Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Do you scout your hunt.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Do you scout your hunt.

Postby Lefty » 08 01, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Ok maybe I hike a bit, put out trail cams , camp, ATV, glass a few mornings and evenings, look for updated Earth images; And one year I did watch my bull 17 afternoons before season. So maybe that is scouting.

Do you spend time in the area you hunt before season?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Do you scout your hunt.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 01, 2021 •  [Post 2]

The $10000 question Dennis. Normally yes, even if I know the area. It’s never a bad idea to spend some time in the area you will hunting. Things can change from year to year. This year? Unfortunately no; can’t swing it. Buddy and I are hitting a new area but again, can’t swing a scout trip. My plan is to arrive a few days early, set up camp, snoop around a bit, and then strike up meaningful conversations with the indigenous populations and bring one of them home for dinner. We’ll see ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 08 01, 2021 •  [Post 3]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:The $10000 question Dennis. Normally yes, even if I know the area. It’s never a bad idea to spend some time in the area you will hunting. Things can change from year to year. This year? Unfortunately no; can’t swing it. Buddy and I are hitting a new area but again, can’t swing a scout trip. My plan is to arrive a few days early, set up camp, snoop around a bit, and then strike up meaningful conversations with the indigenous populations and bring one of them home for dinner. We’ll see ;)

I have spent a lot of time google earth and maps !!! Something needs to cure the itch.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 08 01, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I scout my area each year. Right now I have four cameras out. Hopefully they are doing their job and not just goofing off.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Billy Goat » 08 02, 2021 •  [Post 5]

too danged far for routine scouting for me. typically a 14-18 hour 1 way drive depending on unit/state.

if possible, I'll try to include our elk area as part of our yearly summer camping vacation. wife doesnt love those days (no power, and off in the boonies).
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby saddlesore » 08 02, 2021 •  [Post 6]

No scouting.I have been hunting the same two area s for many years.The elk have always been there or will be shortly
saddlesore

Postby dsayer » 08 02, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Scouted every year when we lived in Colorado. Did the trip this year because it's a new area for us but probably won't take summer trips in most years.
dsayer