Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scouting trip

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scouting trip

Postby lilshootergirl » 08 04, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Well I'm home, 1,232 miles one way! But my motor home had a couple issues, but I made it, with
6 blessings through my brake downs! Elk country is so amazing, beautiful country! My 2nd day was a bit crazy, bear encounter, lightening, thunder, hail, and rain! I mean down pour, 5 miles in the back country, leave it to my side kick Anna, rat terrier/ corgi. she found a spot in the thick pines to wait for a brake! The trail looked like a stream, but I love adventures I always learn something, I was concerned that the lightening would hit my pistol? 3 days later moved camp further north! Sand hill cranes flying over head,cow moose & calf ran through camp, as well as the cattle & there calves. I'm looking forward to my Hunt! I've looked over a different way to get there because I'm not thrilled driving through cabbage patch! On my way home in I-84 south of lagrande there was a wreck, so I op out on waiting 4 hours so I took a alternate route, which only took 2 hours, it was pretty too! I pray I get my bull, I believe I'm doing everything I need to be successful? Thank you Joe hope I make you proud.
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Re: Scouting trip

Postby Lefty » 08 04, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Always nicer to be in elk country!!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby GoGriz1234 » 08 04, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Sounds like a heck of an adventure! Hope this elk season turns into everything you want it to be!
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby lilshootergirl » 08 07, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I pray that I get a nice looking elk. Not only the adventures i've been having. Meat in the freezer and a mount on the wall for once! Not sure what more a girl can do to make it happen? I know ill be so filled with joy to make it happen. I always stay out all day, keep the wind in my face,move slowly, if no signs move on.
Dial my rifle dead on, practice all year long. Just need the chance, and maybe luck,
And thing else I should do? I'm open to any knowledge to be shared!
lilshootergirl

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2021 •  [Post 5]

lilshootergirl wrote:I pray that I get a nice looking elk.

It appears to me that you have all the ingredients you need for success. Now all you can do is to learn your area and the elk that inhabit it. That too will come in time. Go over to your area as soon as you can before the hunt starts and stay as long as you can. It even helps to stay and study your area after you fill your tag.
I remember coming out of a steep canyon in a snow storm just after my season was over. As I approached the road a hunter who knows me came driving up. He could not believe I was out scouting for the next season. You can learn a lot just before and just after a hunt.

Best wishes and keep us informed on how things go.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 08 09, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Really glad you were able to get a hands on look at your hunting area. That’s priceless. It’s a great spot and fits you well. Come hunting season you should show up as early as possible. This year we will show up on the 10th. That gives us 5 days to set camp, cut/split/stack some wood, and take a few hikes. You’re new to the area so you should give yourself several days to hike before the season starts. You’d really be ready then!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby lilshootergirl » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 7]

I have lots of time! And I want this more than anything! Yes ill be up there early, just to see who's where? God I love this area so much, can't wait! I have so much going through my head its crazy, like the post of tactics I read on here, I always find different approaches I having done, or thought of!
I have to say I stay down in the nearest town because I got altitude sickness! I was at 6,100ft for 5 days, then 6,300, bam, Couldn't believe how sick I got, I couldn't hardly walk, dizzy, so I took sudefed! It worked, but made me nursery. Any thing else I can take to help me?
Having had it in years.
lilshootergirl

Postby Indian Summer » 08 17, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Stay hydrated! Add electrolytes to your water. That’s a bit far to drive but the best thing for that is to sleep at lower elevations. Do what you need to do to stay healthy and safe. You better get early starts if you’re driving. Did you find a place for your camper or will you stay at the motel?
Indian Summer

Postby lilshootergirl » 08 19, 2021 •  [Post 9]

I'm bringing my truck, chains, etc, with my travel trailer! The roads were really bad, there were mud slides & rocks, with one spot I had to stack rocks so I coulde get thru it so I didn't rip my sewer out! My trailer is a lot higher than the motor home! If permitted ill bring my chain saw so I can enjoy a fire in the evenings.
Yes its around 1,232 miles if I take I-84, I think ill take I-90 as its a lot easier of a drive! I can drive from 6am-6pm without worrying about hitting animals, one yr it was dusk, just 10minutes from Missoula a guy. Hit elk! It totalled his car. Not a fan of driving at night during hunting season!
I'M so excited i've got all my clothes washed & packed, and power pack, go pro in case I get a chance to film it! I'm sure my brother that's been battling cancer would to see my hunt! Praying my next hunt he'll be able to go with me. We've been best friends since I was born.
lilshootergirl

Postby lilshootergirl » 08 19, 2021 •  [Post 10]

I did some research on meds for attitude sickness, your doctor can prescribe Diamox, I think I'll get me some, has anyone tried these meds before?
lilshootergirl

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 20, 2021 •  [Post 11]

You're doing all the right stuff to prepare for your hunt LSG. Really anxious to hear how you do on your pending hunt. Make sure you take a good handful of pictures throughout your adventure, and, try to write up a few notes after each day. I see a Western Hunter article in the making! If you don't have a Clip Shot, I'd get one if I were you... ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby lilshootergirl » 08 27, 2021 •  [Post 12]

I have a tiny video camera that mounts about anywhere, and I bought a battery pack.I'm hoping to get video & still shots!
I sure pray ill bring Hank home, and a cow!
Everyday I'm getting more excited!
My loads are traveling 3,400 fps. Tight groups out to 500 yards.
I've got a better travel route to get there, its 100 miles longer, but a easier drive for me.
I've been checking the weather, but concerned about the gravel road back there, when I was there, there were lots of mud & rock slides.I'm sure the elk are enjoying all the fed that this rain has brought on.
Boy i've got so much going through My head as I want a big bull so much, failure isn't a options, I'm hunting hard all day & everyday. Thanks for the words of encouragement
lilshootergirl

Postby Indian Summer » 08 29, 2021 •  [Post 13]

Photos and video are great. I’d like to see some after your hunt. But do not even think about trying to video a shot. Fumbling around with a camera when you should be focused on your gun could cost you. Hunting hard all day is the only way! And telling yourself failure is not an option is the way to think. People who kill elk regularly march up the mountains like they own them and hunt like dogs. It sounds like you have everything else in line. As long as you have 4 wheel drive and at least two tire chains you’ll be fine on the roads. There will be other people using the road too so it stays open. Don’t let the ditches suck you in! If you can shoot an elk at 450 yards you’re ready for sure in that department. That’s plenty far enough. What are you using for a gun rest? Important piece of gear.
Indian Summer

Postby lilshootergirl » 09 28, 2021 •  [Post 14]

I use a stone point bipod! I have the legs marked for every position to shoot, makes a great hiking stick too!
Checked weather looks like some snow, I bought chains for my 4x4 truck, travel trailer sits high. I have a friend's husband for the 13-20th, he's 6'3" and in excellent shape! Construction worker. I'll leave home the 7th.
Good luck everyone!
lilshootergirl

Postby Indian Summer » 09 29, 2021 •  [Post 15]

We leave the 9th. Be safe and good luck!
Indian Summer