Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado Unit 68

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado Unit 68

Postby Texasbdog » 11 30, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I inherited a cabin, one fifth of it anyway and have a place to base camp. It’s 86 Acres that has access to the National forest. I have been there a couple times but never hunted it. Anybody hunted Unit 68? I have always hunted near Pagosa Spring. I have been reading that when hunting pressure get high the elk head for private land, any truth to that? I’m pretty stoked, this was kind of a surprise.
Texasbdog

Re: Colorado Unit 68

Postby Tigger » 12 01, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Nope, never hunted 68. But yes, elk can definitely understand hunting pressure and will dive into a sanctuary at first sign of an orange army.

Long lost uncle leave it to ya? That is really cool. Congrats!
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 12 01, 2021 •  [Post 3]

That country west of Saguache does get a lot of pressure on the public land for the 2nd & 3rd rifle seasons which are OTC. Put that in perspective though because about any OTC unit in Colorado has heavy hunting pressure unless it is accessible only by horse or a long hike.
Archery is also OTC for either sex. That can be hit or miss as to hunting pressure,but in the last five years, it has been growing significantly

If you can draw 1st season bull tag then you should do well for rifle as with muzzle loader. Cow tags are by draw for 2nd,3rd, 4th season.

86 acres isn't much for elk,but if they find a sanctuary there,they will move in later seasons. It depends on the elevation of the 86 acres and adjoining National Forest

Deer are all by limited draw and that tag include Units 68, 681,682 for both archery and rifle
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Billy Goat » 12 01, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I sent you a PM.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat