Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Why Hunters Quit

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Why Hunters Quit

Postby Swede » 08 12, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I have too many friends and former hunting companions that have quit hunting. Some will go out near home and try to get something on a drive by shooting, but most guns and bows just collect dust. I hear neighbors say "I used to hunt, but not any more." Most are younger than I am and in reasonable health, so why do formerly dedicated and avid hunters throw in the towel?
I am guessing it is too much work and they are not being rewarded often enough. What are other reasons?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Why Hunters Quit

Postby saddlesore » 08 12, 2021 •  [Post 2]

What I see is the over crowding of hunt areas here in Colorado.It isn't worth the frustrations confrontations that takes place.
You pull into a place and the parking is completely full.Set up a nice camp away from everyone and five others will set up their camps 10 yards from you. Get out and set up for a hunt before first light and 2-3 jerks will arrive after daybreak and take position 50 yards from you or even worse,they come buzzing along on their ATV when they know darn well they are not permitted off trail with them.

This new crop of hunters we are seeing want everything given to them and will use every electronic gizmo there is thinking that will help them fill their tag.You can hear them talking 200yards before they cross your path. They don't want to learn and generally are rude when you meet them in the woods. .

Me I just got too darn old with too many parts that don't work anymore
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby rvanbw00 » 08 12, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I think that living in an 'instant gratification' world is something the drives many younger people away from hunting. If there isn't something to post on the 'gram by the end of the day, its not worth their time or effort.

The whole situation is a catch 22. If we lost competition in the woods, there are less people vying for the same resources that Im trying to bring home with me. On the other hand, the less people enjoying the outdoors means the less demand for those wild places, and the better the chance of losing access to them altogether.
rvanbw00

Postby Tigger » 08 12, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Agreed. Instant gratification plays a big role. Surveys tell you that access to hunting areas is a hurdle. I think urbanization is huge. This generation is probably 2 generations from owning a farm. They believe that meat comes from the grocery and heat comes from the furnace (paraphrased Aldo Leupold quote). They went out maybe, maybe once or twice and found little success so they quit.

The guys who have been doing it for a long time are getting up in years and are looking for that younger generation (sons and daughters) to carry the load, literally. Who wants to lug around 2 dozen decoys in the cold dark cattails all alone at 70 years old? The son is in the big city and the grandkids play Xbox all day long and have no interest in being cold and wet or get up early only to try and harvest some critter. So grandpa quits.

That younger generation just isnt getting introduced to the sport.
Tigger

Postby rvanbw00 » 08 12, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Im doing my part to ensure that doesn't happen, at least in my family. It has changed the way I hunt, and involves technology and lots of snacks! When I take the boys (5 and 7) hunting, its usually from a pop up or blind. I hate them, but they enable the kids to move around and eat their snacks without spooking game. I also bring the Ipads on occasion. I cant stand those stupid things either, but if it bridges the gap between snacks and our quarry stepping out in front of us, it keeps the kids interested and makes for a better overall experience. The way I see it is no only are we spending time together in the outdoors, but hunting is being engrained in them at earlier ages, hopefully to last a lifetime.
rvanbw00

Postby wawhitey » 08 12, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Ill quit when i age out. Once my body cant take it anymore. I think its a combination of several factors, most stated above. We live in a world of instant gratification. If a thing is hard, screw it, right? Also access decreasing year by year, causing over crowding and combat hunting. Im fortunate that i live around more public land than i know what to do with. Not the case for most peopke. And people are just glued to their phones, computers and tvs. Why go outside? You can just watch a nature video on youtube.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 08 13, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Swede, I think there's a few reasons why older hunters, even ones in good physical shape, throw in the towel. The biggest reason is lack of partners. Many of us have a group of hunting buddies outside the family, but some do not. Their core group of hunters are their family and if the family doesn't partake, eventually hunting all by yourself not only gets old, but gets difficult, or even a little dangerous. I am my Dad's main hunting partner. Him and I hunt together 90% of the time. I strongly feel that if I didn't hunt, he likely wouldn't either. He is also reaching an age where if he is going to go off road very far, he wants to have backup for when he does knock an animal down. He's cautious and doesn't like to put himself in situations where he could get in trouble. I can see this being a very common situation for a lot of older hunters.

As far as younger hunter recruitment, yeah, the technology gets in the way. Certainly kids these days don't have to work like they did even one generation ago, let alone 2 or 3, so the idea of getting up early, going outside, being uncomfortable for hours or days at a time isn't something that they're accustomed to and see no reason to do. I have a nephew that all he talks about is going bear hunting and fishing. He LOVES the idea of it. But when the reality of it comes front and center, it's a no go. He's not getting up early, and he doesn't want to walk more than a couple hundred yards. 2 hours later he's done, wants to go home. Some of this mentality comes from the age we live in, but a lot of it comes from his upbringing as well. Get your kids outside, get them uncomfortable and get them accustomed to it and a lot of these invisible barriers go away.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 08 13, 2021 •  [Post 8]

I trotted out this line to my daughter the other day regarding training for elk hunting: Embrace the Suck.

Hunting sucks some time. You will be uncomfortable. Too hot, cold, tired, sore, exhausted, bored, hungry, thirsty, etc. You either deal with it or you fold like a cheap tent. Many kids are so coddled that they just do not understand that you can be uncomfortable and still enjoy your day afield. Heck, why limit it to kids, many adults have the same problem.

Oh my GOSH! You have to walk from the parking lot to the Walmart doors in slight drizzle....egads, nobody should have to endure that!!! Then, you have to wait while TWO other shoppers check out before you. Talk about patience, I bet you waited 3 whole minutes! Somebody call the manager and complain!
Tigger

Postby rvanbw00 » 08 13, 2021 •  [Post 9]

That's a good point, Dean. Most people cant appreciate/understand how some of my best memories and experiences come from doing things that have alot of 'suck' involved. Two-a-days, elk hunting, building a house while living with in-laws, etc. all have massive amounts of suck involved, yet I wouldn't trade any of them for the world. The tricky part for me is figuring out how to get the boys through some 'suck' to see the silver lining on the other side, while not ruining the experience.
rvanbw00

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 13, 2021 •  [Post 10]

saddlesore wrote:What I see is the over crowding of hunt areas here in Colorado.It isn't worth the frustrations confrontations that takes place.
You pull into a place and the parking is completely full.Set up a nice camp away from everyone and five others will set up their camps 10 yards from you. Get out and set up for a hunt before first light and 2-3 jerks will arrive after daybreak and take position 50 yards from you or even worse,they come buzzing along on their ATV when they know darn well they are not permitted off trail with them.

This new crop of hunters we are seeing want everything given to them and will use every electronic gizmo there is thinking that will help them fill their tag.You can hear them talking 200yards before they cross your path. They don't want to learn and generally are rude when you meet them in the woods. .

Me I just got too darn old with too many parts that don't work anymore

What Vince said! But, HEY, that's Colorado!!!!!!! Seems like Colorado has always been the dumping ground for those hunters that were unable to draw in other states. :( Personally, as for myself, My health has put a stop to my hunting. I'm pretty much restricted to shooting ground squirrels from the back pourch now days..
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 08 13, 2021 •  [Post 11]

wawhitey wrote:Ill quit when i age out. Once my body cant take it anymore. I think its a combination of several factors, most stated above. We live in a world of instant gratification. If a thing is hard, screw it, right? Also access decreasing year by year, causing over crowding and combat hunting. Im fortunate that i live around more public land than i know what to do with. Not the case for most peopke. And people are just glued to their phones, computers and tvs. Why go outside? You can just watch a nature video on youtube.

I've had acquittances that used the excuse or reason, loss of eyesight, mobility, wolves, too many Utahans, no game, dog died, cost too much, no lease, no one to hunt with. Sold the property/farm, I moved, they moved.

Ive lost my long ago partners. Pete, Sam, Tom, Swaney, Scott were my hunting and fishing buds, Scott stays too busy with work and family. Tom Retired this winter but his wifes health fell apart. Pete and Sam died of stokes, Swaney turned into a drunk and drank himself to death, Cancer got Jon( Scotts baby brother)
Dave the one that got me back into archery, his business boomed with 5 kids he needed to spend time and money with them.

My father-in-laws last hunt was at 90 years-old. His reason for not hunting the past two years, He stays with my mother in law. If she passes before him, he will be back out there.

wawhitey what does that mean?. Im sure you will find a way. My dad got a crossbow, and sat in his truck, He went fishing, needed help in and out of the boat and rode with others out to his fish house and My mom or us boys would pick him up at the lake.

I have a place picked out for when I cant walk for elk.

2013-08-01 07-48-00.JPG

Ive already tried it out
IMG_5587.JPG
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 12]

I think Swede was referring to older hunters. I can think of a couple reasons. Some do lack hunting partners. Talking hunting and sharing success is half the fun. But I also think that some aging hunters lose the desire to kill. I know I’ve become more selective and less about killing. I killed so many turkeys I felt bad and quit hunting them. When my beagles passed I quit small game hunting and now I love watching the bunnies run all over the back yard. But I think there’s another reason.

First you have to ask yourself why people hunt. I always enjoyed a certain amount of alone time. I like honing my instincts by spending enough time in the woods to really slow down and mesh with wildlife. It’s also a time to think. Time to maybe rearrange your priorities and also maybe think about life goals and how you might achieve them. But there comes a point in life where you’re more content with things. You can do your thinking on the back porch. Maybe look at your accomplishments instead of needing more. As you get on the downhill side of life other things become more important such as time with family and friends. Let’s face it time gets limited as you get older and becomes more valuable and hunting can consume lots of it.

And then there are the guys who just killed to prove something to the world until the thrill of that was gone. As far as elk hunting goes there are lots of guys who never get it figured out well enough to have enough success to make all of the costs and effort seem worthwhile.

One thing that I know rekindles motivation to hunt is young hunters. In January we do deer drives in suburban areas. We take young kids and it’s a blast. I leave my gun in the truck and I’m like a little kid myself all excited to push deer to those wide eyed eager little hunters. Once you get to a certain point and the freezer is already full of elk watching them is way more fun than shooting a doe myself.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Indian Summer » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 13]

As far as some young hunters go…. the laziness makes me SICK! Don’t want to get out of bed at all. But if I said hey your mom bought you a new video game then jump up and fly to the tv and have a high score by 6am!
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 14]

Indian Summer wrote:I think Swede was referring to older hunters. I can think of a couple reasons. Some do lack hunting partners. Talking hunting and sharing success is half the fun. But I also think that some aging hunters lose the desire to kill. I know I’ve become more selective and less about killing. I killed so many turkeys I felt bad and quit hunting them. When my beagles passed I quit small game hunting and now I love watching the bunnies run all over the back yard. But I think there’s another reason.

First you have to ask yourself why people hunt. I always enjoyed a certain amount of alone time. I like honing my instincts by spending enough time in the woods to really slow down and mesh with wildlife. It’s also a time to think. Time to maybe rearrange your priorities and also maybe think about life goals and how you might achieve them. But there comes a point in life where you’re more content with things. You can do your thinking on the back porch. Maybe look at your accomplishments instead of needing more. As you get on the downhill side of life other things become more important such as time with family and friends. Let’s face it time gets limited as you get older and becomes more valuable and hunting can consume lots of it.

And then there are the guys who just killed to prove something to the world until the thrill of that was gone. As far as elk hunting goes there are lots of guys who never get it figured out well enough to have enough success to make all of the costs and effort seem worthwhile.

One thing that I know rekindles motivation to hunt is young hunters. In January we do deer drives in suburban areas. We take young kids and it’s a blast. I leave my gun in the truck and I’m like a little kid myself all excited to push deer to those wide eyed eager little hunters. Once you get to a certain point and the freezer is already full of elk watching them is way more fun than shooting a doe myself.

Really agree with this.I will be 78 tomorrow and I really don't need to kill another deer/elk or pronghorn. I have not hunted bulls for 2-3 years and the only reason I kill a cow is for the meat. For some reason,my stomach rejects marbled beef ,so wild game is all I eat. My one hunting partner can't leave his wife due to her dementia now and my other one just had major surgery this year.It is up in the air whether he can go in September. No youngsters around to go with.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 15]

Happy Birthday Vince. I agree with what you and I.S. are saying. I will shoot a cow or spike with no second thoughts. I like the meat. Most (About 3/4) of my elk is given to family. If I buy any beef it is cooked and comes in a bun at DQ. I still enjoy the hunt and the campout.
Swede

Postby Old school » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 16]

For all the reasons listed above. For me I imagine it will be health and lack of partners willing to traipse out west in old age.
Old school

Postby Indian Summer » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 17]

When I’m 70+ I’ll be thankful if I can hunt elk and if so I guaran frickin tee I will NOT be picky! I hunt for meat to a degree. But although I’m past my prime I’m still hitting it hard enough to be looking for a nice bull. It’ll be awhile before I’m done bone collecting. I love a dark beamed white tipped elk rack. But my desire to kill is way down from the past. I used to hunt anything that moved and was legal. Now I really only care to kill a bull elk, a mature whitetail buck, and if I don’t get a buck a late season doe. That’s it. I don’t care about small game or turkeys or bears or lions etc. I am looking forward to the moose caribou hunt next year. Lots of meat and some big racks not to mention adventure!
Indian Summer

Postby Lefty » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 18]

Indian Summer wrote:,,,,,,,to those wide eyed eager little hunters. Once you get to a certain point and the freezer is already full of elk watching them is way more fun than shooting a doe myself.

I may have turned that corner earlier than many.
Ill admit coming from a trappers background every catch was money in the pocket, and as long as I was often catching fur I wasnt pounding nails.
Having three daughters, It wasnt about the kill often. We had dozens of goose hunts I never shot, and we had to be careful regarding possession limits so I didn't shoot. My big joy is watching my daughters be successful. I get some of that from other kids
and new hunters too.

This year was the first year I was ever concerned about not enough game in the freezer, but there is still bear, deer and goose, And you know I do like a good New York steak better than any cut of elk or deer .
I expect to die in the woods, field, mountains or desert: its my happy place, and often spiritual for me.
For me the hunt isnt always about killing, and often the killing needs to be done my way.

I sat with an old fellow one opening duck season evening. ,He duck hunted a neighbors property. and had for 60 years. He was 89 and stated this was his last hunt, and could I send my dog after the ducks in the pond. He was teasing me I was going to miss a church meeting if I didn't get going. His grandaughter somehow drove a mini van to the creek edge, I helped him into the van. His walking and driving days were over, sitting on that little pond days too.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 19]

Legitimate elk hunters do not quit, They Retire!

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby lilshootergirl » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 20]

Like 7mm said hunting can be a drag alone! I try really hard to get family to go! Then they tell me that's not safe going alone. Well if your worried go with me. I've invited a friends husband that's going with me, he's from Arkansas, he's so excited to see what its like elk hunting! And I think he'll enjoy it and go again. Now his boy wanted to go, but I've noticed him playing video games a lot! Not sure I want to compromise this hunt, but will take him on a deer hunt locally, another thing I see some kids don't listen! I take fire arms very seriously. Yea, I think you need to enjoy just being in the woods, without success.
The respect thing is really hard to take, I usually move and let them spook them to me, Lol
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby GoGriz1234 » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 21]

I really hope I am able to stay in the field for as many years as a lot of you. College sports have given me arthritis in my ankles and hands and I was told I had the back of a 75 year old when I was 27 (I’m 37 now). I told my wife I need to hunt as much as I can as I don’t know how long my body will let me keep going. I need to be better about working out and staying in shape, to keep things going as long as possible. Keep leading the way for us younger guys by snapping a ton of photos when you guys are out this year!
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby Swede » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 22]

There seems to be happy medium between beating your body up so that it is broke down prematurely, and not getting sufficient exercise to keep in good shape. My brother worked hard all his adult life and he is wore out. He is a little younger than I am but he cannot get around. He can not help on a pack out any more. Others do not get off the couch or easy chair enough so their body cannot meet the demands of an elk hunt. GoGriz, I suspect you will have a lot of years left if you are careful. Best wishes.
Swede

Postby Leatherneck » 09 30, 2021 •  [Post 23]

Well this is only my 4 th year elk hunting. Been fortunate to harvest an elk the last 2 seasons. I’ve hunted a lease in Ohio for 20 plus years now and wasn’t used to public land out west. But, I went out west to enjoy the beauty and peacefulness of the mountains. I consider harvesting an elk is just a bonus. I say all that because I feel to many people quit because they are to concerned with harvesting than enjoying the hunt. I hunt a draw unit with a vehicle parked in about every spot available. Maybe I’m lucky or I go where others won’t but I rarely encounter other hunters in the woods. I guess my priorities are different then others.
Leatherneck

Postby MtnOak » 10 01, 2021 •  [Post 24]

Old age, or the last 2 generations would rather hunt on Xbox, or they get married and real life kicks in………..
MtnOak

Postby saddlesore » 10 01, 2021 •  [Post 25]

Some of us don't quit or retire,we just wear out
saddlesore

Postby Billy Goat » 10 02, 2021 •  [Post 26]

Godwilling, I will be in elk camp at every opportunity. once I get too beat up to hunt them myself, I'll be camp cook.

I'm being very purposeful in managing our elk hunt team to recruit younger hunters to the mountains. in 2021, I'm teaching them to hunt the mountains. in 2026 they'll be my peers. in 2051, I'll cook, clean and look forward to hearing how the day went at the end of their hunt days.

Vince if you'd like to regale us with stories of mules, tack, packing, and experience..... I'll be coming thru your town on Oct 9th headed to WY. all you'd need is a cot + stories. :)
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby saddlesore » 10 02, 2021 •  [Post 27]

Billy Goat wrote:Godwilling, I will be in elk camp at every opportunity. once I get too beat up to hunt them myself, I'll be camp cook.

I'm being very purposeful in managing our elk hunt team to recruit younger hunters to the mountains. in 2021, I'm teaching them to hunt the mountains. in 2026 they'll be my peers. in 2051, I'll cook, clean and look forward to hearing how the day went at the end of their hunt days.

Vince if you'd like to regale us with stories of mules, tack, packing, and experience..... I'll be coming thru your town on Oct 9th headed to WY. all you'd need is a cot + stories. :)

Give me a shout when you get close.I am about 1 2miles east of Monument,CO,north of Colorado Springs. I have PM'd you my phone number. .
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 10 02, 2021 •  [Post 28]

Billy Goat wrote:Godwilling, I will be in elk camp at every opportunity. once I get too beat up to hunt them myself, I'll be camp cook.

I am looking forward to this part of the total elk hunting experience too. Certainly there is more to elk hunting than shooting the critters. I will also gather firewood and keep the tent warm. :D
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 10 03, 2021 •  [Post 29]

Here it is 6 days from opening day of elk rifle season.It will be the first year in 57 years that I will miss it or any upcoming season.

I did make it out for muzzle loader season, but we only took our mules about 3 miles. We tied them up and walk about150 yards to sit for several hours each of9 days. I saw 1 cow, 2 calves , a yearling, and a bull in one group, but no shot opportunity.

Here is a little advice for you younger hunters 25-35-45 years old. Count up the number of elk hunts you may have left in you to say about 75 years old.You will find it isn't all that many,especially if you don't go every year.Any you miss can't ever be made up. They will go past faster than you can believe.

All my hunting buds of 25-30 years have all had to quit hunting for various reasons. None of the younger hunters I helped in the last 50 years have even called me and ask me t go with them. I packed them in with my pack string, used my camps and packed their meat out. Chose your hunting partners carefully
saddlesore

Postby Indian Summer » 10 05, 2021 •  [Post 30]

Considering where most hunters live and hunt I’d say one big reason they quit elk hunting is because they thought it would be at least something like deer hunting. And it ain’t!
Indian Summer