Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

OTC hunter numbers vs draw states

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

OTC hunter numbers vs draw states

Postby MtnOak » 09 29, 2021 •  [Post 1]

There are a lot of guys at home tonight scratching their head, literally in disbelief over the number of hunters that showed up in their units that they have never seen there before in Colorado OTC units, I think we are seeing the results of putting 16 more units in the draw last year on top of more people just out hunting.

For those of you that have hunted other states draw is it that big of a difference in the hunt quality vs Colorado ??

Sorry I haven’t been on here in a while gang but you will start seeing me a lot more often after this past week in the Rockies……..
MtnOak

Re: OTC hunter numbers vs draw states

Postby Indian Summer » 09 30, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I’ve never hunted Colorado. Don’t plan on it either after reading a thousand threads like this.At least 75% of the inquiries I get start with “We’ve been hunting Colorado and it’s gotten terrible and we need a new place to call home” I send them somewhere else and they think they died and went to Heaven. My experiences in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming are nothing like those stories. And these days most guys down there say it’s getting worse fast. A friend and his son killed these Colorado bulls in muzzleloader season. But he told me they were damn lucky because they didn’t see much else. They camp at 8500 feet and hike to 11,000 plus every morning. That’s way to much work to find elk!

He’s new to elk hunting with 3 years under his belt. The other day he said “I love it. I wish I’d listened to you 20 years ago” Then he told me about his hunt and that he wants to try Wyoming. He asked about buying points yesterday and I told him…. Do it now or you’ll be saying “I should have listened to you 20 years ago” It’s not that hard to get started.
Attachments
76C15E8D-5E97-4D55-AEA9-929C25C390F6.jpeg
DB512C00-67D2-48B1-AA04-24952B81A376.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby MtnOak » 10 01, 2021 •  [Post 3]

After this past season in the elk woods, it’s looking like I’m gonna start putting in for draw areas and looking at private ranch fees, 5 years ago it seemed like I had a particular Mtn to myself but it has steadily gotten crowded, I can’t blame people for wanting to be out there but it’s just getting too crazy in the OTC places I’ve been in.
MtnOak

Postby saddlesore » 10 01, 2021 •  [Post 4]

The problem being CPW in Colorado is poor management and putting more emphasis on bringing dollars in than managing the elk herd for the benefit the elk herd.Everyone complains about crowding, but won't go to states that limit tags,Colorado is the dumping ground for everyone that did not draw a tag in other more conservative states. Remember,if you are one of the ones complaining, you are also part of the problem.

Archery hunting is far surpassing anything in the past ,and CPW is more than willing to sell every OTC archery tag and center fire rifle tag they can, no matter the consequences to the elk herd.

This past year's herd count, CPW said the elk herd grew by 22,000 elk. That is joke. If one looks at other data,they see elk herds declining or at least reaching management objective. More hunters,less elk.Plus elk are harassed all summer long by other outdoor recreationlists. Cyclist want more trails ,and to be able to ride in Wilderness areas.Hikers/backbackers are everywhere, and many times disrupting calving grounds..

This last year,archers complain about CPW changing some OTC archery units to draw only, but then complained about crowding in other OTC units.You can't have it both ways.Now the archers are complaining more about rifle bear hunts, turkey hunts, grouse season, and muzzle loader season being in that holy one, month long archery season, like they are the only ones that should be in the hunt area for the entire month.

Here is the solution,but you won't find any archery hunters backing it nor will CPW because it will cost them too much money.
Eliminate all OTC archery hunts, and make them draw only with specific limits set on tag quotas. Then limit the season to the last two weeks of Sept. Let Muzzle loader hunters,bear hunters, turkey hunters, and grouse hunters have the other parts of September. Eliminate all 2nd rifle season OTC tags and make it draw only like first season.Then let any OTC tags out for 3rd season.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 01, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Let's face it, Colorado is the dumping ground for hunters that are unsuccesful drawing a tag in other states. And also, the OTC units are also dumping grounds for those that were also unsucessful in drawing Colorado limited units.

I totally agree with Vince that the CPW is a money hungry organization But, eventually even the CPW will have to consider going limited draw for the entire state.
>>>---WW---->

Postby saddlesore » 10 01, 2021 •  [Post 6]

In a few years,wolves will fix all that
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 10 01, 2021 •  [Post 7]

I love the draw system we have here in Oregon. The State can collect money from you for years and consistently say "NO" so you must go to a crowded open unit. And if that isn't fun enough we now get to compete with the wolves. Next season they are going to tighten the screws much more. :evil:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby MtnOak » 10 03, 2021 •  [Post 8]

saddlesore wrote:In a few years,wolves will fix all that

Man……I’m afraid your right about that, a lot of the locals I’ve talked to out there swear they are already there…..
MtnOak

Postby JJ Overkill » 10 04, 2021 •  [Post 9]

I’ve already told my group I won’t hunt CO unless we draw. To big of a shit show. I’d really like to see them cap the number of OTC tags like ID or have a general draw tag like MT. I know that could mean I’m sitting on the sidelines some years but it would make for a better hunting experience and better herd management. But now the great failure of CO to introduce wolves is going to be costly to both.
PSE PRO STAFF since 2013,
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby Lefty » 10 04, 2021 •  [Post 10]

I feel sorry for the NR that applied in Idaho this year. However Idaho needs to start managing elk instead of "general Seasons"

I was told residents will be experiing something new too.

The woods were quite baren of resident wildmen and non-residents
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 10 04, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Lefty wrote:I feel sorry for the NR that applied in Idaho this year. However Idaho needs to start managing elk instead of "general Seasons"

Idaho's new non resident system is a joke. If they want to reduce NR hunter numbers that's fine, but the way they implemented it truly succeeded in breaking hunting groups apart. Maybe that was part of the plan to reduce participation, I don't know. They need to just go to a true draw system so at least groups can apply and draw as groups.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Otcbowhunter » 10 09, 2021 •  [Post 12]

I have hunted the SW corner units that are now draw units since 2009. So this year they cut the tag allocation by 3000 +/- tags. I have NEVER seen so many people in my unit. I have never seen anyone in the basin that I hunt. One morning I called in 2 different hunting groups. My thought, the other nonresidents, and the local residents is all the same. The Colorado DOW is LYING about the amount of tags they sell. Its all about the money for them. Sadly I will be moving to a different state to spend my money next year. A state that truly has a caps on the amount of tags they sell and a state that has mandatory harvest reports.
Otcbowhunter

Postby Lefty » 10 09, 2021 •  [Post 13]

7mmfan wrote:
Lefty wrote:I feel sorry for the NR that applied in Idaho this year. However Idaho needs to start managing elk instead of "general Seasons"

Idaho's new non resident system is a joke. If they want to reduce NR hunter numbers that's fine, but the way they implemented it truly succeeded in breaking hunting groups apart. Maybe that was part of the plan to reduce participation, I don't know. They need to just go to a true draw system so at least groups can apply and draw as groups.

Idaho's problem our fish and game management is run by legislators.

Soon Idaho residents can expect the same program. It is not the fish and games fault from everything I see and hear.
I fugure Ill be in good shape,,, Those the night before hunt guys wont be out there and Idaho had lots of them
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H