Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wyoming October calls

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wyoming October calls

Postby Elkhntr08 » 08 04, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Need advice with new time frame. Due to life, I won’t be in southern Wyoming until 10/15. I know a bugle will be worthless at that time, but what about cow/calf calls?
Thinking might have a calming effect.
Any thoughts?
Elkhntr08

Re: Wyoming October calls

Postby Tigger » 08 04, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Cows and calves talk all year long. So yes, should be you should have in your arsenal.

I hunt southern WY. Where do you go? Should maybe PM so Swede doesnt have a tree stand hung over your favorite place!
Tigger

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 04, 2021 •  [Post 3]

If you are real lucky, you may still hear a bugle or two. A few cows that didn't settle the first go around may come into a second heat. But I wouldn't count on it.

Cow calls won't hurt anything but there again I wouldn't depend on calling anything in unless you find a spike bull that is seperated from the herd. Those youngsters are a sucker for just about anything and if lost, they are looking for companionship.

A good call to know is the bark. It will stop just about any moving elk for a shot on a dime.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Wyo67 » 08 04, 2021 •  [Post 4]

October isn't too late. I've had bulls bugling their heads off on opening day of rifle in Area 7 and heard the odd bulge well into November. If they are quiet in southern WY, it's more likely that they have been pressured during the preceding month. I definitely would consider late night locators to try and find elk and as WW said, any bark or cow call to stop an elk for a shot would be a must have.
Wyo67

Postby Old school » 08 04, 2021 •  [Post 5]

First bull I killed was with a rifle in Idaho in early to mid Oct. and we had plenty of bugling - pre wolf days….

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Swede » 08 04, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I agree with WW. Like the others I have heard bugling in mid October, but I would not count on it. Where we hunt I would be more likely to call in another hunter than a bull elk.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 04, 2021 •  [Post 7]

All just depends…I shot a bull 3 years ago towards the end of October and we heard lots of bugling. Couple years before that I have a October/November tag. On November 8th I was in lots of elk sign but it was so thick I felt I was just going to bump them so I sat down and gave several cow calls. Shot a 5 point bull about 30-40 seconds at 80 yards with the old rifle. He came running in. As soon as I started calling cows started answering and I could hear him just crashing through the crap I was trying to hike through…good luck
Elkhunttoo

Postby Elkhntr08 » 08 04, 2021 •  [Post 8]

The reason I’m asking, I was in NW Wyoming 2 years ago on 9/30. Had a bull glunking at me. Had him at 25 yards,,,, with a rifle,,,,it was still archery season. Had given up on taking one with a bow, was getting set for the start of rifle rodeo.
Elkhntr08

Postby Lefty » 08 04, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Spoke with a fellow a few years ago. He uses a bugle into the first week of November. He was telling me the bulls often dont sound back but will show themselves
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H