Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Snackages!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Snackages!

Postby Tigger » 11 16, 2021 •  [Post 1]

SO what do you bring for snacks each day and what is your system? Do you have each day prepackaged in a ziploc? Or do you wing it?

I typically bring 2 sandwiches, some granola bars and a snickers or two. I reload my supply daily as needed. One thing I could do better is to eat a little bit more often. I typically hunt until I am hungry and that isn't ideal when you need a constant source of fuel. Especially when you might all of a sudden need a big push to get up a mountain or encounter elk and be on the run for hours.

Anyone want to guess on Swede and Lefty's lunch? I bet sardines and Spam are in there!
Tigger

Re: Snackages!

Postby Tom Grates » 11 16, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Typically I have 2 Cliff Bars, Hershey bar with almonds , almonds or trail mix, peanut M and Ms and some meat sticks, also a five hour energy.
I unpackage everything and put in sandwich bags and all those go into a one gallon bag. The meat sticks get cut up into bite size pieces.
A full Nalgene bottle in my pack, and one in the horse paniers.

Every once in awhile I will make a hard salami sandwich with a slice of provolone on white bread, no condiments.
I also refill all the bags every night so I do not have to mess around in the AM.
Tom Grates

Postby Swede » 11 16, 2021 •  [Post 3]

When I leave home, I know the hunt along with scouting time will last at least two week, and can last as long as five weeks. There is enough for two or three weeks available in my plastic box of nuts, trail mix and cliff bars. After they are low it is time to restock. I hunt out of base camp and restock the day pack each day.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Billy Goat » 11 16, 2021 •  [Post 4]

like Swede, I hunt out of a heavy base camp with lots of vittles.

on the mountain, I carry: one apple, two snack bars, two sammiches.

I re-load every night as soon as I get back to camp: refill food bag + water bottles
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Tigger » 11 16, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Hey Billy Goat, do you pre-smash your sammiches? I find that saves time and effort that you would have to exert while hunting. I usually just make them, put them in baggies and sit on them. If I am feeling like I really need to save time the next day I might even step on them, but you must be experienced in the art or you will break the baggie. I pulled one out of my deer hunting pack the other day that was in roughly the size and shape of a baseball. that is for experts only, don't try that at home folks.
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 11 16, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I prepackaged all my lunches for the length of the season. Usually a small bag of jerky,two protein bards,two breakfast bars as small bag of trail mix, a small bag of miniature candy like Snickers, Milky Wyay,etc and one can of some kind of meat or fish like Kippered herring, Sardines, Vienna sausages.
In my saddle bag is another lunch in case I have to stay out late, a Pocket rocket, cup,and coffee singles
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Billy Goat » 11 17, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Tigger wrote:Hey Billy Goat, do you pre-smash your sammiches? I find that saves time and effort that you would have to exert while hunting. I usually just make them, put them in baggies and sit on them. If I am feeling like I really need to save time the next day I might even step on them, but you must be experienced in the art or you will break the baggie. I pulled one out of my deer hunting pack the other day that was in roughly the size and shape of a baseball. that is for experts only, don't try that at home folks.

pre-smashing is optional, but only recommended for the pro's, as you've mentioned.

in all seriousness, we did start using bagel bread for 1/2 our sammiches, since its more smash-resistant (ie..... presmashed already)
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Lefty » 11 21, 2021 •  [Post 8]

For us its mostly Costco stuff of every kind. Nutbars, trail mix, health mix, granola bars
Toss in apple and plums from our orchard.

Ill eat about every sandwich my daughter makes. I like some sort of egg scramble in a bagel
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 11 23, 2021 •  [Post 9]

I'm finally able to have enough reception to send a pic.
20211123_113251.jpg
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 11 23, 2021 •  [Post 10]

This one is warmed up , and the bagle is grilled.
Attachments
20211123_113828.jpg
Lefty