Attachments
bull 2 resize .png
bull 2 resize .png (517.58 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Re: Finally!

Postby Tigger » 10 18, 2021 •  [Post 2]

hey where is that thumbs up emoji? Ahh, sweet satisfaction. Enjoy it and this is your time to be proud!
Tigger

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 18, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Beautiful bull…congrats!!!
Elkhunttoo

Postby saddlesore » 10 18, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Congratulations.You have certainly paid your dues.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 10 18, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Congratulations on a fine bull. Was it 7 years waiting to draw a certain unit or what?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 10 18, 2021 •  [Post 6]

congratulation on a great bull!!!
give us the story
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby GoGriz1234 » 10 18, 2021 •  [Post 7]

That is some Bull! Congrats!
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby Kessler10 » 10 18, 2021 •  [Post 8]

I started elk hunting about 10 years ago. Shot a cow my second year or 3rd year. since then have been really focused on getting a bull. I mainly archery hunt. And go every year. But will go back and rifle hunt if that particular permit/state allows after archery season. I’ve had a lot of close calls, deflected arrows, good hit on a bull but never recovered, etc.
called in elk for buddies, helped pack elk for buddies and all that. Hiked countless miles and experienced so many ups and downs getting to this bull.

I shot this bull opening morning at 1030am on a general tag in Wyoming with my brother. We were having a snack over looking a saddle. My brother spotted about 40 head coming out of the timber into the saddle and they were turning to go up the opposite side. I slowly grabbed my rifle and turned into kneeling position. I spotted 2 smaller bulls coming up after the cows. I put my rifle on the second bull and just before I squeezed my brother said “big bull coming”. The herd bull was of course brining up the rear and popped out of the timber pushing this heard through the saddle. He turned and was heading up the other side so only had is back side in my scope. For whatever reason he stoped and slightly turned just enough for a good quartered away shot and and looked our direction . I held my cross hair slightly back of his vitals and squeezed at about 300 yards. I saw him take the bullet right away and stagger off to the other side of the saddle into the timber. Just as he went into the timber I got a good look at his left side and saw blood where I hit. I felt it was a good shot.
However after all my close calls I was nervous to go look. We waited and hour and started off. Found blood immediately In the fresh snow. Followed his tracks to where he expired about 150 yards from the shot.

I was more emotional then I thought I would be when I walked up on him. Everything I had done previous years had helped get me to this point. We quartered him up and about 24 hours later had all the meat and head back to camp. It was about 2.5 mile pack out and cool and proud moment for my brother and I.

Saw a lot of elk that morning and was even hearing bugles. It was an epic opening morning!
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 18, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Damn nice Wyoming bull Luke; congrats!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 10 18, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Yep gotta wait for the big one!!!
Great story too!! Thanks Luke!
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Jhg » 10 18, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Thats a super nice bull! A great accomplishment. Very cool (no pun) that there was snow. I would rather have snow than flies any day!
Jhg

Postby Old school » 10 20, 2021 •  [Post 12]

Congrats Luke! Glad it all came together for you and you got to share the moment with family. Awesome

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Indian Summer » 10 21, 2021 •  [Post 13]

It’s been a few years waiting for me too Luke. I know all about emotional too. I shot number 22 a couple days ago. Nothing that big but usually a few minutes after walking up in my bull and dropping my pack….. right in the middle of the sign of the cross, the tears start flowing. Shooter Girl is south of where you were. She said the snow is deep up high. She was ready to go way low but it’s sooo warm out I guarantee the bull aren’t going anywhere. She’s had a few other issues too. I’ll let her tell about her hunt but how about a prayer from the Wapiti Talk family please.

I wish we could post videos here. Got some great footage this week.

Anyway….. congratulations brother I’m beyond happy for you. That bull is heavy to the tips too. A true stud!!!
Attachments
2309EA17-8DED-4DFA-A686-C134F93F5D08.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby 7mmfan » 10 24, 2021 •  [Post 14]

Indian Summer wrote:It’s been a few years waiting for me too Luke. I know all about emotional too. I shot number 22 a couple days ago. Nothing that big but usually a few minutes after walking up in my bull and dropping my pack….. right in the middle of the sign of the cross, the tears start flowing. Shooter Girl is south of where you were. She said the snow is deep up high. She was ready to go way low but it’s sooo warm out I guarantee the bull aren’t going anywhere. She’s had a few other issues too. I’ll let her tell about her hunt but how about a prayer from the Wapiti Talk family please.

I wish we could post videos here. Got some great footage this week.

Anyway….. congratulations brother I’m beyond happy for you. That bull is heavy to the tips too. A true stud!!!

IS just upload it to YouTube and post the link. Very easy to do. We want the goods man!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby longbowelk » 10 30, 2021 •  [Post 15]

Congrats Luke on the success!
longbowelk