Last Name: H

Re: World elk calling contest

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 24, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Very good, thanks ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 07 24, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I am sorry, but the world elk calling championship would be Boring before 6 minutes. This video is over 6 hours long. I would have no interest in the matter even if I could be the World Elk Calling Champ. Probably a close second would be a spectator at the world hot dog eating championship.

Just another opinion for what it is worth. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 07 24, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:I am sorry, but the world elk calling championship would be Boring before 6 minutes. This video is over 6 hours long. I would have no interest in the matter even if I could be the World Elk Calling Champ. Probably a close second would be a spectator at the world hot dog eating championship.
Just another opinion for what it is worth. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Swede: Like any activity something inside you needs to peek your interest.
I can watch a bit of tennis or golf, but fish shows no way. And Ive never played a round of golf in my life.
I have friends that compete in duck and goose calling computations, My association with those guys, and listening to calling made me a better hunter,
Ive followed elk calling ,well sorta, and this week I went to a car show instead of the National Trappers Convention or the Elk Calling, and certainly had no interest in a local parade.

Line by line I dont know what the changes are in elk contestant ( anyone tell us )calling but it was different than in the past.
I find some of the callers idea of a cow mew, lost calf, even a location bugle sometimes a bit different than my own thinking and methodology.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 28, 2021 •  [Post 5]

I heard Cory Jacobsen won the pro division. That makes him a 10 time world elk calling champion. Congratulations to him. He must be doing something right.
>>>---WW---->

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 28, 2021 •  [Post 6]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I heard Cory Jacobsen won the pro division. That makes him a 10 time world elk calling champion. Congratulations to him. He must be doing something right.

Absolutely incredible. X2, congrats to Mr Jacobson.
WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 30, 2021 •  [Post 7]

I think someone else won this year. At least according to Internet results.

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby wawhitey » 07 30, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Im entering next year. My technique is something like this, but typing it out it loses a little something in translation.

WHERE THE HELL ARE THE ELK?? HEY ELK, GET OVER HERE I GOT SOMETHIN FOR YA! COME ON ALREADY!!! HOT COWS HEEEERE, GETCHUR HOT COOOOOWS! STEP RIGHT UP! OooEEEEEEoooh, yuckyuk yuk!
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 30, 2021 •  [Post 9]

wawhitey wrote:Im entering next year. My technique is something like this, but typing it out it loses a little something in translation.

WHERE THE HELL ARE THE ELK?? HEY ELK, GET OVER HERE I GOT SOMETHIN FOR YA! COME ON ALREADY!!! HOT COWS HEEEERE, GETCHUR HOT COOOOOWS! STEP RIGHT UP!

Hmmm, you may be on to something ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby dsayer » 07 31, 2021 •  [Post 10]

ElkNut1 wrote:I think someone else won this year. At least according to Internet results.

ElkNut

Corey's daughter won the women's division. He wasn't in the top 4 this year the pro division.

https://www.rmef.org/elk-network/winner ... pionships/
dsayer

Postby Old school » 07 31, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Some very talented callers out there. And many more who we will never know, who don’t enter calling contests, post pictures online, etc…. The best elk hunter I know hardly posts anything and talking with him casually you’d never know that he’s an absolute elk slayer with many 300”+ bulls and one over 400”. All unguided with a bow. Most OTC.
Old school

Postby Swede » 07 31, 2021 •  [Post 12]

I know a hunter from SE Oregon that has killed a lot of trophy elk. We went to church together for several years and I hunted with him one morning. He just hunts near home. All he used was a Power Bugle the last time I checked. I don't know exactly what he does, but it is pretty simple. He uses no cow calls. I think most of his success is based on his set ups.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 02, 2021 •  [Post 13]

OOPS! Guess I was wrong !
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2021 •  [Post 14]

OK, I admit it: I want to stir the pot a little just for some fun. I read on another forum, Elknut claims he would carry a 5 gallon bucket around in the woods if it would make better elk sounds. The point appears to be, that better sounds will bring in more or bigger bulls. I assume there may be some hype there, but maybe not.

I don't think sounding like an elk calling champion makes you any better elk caller than anyone else that is fairly proficient with their calls. If the champions were able to call in big bulls based on their calling prowess, why not come to an OTC unit in Oregon or Washington annually and show us. Do it fives years in a row to demonstrate you are not just lucky. There are a few big bulls here and with your expertise you can sort through the mature bulls until you get the biggest.
I had a diaphragm that was old and when I tried to use it, the sound reminded me of a buzzard puking. But it worked and I called in a bull. I have heard bulls that sounded awful. But they were real elk. Many times I have had elk respond to a poor call.
This calling elitism reminds me of fly fishermen that think their way of fishing is "the best" or "the only" way to fish. You do not need to sound like a contestant on stage to call in elk. I do not think these champion callers are successful at hunting because they are champion callers. They are good hunters, that hunt excellent units and spend a lot of time and money on hunting.
Now we should be able to get out our popcorn and hopefully watch the conversation.
Swede