Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First Wolf Livestock Kill in Colorado in Decades

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

First Wolf Livestock Kill in Colorado in Decades

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 24, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Tragic. Has the introduction of the Canadian grays started in CO already? I knew it was on the way but didn’t know it had started. It’ll take a few years, but it’s gonna decimate the elk herds, even more so than in MT and ID. :oops:

https://patch.com/colorado/boulder/first-wolf-kill-livestock-decades-confirmed-colorado
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: First Wolf Livestock Kill in Colorado in Decades

Postby Lefty » 12 24, 2021 •  [Post 2]

the start of another green feel good fiasco
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 12 25, 2021 •  [Post 3]

They will not turn things around. We’re outnumbered. One dead cow is just the tip of the iceberg. Wolves get pretty brave after awhile.

I had a neighbor in Montana come up his driveway to see a wolf chasing a horse in circles in a fenced pasture. All the while another wolf sat at the top of the hill just watching and waiting to take his turn running the horse to exhaustion. The guy flew up to the house to grab a rifle but he was too late. The horse was dead before he got back. I have a hundred other stories of personal experiences with wolves. Once they move in it’s like trying to get rid of mice in a barn.

My friends in Montana are trapping like crazy right now. Killed 7 so far. Sounds good right but if you kill 7 mice in a barn what have you accomplished? Not much right.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 12 25, 2021 •  [Post 4]

These wolves migrated in by themselves. The program to bring more in has not started yet
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 12 26, 2021 •  [Post 5]

saddlesore wrote:These wolves migrated in by themselves. The program to bring more in has not started yet

Maybe.

A former student of mine killed a wolf in their calving pasture.
The wolf had a chip in it,, A wolf lover from Utah "Lost his "pet wolf" while winter camping ( yeah right). in southern Idaho. The "Pet Owner" Wanted the kid to pay him for killing his pet wolf.
It wasnt hard for me to get grandpa and Idaho fish and game involved .

There is some talk that wolves were being transplanted in Yellowstone before the Federally funded stocking started ..

Colorado is sunk.

And soon many other states will be too. Most dont know but the original plantings in the Rocky Mountians wolves was the Antis hope to reduce or eliminate big game hunting.
Huge blocks of public lands was planned to be closed to the Lynx reintroduction.
The idea of closing public lands to trapping, then other hunting is the ploy animal rights wackos promote because a wolverine or Lynxx cat need more protection help
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 12 27, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Lefty wrote:
saddlesore wrote:These wolves migrated in by themselves. The program to bring more in has not started yet

Maybe.

This past year there was a confirmed wolf kill of an elk in extreme NW corner of Colorado.The cow calf was very close to the Wyoming/Colorado line.
It is more than likely these were ones that migrated out of Wyoming as wolves have been spotted in Southern Wyoming for the last two years
I have no doubt that CPW would lie to save face.

At my age and health , my elk hunting is about done and it won't effect me. Colorado voters could have easily defeated anti hunting Polis and even had a recall that was defeated because voters were too damn lazy to get out and vote . All these hunters that thump their chest saying how bad wolves will be could have done the same thing with wolf initiate. Every time something like this comes hunters run around,waving their arms, posting on social media, but say screw it at the polls.

I go to every CPW meeting in my area. There might be 20 people there when there should be 500. It was the same thing with trapping, spring bear hunting using dogs to hunt bear. Colorado hunters are partially to blame
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 12 27, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Only 8.3 percent of Oregonians over the age of 12 have a hunting license. Many of these licensed hunters do not elk hunt. Some don't vote and some actually agree with the antis.
The antis bring film clips into their advertising, showing hunters engaged in things we as law abiding hunters find repulsive. We bring nothing up to counter their argument except complaints on forums and gun magazines.
Ask yourself, why shouldn't a voter in Denver or Portland want to have Canadian grey wolves back in the wilds they believe they once roamed. What do these voters have to lose? Aren't you just a greedy redneck that wants all the game to yourself? You just think you own all the elk. :D Just food for thought.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jhg » 12 27, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:...We bring nothing up to counter their argument except complaints on forums and gun magazines.
...Just food for thought.

I think introducing wolves into Colorado is ill advised and I voted as such. But that is all I did.

I agree with Swede and am encouraged he had the guts to say it out loud. I am old but remember thinking as a young man the world was going to end when a president was elected whose ideas where polar opposites to my own. Guess what? Our country not only survived, but thrived. I remember when they mandated steel shot for waterfowl. Today with ever improving non-toxic loads, guys STILL complain about not being able to use lead shot, 50 years later. Meanwhile, the rest of us are out having a great time hunting waterfowl. Get over it and move on.

Point being is yes its going to change the elk herd and how that herd behaves. But I refuse to let that ruin my hunting experience. Life is way too short to let something like this dominate our view of hunting elk. I will adapt, take the good with the bad and enjoy what years are left gifted me to be able to get out and hunt elk.

On a recent podcast the host asked Elknut what he thought about wolves and how they affected his hunting. Not much at all and he felt people made too much out of the impact wolves have on hunting.
The predation on livestock is a separate issue and one that will be dealt with I am certain. We have never left ranchers and farmers holding the bag when it comes to lost livestock that I am aware of.
So I am not going to hate on wolves any more than I am going to hate on my new a-hole neighbor who calls the city code enforcement every time I park my chipper and chip truck in front of my house. It is what it is and sometimes its best just to roll with the changes and just keep moving forward.
I am willing to talk about elk hunting tactics in wolf country. But if its a b_ _ _ ch and moan session about wolves and how life's ruined leave me out. It serves no purpose but to embitter us.
Jhg

Postby saddlesore » 12 28, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Jhg wrote:
Swede wrote:...We bring nothing up to counter their argument except complaints on forums and gun magazines.
...Just food for thought.

I think introducing wolves into Colorado is ill advised and I voted as such. But that is all I did.

I agree with Swede and am encouraged he had the guts to say it out loud. I am old but remember thinking as a young man the world was going to end when a president was elected whose ideas where polar opposites to my own. Guess what? Our country not only survived, but thrived. I remember when they mandated steel shot for waterfowl. Today with ever improving non-toxic loads, guys STILL complain about not being able to use lead shot, 50 years later. Meanwhile, the rest of us are out having a great time hunting waterfowl. Get over it and move on.

Point being is yes its going to change the elk herd and how that herd behaves. But I refuse to let that ruin my hunting experience. Life is way too short to let something like this dominate our view of hunting elk. I will adapt, take the good with the bad and enjoy what years are left gifted me to be able to get out and hunt elk.

On a recent podcast the host asked Elknut what he thought about wolves and how they affected his hunting. Not much at all and he felt people made too much out of the impact wolves have on hunting.
The predation on livestock is a separate issue and one that will be dealt with I am certain. We have never left ranchers and farmers holding the bag when it comes to lost livestock that I am aware of.
So I am not going to hate on wolves any more than I am going to hate on my new a-hole neighbor who calls the city code enforcement every time I park my chipper and chip truck in front of my house. It is what it is and sometimes its best just to roll with the changes and just keep moving forward.
I am willing to talk about elk hunting tactics in wolf country. But if its a b_ _ _ ch and moan session about wolves and how life's ruined leave me out. It serves no purpose but to embitter us.

The problem with that mentality is CPW in Colorado will be paying for livestock depredation from funds garnered from hunting licenses.If you think the ranchers have not been left holding the bag,you need to get out and talk to them and find out what all they have to do the get compensated for wolves killing their livestock. As for non toxic vs lead shot, it went from $6/25 to $25 /25. That might not effect you,but certainly does for hundreds of other water fowl hunters.

The people who voted it in don't contribute anything to the compensation. As far as the elk herd adjusting.That is pure BS. The elk herd in Yellowstone went from over 15,000 to less than1500 because of wolf depredation. Similar numbers exist for other parts of WY, and ID, MT. Maybe Elknut hunts in different area, but his opinion does not coincide with thousands of what other hunters have experienced that show up on social media and Wildlife commission meeting..

Saying people just pi$$ and moan and not to get excited is short sighted and pays no heed to what our children, their children,and future hunters will suffer from it. It is a mentality of " I got to do my hunting and now everyone else doesn't need to". You might be old, I am 78 and there are heck of lot of young hunters too that will be adversely effected. If all all you did was to vote against it and not get involved shows a complete lack of knowledge of the problem.
saddlesore

Postby Jhg » 12 28, 2021 •  [Post 10]

The elk herd in Yellowstone was overloading the browse by a large margin. I suppose the insane price of an elk hunting outfit like Sitka offers is ok but 25 dollar a box of shells that might help birds of prey is an egregious example of economic down pressure. I voted against wolf introduction and made sure my large extended circle did as well. But no way will I be at the sour grapes wolf party. They are here. No amount of griping is ever going to change that We should put our energy where it will do some good and it is not bemoaning what is under the bridge. We can tie ourselves into knots over how bad its going to get, how tragic it is, how unfair, stupid, left wing and on and on and on. But that seems unproductive. Young hunters vote don't they? Its on them to protect their future, not on us. We already did our job fighting for what we felt was right. Our job making our kids future better ended when they become adults.
Me? I am going hunting elk. Not because my head is in the sand and I am selfish. But because I don't need to feel wolves have ruined my life or my kids lives. It might be different. It might be frustrating. But I am going to enjoy it for what it is and even at its worst its better than most things. We can choose to have the wolf issue be the defining moment of how we view our hunting lives, positive or negative. I am not going to do that. I did what I had time and energy to do to stop wolves, after taking care of my business and my family first.
Jhg