Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Idaho nonresident tags

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Idaho nonresident tags

Postby Elkhunttoo » 12 01, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Who was able to get the Idaho nonresident tags they were after?

My brother in law got a rifle tag but definitely not the archery tag he wanted.
Elkhunttoo

Re: Idaho nonresident tags

Postby wawhitey » 12 01, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I have every intention of hunting idaho next year, but just for wolf and lion, so no big hurry to get my tags.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 12 01, 2021 •  [Post 3]

So sad.
The hunts go fast.

My condolences to those that did make it.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fridaythe13th » 12 02, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Maybe I'm a minority but I like the system. Just go on line get a number if your number is low enough you get a tag. If not plan B or C. The year I stayed up till 2 in the morning calling and watching the circle of death on my computer for 2 hours was brutal. It maybe help we were 3 for 4 on tags for a decent zone. The bad part is I have to tell my friends no Canada fly in fishing trip this year for me because I got a elk tag. That was plan B. Lol
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby CampCreek » 12 02, 2021 •  [Post 5]

I was one of the lucky ones. Got on and was number 298 so I got the archery tag I was after. Which means I get to hunt with my son from Idaho next year!! Those opportunities won't come along very often so I feel blessed. My brother got on and was given number 12143, so he was out of luck for the rifle tag he wanted.
CampCreek

Postby Elkhunttoo » 12 02, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Just curious how early before the 10 am start time did you guys both log on. My brother in law logged on an hour early and it booted him out of the room after 20 minutes…so he logged on at 9:30 and when 10 am hit he was given a number in the 15,000’s
He was instantly bummed but tried to hold out hope all day.

He lived in Idaho for 15 plus years. From what I understand if he would of bought a lifetime license before he moved he could still get a resident tag but would have to pay nonresident prices…if we would of known it was going to switch he would of bought it
Elkhunttoo

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 02, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Kicked the spud state to the curb, on to the Cowboy state in 22.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby 7mmfan » 12 03, 2021 •  [Post 8]

I considered not participating this year, but I'm weak, so I caved. I was able to get an elk tag in my desired unit. Unfortunately, I was the only one in my group to do so. After this year, if ID doesn't change their system to allow for group applications, we will no longer be participating. Like RJ, we'll be all in on the Cowboy State. We should have enough points then to get elk tags.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby CampCreek » 12 03, 2021 •  [Post 9]

I logged on as soon after 9:30 as I could. After last year's fiasco I was expecting the worst but was very surprised when my number came up so low. I was very nervous the whole way through though after last year timing out even though I had everything done in time. I can't imagine they will continue with this system with all the unhappy people it creates. I know if it wasn't for the chance to hunt with my son again, I wouldn't put up with the frustration.
CampCreek

Postby Otcbowhunter » 12 05, 2021 •  [Post 10]

I love the system! log on, get your number and wait your turn. Maybe that's because I was #1242 and drew the tag I wanted. Elk archery for me. Logged in about 9:50.
Otcbowhunter

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 05, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Otcbowhunter wrote:I love the system! log on, get your number and wait your turn. Maybe that's because I was #1242 and drew the tag I wanted. Elk archery for me. Logged in about 9:50.
. Nice work and good luck on your 22 Spud State elk.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 12 05, 2021 •  [Post 12]

CampCreek wrote:I logged on as soon after 9:30 as I could. After last year's fiasco I was expecting the worst but was very surprised when my number came up so low. I was very nervous the whole way through though after last year timing out even though I had everything done in time. I can't imagine they will continue with this system with all the unhappy people it creates. I know if it wasn't for the chance to hunt with my son again, I wouldn't put up with the frustration.

Just what the biologist told me,,, There may not be OTC for residents soon.

Idaho needs to get the legislature out of the wildlife "management " business
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 12 05, 2021 •  [Post 13]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Kicked the spud state to the curb, on to the Cowboy state in 22.

Were trying to add Big Sky country.
Lefty

Postby Elkhunttoo » 12 10, 2021 •  [Post 14]

Thanks for the info and good luck to all that got tags…good luck to those heading to Wyoming too…my guess is that in the next 15-20 the OTC tags are going to take some major changes for residents and nonresidents alike in all states with the way the population seems to be growing
Elkhunttoo

Postby huzkers89 » 12 22, 2021 •  [Post 15]

Didn't get lucky enough to get a draw for archery but see there are OTC but the units look bleak. I have a friend that grew up in Idaho and stated the units still available are backpacking in and/or use of an outfitter.

certainly not opposed to backpacking in but possibly will just skip Idaho this year. :|
huzkers89

Postby Old school » 12 29, 2021 •  [Post 16]

Didn’t take part in this fiasco. I’d rather see Idaho move to a draw and PP than what they are currently doing. I’ve hunted elk in Idaho 3 times but not anymore. When you’re trying to hunt together as family, this is a disaster of a system/solution. Maybe 1 person gets a tag, maybe 2, who knows… It’s a joke in my opinion.
Old school

Postby Swede » 12 30, 2021 •  [Post 17]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Kicked the spud state to the curb, on to the Cowboy state in 22.

It that going to be in a new pickup or in the old? :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 12 30, 2021 •  [Post 18]

Old school wrote:Didn’t take part in this fiasco. I’d rather see Idaho move to a draw and PP than what they are currently doing. I’ve hunted elk in Idaho 3 times but not anymore. When you’re trying to hunt together as family, this is a disaster of a system/solution. Maybe 1 person gets a tag, maybe 2, who knows… It’s a joke in my opinion.

This exactly. Until they get this sorted out, our group is done with ID I think. I honestly cannot believe that they continued that rodeo for a 2nd year. Hunting is about heritage and family for a the vast majority of hunters. To have a state willfully create a system that actively dismantles hunting groups is mind boggling to me.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 30, 2021 •  [Post 19]

Swede wrote:

Ha, hopefully new :lol:
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 12 30, 2021 •  [Post 20]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:
Swede wrote:

What, you havent picked that fancy new rig up yet?
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 30, 2021 •  [Post 21]

wawhitey wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:
Swede wrote:

What, you havent picked that fancy new rig up yet?

It’s rotting away in Portland. Tranpo company didnt load her up and deliver this week with the heinous weather (the inches of snow has shut the west side down) :?
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 12 30, 2021 •  [Post 22]

Still in portland huh? Hope you enjoy your new soup kitchen.

"Thanks for the f shack - dirty mike and the boys"
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 12 30, 2021 •  [Post 23]

If your truck is in a safe location, I could go in during daylight hours and take it to my home for you. After it is well broke-in, I might have time to deliver it to your place. :lol:
If your truck is not in a good safe location, most likely there is nothing to go after.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 30, 2021 •  [Post 24]

Ah hah! you too (wawhitey, Swede) south ends of a north traveling pair of elk. Rich from Awesome Chevrolet (yep, that’s the name of the dealership) just informed me, Big White was delivered to Chehalis this evening. They’ll do the PDI tomorrow and Eco Shield Monday. I’ll drop off the red truck and bring the new Trail Boss home Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon (gotta check my schedule at work). Glad the new anti elk wagon didn’t have to spend another night in that mess that is Portland :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 12 30, 2021 •  [Post 25]

Bring a blacklight
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 12 31, 2021 •  [Post 26]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Ah hah! you too (wawhitey, Swede) south ends of a north traveling pair of elk.:D

For sure, we have been jerks. Enjoy your new truck. Show us a picture when it arrives at your home.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 02, 2022 •  [Post 27]

I'm confused! How did your snow camoed pickup have anything to do with Idaho nonresident tags ??? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
>>>---WW---->

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 02, 2022 •  [Post 28]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I'm confused! How did your snow camoed pickup have anything to do with Idaho nonresident tags ??? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

It doesn’t. Swede started it :roll:
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 01 02, 2022 •  [Post 29]

Call off the deal RJ. There is a poor homeless family of four living in it now. They believe they have not only made a great upgrade in their living standard, which amounted to two shopping carts and a blue tarp, they feel more secure. They stretched their little blue tarp out from the cab to the tailgate, then the rear window was removed. Now they are using the cab for a bedroom. Have a heart.
Swede