Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

30 second shot!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

30 second shot!

Postby lilshootergirl » 12 19, 2021 •  [Post 1]

My season had so much brake downs, leaking propane, tires leaking air! But I got out there and hunted harder than I've ever! I couldn't figure out why I was so sick every day on 1st day it snowed hard, 10 degrees, but that wasn't going to stop, could see any further than 100 yards, so I figured if I can see ill track them, nothing moving, 2nd day was way better, by 3rd day I found a great spot to glass, yep it was I saw elk on the next ridge, ranged it, grab rifle and they were gone! The bull I've always dreamed of! As the tears ran, I felt so mad! What else I could have done to have made this shot? So I pressed on! I thought hunting in snow would be Awsome, NOT, it freezes at night and you sound like a elephant in a China cabinet. I took my buddy to airport when I returned to camp I could smell propane which explains why I was going through so much. So I tried just a small heater, but generator wouldn't run, my neighbors said my whole trailer was really full of propane and I'm lucky I woke up! So I packed up, move to town, got a hotel room so I could air out my trailer, next day found a very nice man who would look at it. He told me my carbon detector wasn't working & my hot water was leaking propane.
So I went to a bigger town so I could fill my list he gave me! I lost 13lbs from not eating, finally I got some calories, next day I did laundry, talked to some locals who gave me some areas to hunt, so I did! Nicest group of people! I seen a lot of great areas to hunt but no elk!
So I'm selling my old trailer, motor home & buy a newer safer trailer.
2023 ill try again, this time with help, I have to say its so hard doing long distance hunting alone, besides my brother recovered from mouth cancer and they said it may come back, we've been dreaming of a elk hunt together so were going to do it before he can't.
I've learned so much on this hunt than any hunt i've ever have, I will get Hank someday!
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Re: 30 second shot!

Postby Swede » 12 19, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Shooter: I really am pleased to read about your perseverance. Many hunters quit after they don't fill their tag after a few seasons. You will figure it out. I don't know your situation, but suspect it was a mistake to go hunt where friendly and helpful town folks told you to go. That too is a lesson we learn. Learn your area, get to know the elk and hunt your hunt. There is a time to change, but I need to know more that the locals just telling me about a new area.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 12 19, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Build upon your experiences. Some years everything comes together,,, some years no so much..

Keep going on, elk hunting isnt always easy and nearly always a learning experience

My father in law has a horror story about propane and his hunting trailer ( 1959) he spent 6 months recovering before he could go back to work
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby lilshootergirl » 12 25, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I figured that my life is worth more than big Hank! In 2023 ill go again with family, I realized I can't do this alone! A new trailer & the knowledge I gained, ill start to get my elk!
Merry Christmas!
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby ABQ_Chica » 12 27, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Ugh...what an "adventure." I'm very glad you made it through safely. And I admire your perseverance.

It's all too common that the biggest challenges of our hunts have little to do with the actual hunt! But if you're always willing to learn and adapt, you still come out ahead. Here's to a better (and safer) 2023 hunt for you!
ABQ_Chica

Postby Swede » 12 27, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I do not know if you gals realize it or not, but women make some excellent outdoor writers. Women usually personalize more how they experience their adventures. Not to put down anyone because some guys are excellent at this too, but with women as with any good writer, we are brought along to feel the cold or heat, the steepness of the mountain and a pause to reflect on the environment including the flora and fauna. I enjoy the read when problems arise, and I get a good picture of your setbacks and how you dealt with it. Successes are something for everyone to experience.
Let me encourage you gals to write and share on a regular basis. A good story is not just about the kill.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics