Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2021 WapitiTalk "Elk Photo of the Year"Contest

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2021 WapitiTalk "Elk Photo of the Year"Contest

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 27, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Rules for the WapitiTalk “Elk Photo of the Year” contest are as follows:

1. Any member photo containing an elk taken in fair chase during the 2021 season is eligible for entry. If you wish, you may provide a brief narrative to accompany the photo.
2. Super cool prizes will be awarded to the top three or four vote getters (WapitiTalk members will vote on the submitted images). I’ll get the voting rolling in early January 2022.
3. Prizes will be provided by our great forum sponsors. As of now, Heads Up, Swagger, Vortex, VIAM Outdoors, and Clip-Shop have, or will provide contest prizes.
4. All WapitiTalk members in good standing are eligible to submit a photo (yes, even the stinky MODs).
5. Submission period - Open NOW and ends the last day of December 2021.

Good luck to all, and as always, thank you for being a member on WapitiTalk!

Note: This is different, and separate, from our regular monthly photo contest and subsequent photo of the year contest, where all monthly winners are automatically entered into the photo of the year contest (located in the Virtual Campfire forum).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: 2021 WapitiTalk "Elk Photo of the Year" Contest

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 20, 2021 •  [Post 2]

C5DDFD7B-713E-4600-A2C4-AB3E4ECD085B.jpeg
C5DDFD7B-713E-4600-A2C4-AB3E4ECD085B.jpeg (40.28 KiB) Viewed 3179 times

I’m eating tag soup…views were great but I’m pretty sure the soup won’t win the contest ;)
Elkhunttoo

Postby 7mmfan » 10 20, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I didn't get to elk hunt this year. Luckily two of our group that got Idaho tags doubled up on the opener last friday. One of them on their first bull a great 5x6!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 11 08, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Indain Summer
He is your chance. So far no puppies or little kids .
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 11 09, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Lauren Bull resized.jpg
Lauren Bull resized.jpg (371.29 KiB) Viewed 3119 times

This is my daughter Lauren with her first elk. It was a public land, DIY hunt and she hunted hard with lots of hiking and cold mornings! the best part was it was a great hunt as the herd he was with kept changing directions and we had to ping pong back and forth. Eventually, they came out where we thought they would. Photo credit: Me!
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 01, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Giddy-up folks, get your elk photos in. The deadline for photo submissions is the last day of December. Not sure what everybody's waiting for.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Billy Goat » 12 01, 2021 •  [Post 7]

travis packing first bull.JPG
the 5x5 was 44" wide at the tips
travis packing first bull.JPG (304.63 KiB) Viewed 3069 times
I thought he was going to break in two carrying a shoulder and that head.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 06, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Ok, I’ll tell you wild bohemians that I’m on the verge of snuffing this. Only 2-3 entries..really ? Ya, this isn’t gonna happen. It’s an insult to WapitiTalk and the sponsors who’ve pledged prizes. It’s a disappointment.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 12 06, 2021 •  [Post 9]

I think of it this way.

If its good enough to take a pic,,,,, Post em up!!!
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 12 07, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Come on guys! Swede, you shot an elk! Lefty? Indian Summer?
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 12 07, 2021 •  [Post 11]

I would, but I didn't even get to elk hunt this year! I can check with my uncle, the only one in our group to kill a bull. I could post on his behalf I guess?
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 12 07, 2021 •  [Post 12]

Tigger wrote:Come on guys! Swede, you shot an elk! Lefty? Indian Summer?

That was fair chase on my first photo. Just not me.

I didnt have my phone along when I killed my on Friday I did post the story! I took a pic breaking camp, but you can hardly tell I have an elk. And at home an ugly ( wet cow elk hanging from the bottom cord of the truss. )

Not sure how much of the story I ve already posted on Andrews elk. I guess its as much my elk anyways he just shot it :lol:
So maybe the good parts.
Andrew is a new 3 rd year hunter. My daughter got him in on the first bugling elk ever and got in the middle of poachers. Andrew wanted to confront them, My daughter drug him out of the woods before they reported the poachers.
That next Saturday was the opening of goose hunting. The kids a shooter, two limits of geese, 8 shots, and one that he shot was banded.
Then the deer hunt Andrew got a little buck a little buck. Last year pheasents, and a small archery buck, this year a bear and this elk.

Now the this elk story . Before the 15th of September I had called in 7 ( ?) bulls and we stalked another two ( my mess up sorta.) So 9 bulls. I didn't know Andrew was doing!
He would see the bull coming in and try to put the sneak on the :shock: bull. I hadnt realized why I was getting cows in-between us,, he wasn't where he was suppose to be!
And the bulls/herd would bust, spook or drift off

AAAAAAAAaaaFB_IMG_1631893070213.jpg
AAAAAAAAaaaFB_IMG_1631893070213.jpg (71.32 KiB) Viewed 3028 times

Ill try to shorten the story .
We set up a cow calling contest( thats what I call it) Just before noon,, nap time, 2 miles in. We took turns every 5 minutes one or two mews. After 10 cycles ( 100 minutes ) a bunch of cow came in,,, And a bull I had looked for the evening before started talking coming up from the bottom. Still not sure how it happened but that bull came up and got the cows and headed down 700-800 yards.
It took hours to get down to the elk.
4:30
I instructed Andrew to sit in front of "that " sage brush . I stepped back 20 yards and dumped my pack and gave a mew. The bull screamed back And I saw Andrew on his hands and knees, not where he was suppose to be. And like a bug he scurried back , now behind the sage.
I could see elk in the quakies

I made a whiney cow call, As the bull fired back, I was on with a copy of that bugle before the bull finished .
And there the bull was. Right on top of Andrew . I think they both jumped. Andrew claimed he was trying to draw when the bull jumped.
The bull dashed up hill, The bull stopped at my cow call. I saw the arrow and it looked good. ( 26 yards).

Andrew came running down to me all bug-eyed, Realistically I don't think Ive ever been as excited as he was at that moment.
We both knew the shot was slightly high and back, but good.
We gave the elk some time.

Last week I checked the original distance, that bull came in 8 feet from Andrew, maybe a good thing he was on the wrong side of the sage brush.
His second arrow on big game.

We cut up the elk and packed out up 400 feet, down 600, and slightly over 2 miles that first trip. back to camp at 1:59 AM I worked out the numbers Andrew packed 92 lb out that night
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 12 08, 2021 •  [Post 13]

Lefty, was that cow running when it died? :lol:
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 08, 2021 •  [Post 14]

All, reminder that:

1. Any member photo containing an elk taken in fair chase during the 2021 season is eligible for entry. If you wish, you may provide a brief narrative to accompany the photo.

Submitted photos need to be either taken by a member, or, containing the member's ugly mug. No, the submission does not have to be your (the members) elk. I see one entry photo that was not taken by, or, containing the members face; it will not be entered into the voting group. Lastly, please keep the narratives brief/short ;).

Keep em coming!
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 12 09, 2021 •  [Post 15]

Tigger wrote:Lefty, was that cow running when it died? :lol:

With out a block and tackle she was a challenge to get on the ATV. Then loading the ATV in the 14 foot toyhauler RV was another trick My sole purpose of putting her on the post was to get Swede to post up,,, He doesnt seem to take either bait.
We may need to resort to renaming him.

But no she was tied up for a few hours :lol: And cooled down and got stiff,,,,
Lefty

Postby Jhg » 12 10, 2021 •  [Post 16]

I am pretty proud of taking this bull, my best to date. I don't always take pictures of my kills. Never have going way back to my high school days hunting whitetails in Maine.

I hunt in a way that some of you might understand and I am not talking about style. What I mean is this: I want to be in the woods.
Not in a truck driving all around finding places where there are receptive bulls to calling. If that means I lower my chances because the bulls in the woods where I am are not receptive to being called in, so be it.

This bull represents for me a commitment to fair chase, game laws and the notion that we really are only as good as we behave in private. Nobody is going to know if you break a game law.

We are fortunate to have public land. Fight to keep it the way it is because without public land we would be no more than side lined bystanders in a very expensive hobby.

Joshua

CE2DC877-27DC-4D97-BD35-F45E38E25A3F.jpeg
CE2DC877-27DC-4D97-BD35-F45E38E25A3F.jpeg (234.48 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 12 11, 2021 •  [Post 17]

Jhg wrote: I want to be in the woods.
We are fortunate to have public land. Fight to keep it the way it is because without public land we would be no more than side lined bystanders in a very expensive hobby.
Joshua
]

First: Congratulations, on an experience many may never have.
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 19, 2021 •  [Post 18]

Last two days. Get em in folks. Did you get an elk, or involved with someone who did and snap a picture? Some dandy prizes this year, and as always, WapitiTalk members vote on them. Let’s go! :D
WapitiTalk1