Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk calling surprises?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk calling surprises?

Postby wawhitey » 12 13, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Ive heard enough stories about people calling elk and having lions, bears, wolves come in to know it happens. Happened to a friend of mine. Making cow calls, big bear came charging in. He yelled and waved at it which stopped it for a second then it continued charging at him. Then something something....

Has this ever happened to anybody here? All you elk hunting fools, any big predators called in making elk sounds?

Tomorrow morning im changing up my lion hunting routine. Going into my elk spot and im just going to park my butt under a fir tree and spend an hour or so just making occasional cow mews. See what happens. Seems quite often when i get elk on cam theres a lion in short order. And with our massive deer die off this year i suspect the cats will be shadowing the elk even more than normal.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Elk calling surprises?

Postby 7mmfan » 12 13, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I have yet to call in a predator while predator calling. I have however called in lots of deer using a fawn in distress call. Does that count?
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 12 13, 2021 •  [Post 3]

7mmfan wrote:I have yet to call in a predator while predator calling. I have however called in lots of deer using a fawn in distress call. Does that count?

Nah, doesnt count. Keep tryin!

Ive called in a number of does doing the fawn thing. Called one in just a few days ago infact, which is odd because usually by mid / late fall does seem to stop coming in to my fawn noises. Maybe its a hormonal thing that makes them lose their maternal protective instincts, or maybe its just coincidence, i dont know. But one of my favorites was a couple years ago early august, making lost fawn bleats for bear. Right away a doe came charging in hard, to maybe 20 yards, all worried. I waved at her, tried to make it obvious what i was, and that just started her pitching a fit. So i decided to play off of it and got all panicky with my fawn noises, distress type bleats. And sure as shit, big old bear came creeping in on me and i shot him in the head at about 15 yards. For once a loud mouthy doe came in handy.
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 12 13, 2021 •  [Post 4]

__Neighbor had a bear run over his son and run into him,, before he shot it

__We called a bear in last year,, well we think it was a bear. the cover was too thick. Ran past my daughter towards me, winded her and left. Kind of cool I could see brush moving

__Four years ago,, We came off a stand , and just down the teal was a huge black grizzly,,,We haven't hunted there since.

__While following a herd in the dark , Some of the herd was under 50 yards I squeaked in an owl, then a coyote. The owl was going to sit on my bow until it saw my eyes.. The coyote was inches away and did what I call "turned inside out to get away.

__A handful of other hunters

__The first time I tried bugling in the timber,, A bull elk came tearing in,,, he was hot, I was shaking so bad I couldn't get my release on my D loop. That elk got down wind and left as fast and noisy as he came in.

--Had a badger that was on a mission, I stepped out of his way, he just looked at me and kept going,, I was really expecting a bear, elk or wolf to be right behind him
Ravens crows, eagles

--A the bull moose . I called it in , it was looking for a fight, and the bull elk didnt want to brawl. My daughter and Andrew ran back to the trail head Andrew said the bull moose kept eyeballing him Julie slipped out and later said she could our-run Andrew scared any day
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Billy Goat » 12 14, 2021 •  [Post 5]

I have not KNOWINGLY called in a predator while using elk sounds.

have encountered several bears in the woods, but never in response to a calling sequence. have yet to see a mountain lion, though I suspect they have seen me.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 14, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I was doing one of my silent calling routines when I heard a twig snap about 15 feet behind me. I slowly turned my head to look and there was one of those big white sheep guard dogs sneaking in for a free elk dinner. I jumped up and yelled. He turned wrong side out and took off like he was shot out if a cannon. LOL! Dang! I wish those sheep herders would feed their dogs more often.

One other time I bugled and two border collies came charging in. Luckly the herder was right behind them on his horse and called them off.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Jhg » 12 14, 2021 •  [Post 7]

In the early days and near the end of the elk season I was so desperate to get a bull elk I just went nuts bugling all sorts of wild bull screams and a bunch of other sounds not real elk-like, I am sure. In comes a big ol silverback bull moose ready to throw down. He caught me out in the open. All I could do was jump up and down and wave my bow around and yell.
He went past me at about 4 foot.

I think if it had been the rut I woulda been toast but he had regained enough perspective to finally realize I was not a moose.
He was a beautiful animal I remember that.
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 12 14, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Jhg wrote:

Ive never seen a beautiful moose under 15 yards
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 12 14, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Lefty wrote:
Jhg wrote:

Moose are one of the ugliest creatures roaming the woods
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 12 14, 2021 •  [Post 10]

wawhitey wrote:
Lefty wrote:
Jhg wrote:

Not so much their looks,,, but their demeaner, and they get bigger when looking up at them.

When my daughters hunted their Idaho bull moose I always had buckshot back up. I was not happy when my wife and FIL let her out of the truck , first shot at 7 yards 2nd at 5 yards
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 12 14, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Lefty wrote:
wawhitey wrote:
Lefty wrote:
Jhg wrote:

Not so much their looks,,, but their demeaner, and they get bigger when looking up at them.

When my daughters hunted their Idaho bull moose I always had buckshot back up. I was not happy when my wife and FIL let her out of the truck , first shot at 7 yards 2nd at 5 yards

Them idaho moose must be cranky. Had myself a bad encounter with a bull last november east of sandpoint
wawhitey

Postby Jhg » 12 14, 2021 •  [Post 12]

I took this photo when I was 22. (62 now) I was using a 50mm lens so he was only about 10 feet away.
He was hanging around our camp site next to a pond in Maine near where I grew up. That night we took the canoe and when his head was under water (feeding on underwater lilies and stuff) we paddled up next to him and I was going to jump on. My buddy had his flashlight on so I could see. Just when I was stepping over the side the moose brought his head up out from under water to swallow another helping. He saw the light. He saw the canoe with the two idiots. He saw one idiot (me) starting to climb onto his back.
To say all hell broke loose is an understatement but since he was in pretty deep water all he did was go for shore, leaving quite the wake. We paddled like hell to try to catch him but to be honest our hearts were not really into it. We both (well, we three) had just had the shit scared out of us and that was enough adventure for one night.

You don't have to believe it, but thats what happened.

215B7EE2-9A89-4701-876C-69B4B063FFA9.jpeg
215B7EE2-9A89-4701-876C-69B4B063FFA9.jpeg (100.35 KiB) Viewed 2361 times
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 12 14, 2021 •  [Post 13]

wawhitey wrote:
Lefty wrote:
wawhitey wrote:
Lefty wrote:
Jhg wrote:

Them idaho moose must be cranky. Had myself a bad encounter with a bull last november east of sandpoint

Ive spent a couple evenings in trees. Jr moose had an interest in me: momma didnt like me one bit . Happened in the same canyon, two years apart.. Then a couple young bull got all pissy because I was trying to hunt deer

I did walk into the bedroom of a huge huge bull and his girlfriends , He was kind enough to let me slip back out
Lefty

Postby Swede » 12 15, 2021 •  [Post 14]

It seems that when I start calling, I hear laughing in the background forest. I don't get the joke, but apparently, I said something funny.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 12 15, 2021 •  [Post 15]

Swede wrote:It seems that when I start calling, I hear laughing in the background forest. I don't get the joke, but apparently, I said something funny.

maybe you need a new bugle

download.jpg
download.jpg (5.71 KiB) Viewed 2340 times
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 12 15, 2021 •  [Post 16]

Well, between today and yesterday i did 7 calling sessions for lions using just cow elk noises. No takers. Today there were wolf, bobcat, coyote tracks everywhere, but no lion tracks. Was half expecting wolves to come in to the elk sounds. Going to take tomorrow off, then go back out and continue to try to call a cat in with elk noises.
wawhitey

Postby Elkhunttoo » 12 17, 2021 •  [Post 17]

Called in several coyotes while cow calling over the years…that’s the best I can do though
Elkhunttoo

Postby Bowhunter98675 » 01 29, 2022 •  [Post 18]

I called in a bobcat while bugling. Five minutes later I had a bull coming in. Great opening evening hunt.
Bowhunter98675