Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Summer Scouting Trip/Report

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Summer Scouting Trip/Report

Postby dsayer » 07 26, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Well the summer scouting trip is (mostly) in the books. Our group has made the switch from muzzleloader to archery and we're planning to hunt a new area this year. So I traveled the Colorado this week to give it a good look. Scouting itself was pretty successful. We saw a couple bachelor groups as well as as some cows, calves, and spikes. Confirmed some good glassing points, access points, and campsites. Water and feed were in good shape despite this area still being in "exceptional drought" stage. The monsoon rains have been helping it seems.

From there things started to go downhill a bit. My shoe blew out so I had to cut the trip a day shorter than I planned. Then I blew a tire on my father in-law's vehicle coming down the mountain. Of course there was a small fire on the highway so we got stuck on the highway for a little over an hour before I could make it to a hotel. Now waiting on the tire to get repaired/replaced.

Anyway, didn't go exactly as planned but overall accomplished most of my goals for the trip. Will try to post a couple pictures if I can figure out how to resize them from my phone.
dsayer

Re: Summer Scouting Trip/Report

Postby dsayer » 07 26, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Hopefully a picture of one of the bachelor groups. There were two more outside of the shot.
Attachments
PicsArt_07-26-09.50.49.jpg
PicsArt_07-26-09.50.49.jpg (273.08 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
dsayer

Postby Lefty » 07 26, 2021 •  [Post 3]

dsayer wrote:Hopefully a picture of one of the bachelor groups. There were two more outside of the shot.

Nice pic. And where did you say you took that picture!!! :lol: :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 07 26, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Probably Saddlesore has his name and tag on one of these bulls already. Anyway, thanks for the story and picture.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 26, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Great picture! Unfortunatly they probably won't be there when hunting season rolls around.

Hunt where the cows are. That's where those bulls will be come September.
>>>---WW---->

Postby dsayer » 07 26, 2021 •  [Post 6]

We ran into a number of cows, calves, and spikes in the same general area.
dsayer

Postby dsayer » 07 26, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Lefty wrote:
dsayer wrote:Hopefully a picture of one of the bachelor groups. There were two more outside of the shot.

Nice pic. And where did you say you took that picture!!! :lol: :lol:

Here are the exact coordinates Lefty. ;)
16.766679°N 3.000898°W
dsayer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 26, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Our scouting a Blacktail spot but will pull these COORDs up later :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 07 27, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Yahoo! looks like success to me. No excuses now, as we know there are elk there!

I got clearance to do a scouting trip in late august. I really need a mountain fix, so that should get me through to our hunt. I hope I see bulls like that.
Tigger

Postby dsayer » 07 27, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Tigger wrote:Yahoo! looks like success to me. No excuses now, as we know there are elk there!

I got clearance to do a scouting trip in late august. I really need a mountain fix, so that should get me through to our hunt. I hope I see bulls like that.

Looking forward to your report!
dsayer

Postby Lefty » 07 27, 2021 •  [Post 11]

dsayer wrote:Here are the exact coordinates Lefty. ;)
16.766679°N 3.000898°W

I think you may have misstyped the coordinates :lol:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Billy Goat » 07 29, 2021 •  [Post 12]

congrats on the scouting trip. bummer on shoe + tire, but those are natural hazards of scouting.

good news is..... shoe blew out on the scouting trip, rather than day 2 of your hunt. :)

this time of year (summer) is when I do a "gear check" of my boots in particular, because if I need new boots, I probably also need to break them in before SEpt/OCt.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 29, 2021 •  [Post 13]

https://youtu.be/dcksoKZMZYQ

My wife and I on our scouting trip last week
Elkhunttoo

Postby dsayer » 07 30, 2021 •  [Post 14]

Elkhunttoo wrote:https://youtu.be/dcksoKZMZYQ

My wife and I on our scouting trip last week

"Happy anniversary babe." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great looking spot BTW.
dsayer

Postby dsayer » 07 30, 2021 •  [Post 15]

Billy Goat wrote:congrats on the scouting trip. bummer on shoe + tire, but those are natural hazards of scouting.

good news is..... shoe blew out on the scouting trip, rather than day 2 of your hunt. :)

this time of year (summer) is when I do a "gear check" of my boots in particular, because if I need new boots, I probably also need to break them in before SEpt/OCt.

100%!!!

I knew these shoes were going to be toast after this trip but didn't expect the blowout. Oh well... Pretty good for a trail running shoe to make it through turkey season, a summer of running/hiking, elk season, deer season, another turkey season, and then summer training up until now. New pair should be arriving today.
dsayer

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 30, 2021 •  [Post 16]

Thanks! What kind of boots did you end up getting?
Elkhunttoo

Postby dsayer » 07 31, 2021 •  [Post 17]

Elkhunttoo wrote:Thanks! What kind of boots did you end up getting?

I don't wear boots anymore. I have been using trail running shoes the last couple of years. Specifically Altra Lone Peak 4.5. That shoe has been really popular with the thru hiking crowd for years.
dsayer

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 31, 2021 •  [Post 18]

You’ve definitely sparked my interest. I’ve hunted for years in basketball shoes. I just love the comfort, some shoes definitely don’t grip well but I used one pair of Nike’s that were amazing. I hate wearing boots when it’s warmer out and not wet. Most of archery season doesn’t require a heavy boot. I just bought salomons this spring. I got the quest 4, I will use them one wet days and cold days but switch back and forth with my old basketball shoes. I mainly bought the new ones for shed hunting because it’s just brutal on the feet.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 31, 2021 •  [Post 19]

dsayer wrote:

I don't wear boots anymore. I have been using trail running shoes the last couple of years. Specifically Altra Lone Peak 4.5. That shoe has been really popular with the thru hiking crowd for years.

Do you get the ankle gators to keep debris from getting in your shoes? If so do they work?
Elkhunttoo

Postby dsayer » 08 02, 2021 •  [Post 20]

Elkhunttoo wrote:
dsayer wrote:

Do you get the ankle gators to keep debris from getting in your shoes? If so do they work?

My reasonings for the trail running shoes are very similar to your approach with the basketball shoes. The Altra Lone Peak has great traction for off trail and side hilling. I do have the little ankle gaiters and they're fine for the $20. They do a reasonably good job if keeping debris out but I honestly don't have that much of an issue without them. I probably remember to bring them about 50% of the time and rarely does it affect my hunt/run/hike.
dsayer

Postby dsayer » 08 02, 2021 •  [Post 21]

I should go ahead and say...
Do not switch out of a regular boot to a lightweight running shoe at this stage in the game. Heavy loads on a light and low shoe takes lots of training and acclimating. I don't want to hear about anyone twisting an ankle out there and coming here to blame me!
dsayer