Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

“My” Dream Hunt.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

“My” Dream Hunt.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 11, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Ok, what is your dream hunt, hunt of a life time; “I would absolutely flip my biscuit” if I could hunt_______ in _______ with _____, or solo, DIY, guided, unguided. You get the picture. And……. GO.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: “My” Dream Hunt.

Postby Swede » 08 11, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I really don't know. I suppose a rifle bull elk hunt with a half dozen of you jerks. That includes you too Tigger. I do not mention more names as there are many here that I would enjoy sharing camp with and going out hunting alongside. Getting a few elk would just be the icing on the cake.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 12, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I’ve always thought the Gila hunt in New Mexico would be an awesome tag
Elkhunttoo

Postby Indian Summer » 08 12, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Dream hunt? Hmm…. We’ll I’d kill to have a governor’s elk tag in Wyoming or Montana. But a dream hunt would be a fully guided fly in hunt in the Yukon for moose grizzlies and sheep. Surf and turf for dinner every night too. And yes I’d like you guys to be there too…. To carry my stuff!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 08 12, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Hmmm. I have the elk bug so bad that either a Arizona or Wyoming governors tag would be great. You guys could be my posse with Swede in charge of the coolers.

OR

An Alaskan moose/caribou hunt.

OR

Both.
Tigger

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 08 12, 2021 •  [Post 6]

This isn't even remotely a question for me. Stone sheep or bighorn tag in the breaks, unguided.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby wawhitey » 08 12, 2021 •  [Post 7]

An interior grizz hunt without a guide would be the ticket for me, but id have to be an alaska resident for that. No thanks. So i guess a washington bull moose tag.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 08 12, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Joe, I am not quite ready for the cooler and kitchen watch, but am looking forward to that day too. I would like to just be there when some others go out and bring back game or a good story. It may nauseate others, but I enjoy reflecting back on hunting 50-60 years ago. Hunting was more primitive then and far less competitive. I knew nothing of P&Y or B&C. Most of the antlers I had were not kept even in a photo.
This goofy thread gives me an idea for another. Let's see.
Swede

Postby elknailer » 08 12, 2021 •  [Post 9]

unit 61 co, which I am about to do come sept. 8
elknailer

Postby dsayer » 08 12, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Not sure if this is my once in a lifetime/dream hunt, but a group of buddies made our 5-year adventure plans a few years ago now. Mine was a solo bighorn sheep hunt, but moving from Colorado to Alabama a couple years ago has made that a bit less attainable.

Still working on reworking my short, intermediate, and long term hunting goals and plans. But that can wait until about September 14th for me...
dsayer

Postby GoGriz1234 » 08 12, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Mine would be a fly-in Alaska moose Hunt, maybe in the Brooks Range. To add the cherry on top, maybe I would stay there after the hunt, buy a small plane, and then do it every year after on my own…
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby Fridaythe13th » 08 12, 2021 •  [Post 12]

10 years ago it was a brown bear hunt, then it change to a caribou for my 50th now I'm almost 49 and Im leaning to a Canada moose hunt with 3 good friends sitting by a fire eating a steak and talking about old memories and making some new ones.
So if someone handed me $30,000 to go on a dream hunt 1st thing would be 3 buddy's and I, guided elk hunt, camping miles back were the elk are singing, I have a muzzleloader in hand. Maybe Wyoming or New Mexico.

But my sister in law ask me if I got $25000 to travel anywhere in the world where would I pick. I said a blackjack table in Vegas. And my wife said florida. My sis in law was mad at us because we didn't pick some over sea destination like Ireland or Sweden. Lol
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby JJ Overkill » 08 13, 2021 •  [Post 13]

My dream hunt would be a Cape buffalo with a bow. I can’t imagine the adrenaline rush it would be to get within 40yds of a big bull and send an arrow through him.
PSE PRO STAFF since 2013,
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby Lefty » 08 13, 2021 •  [Post 14]

Hmmm,,,An Alaskan trip, shoot everything!

if I could hunt_______ in _______ with _____, or solo,
I plan to hunt spring snowgeese in South Dakota with my wife and daughters and have a handful of tornados with 100 goose day,

To shoot a buck 1 inch bigger than what my wife has killed
What Im going for is for me to shoot a bull that my granddaughter calls in!

Im kicking around trapping beaver or coyotes with a friend or two before we cant.

Im really would like my daughter to kill a very big bull here in Idaho that I call in, been working on that.

But shoot a mulies with my wife bigger than anything she or her dad has shot

2015-02-08 14-47-58.jpg

2015-02-08 17-00-25.jpg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 08 14, 2021 •  [Post 15]

Lefty wrote:But shoot a mulies with my wife bigger than anything she or her dad has shot

From the evidence it appears you have a tall order to fill on getting an even bigger buck. Best wishes. There are still a few out and about.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 08 14, 2021 •  [Post 16]

Swede wrote:
Lefty wrote:But shoot a mulies with my wife bigger than anything she or her dad has shot

From the evidence it appears you have a tall order to fill on getting an even bigger buck. Best wishes. There are still a few out and about.

Yeah kinda sucked getting married to someone who had killed a bunch of big, big game. 8-)
But I can spend what ever I want to bring fish home.

Last night I woke up. To fit the full original question,
the dream hunts would be a helicopter Texas pig hunt.
New Zealand red stag hunt Where I magically went up and down the mountains,.. :lol:
A big northern pike fishing trip,,, where the 5-15 lb'ers every other cast . Again I want to magically appear at a cabin with heat and shower and no bugs
Lefty

Postby Old school » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 17]

My sons, my dad and I on an elk hunt - in Wyoming. I got to hunt with my dad for elk and with my boys for elk, but never 3 generations all together at once on the same hunt. Wish I would’ve made that happen.
Old school

Postby Swede » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 18]

I doubt there is any elk hunting in Heaven Mitch. Enjoy it while you are here. Best wishes for this upcoming season.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 19]

Swede wrote:I doubt there is any elk hunting in Heaven Mitch. Enjoy it while you are here. .

Maybe my dream hunt could be to go back in time and do it right, make the correct choice, with my abilities now? Maybe some of those hunts, "a do over" with my wife, my daughters, my grand daughter.

King James Bible Rev 5:13
And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.
Lefty

Postby Old school » 08 17, 2021 •  [Post 20]

Thanks Swede - my youngest son and I are looking forward to spending a couple weeks in Wyoming even though I’m the only one with a tag this year and it’s a cow tag. Going to be a blast! If I kill one early we may venture over into Idaho to our old stomping grounds just to do some scouting.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Elkhntr08 » 09 24, 2021 •  [Post 21]

Any week long hunt with my brother and son. Not picky about the animal, it’s the time together.
Elkhntr08

Postby Jhg » 09 25, 2021 •  [Post 22]

My dream hunt is with my son and daughter. I have neither and am 62 so its not going to happen for me in this regard.
Jhg

Postby Billy Goat » 09 25, 2021 •  [Post 23]

getting to do it this year. :)

8 man camp. two uncles, one childhood friend + son, my dad, and my son. this will be the 3rd elk camp I've shared with my dad and my son. 3 generations worth.

for other details, it's a rifle season, GEN tag, Wyoming elk trip. :)

reminds me of the Augustus McCrae quote: "nothing better than riding a good horse into new country"
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat