the bedding region The big bulls hung around until the first week of October and they were gone.

After Thanksgiving in 500 cows and calves The was generally only one funcky bull who summered those fields that was with the big herd otherwise a handfull of spikes. The big bulls went into seclusion and up higher
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 01 05, 2022 •  [Post 6]

I hate giving Tigger any credit for anything, but I suspect he is on to it with the food source thought, but not the watering hole. I have thought about hunting pressure, but it does not seem to make sense to me. It could be a factor. Anyway, I am redoing the tree stand book and I comment on the mid-season dilemma without ever saying why. I recognize the situation but am not sure why it happens. My editor (sister) asked about that. I could have said something on the order of, "That is such a stupid question because even an idiot would know the answer", but I might not have an editor anymore. And then again, she just might persist and call my bluff and you know who the idiot would be. :D
Swede

Postby Jhg » 01 05, 2022 •  [Post 7]

Slow times in the Tree. At least you are not back at the truck 10:30-3:30. (

I usually see travel bulls between those times and they are mature bulls most of the time.

5556EF5D-B400-414E-97BB-1D8B90709797.jpeg
5556EF5D-B400-414E-97BB-1D8B90709797.jpeg (71.54 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
Jhg

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2022 •  [Post 8]

I can't say I see more mature bulls during midday than any other time. I see more in the mid-afternoon through the evening. I have been thinking about Tigger's take on feed. That may explain some of it. but does not take into account the difference in cattle grazing, or the difference in how precipitation and summer weather can affect the grasses.
Swede