Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Let’s talk “Slow Play”

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Let’s talk “Slow Play”

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 20, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I have listened to Paul’s YouTube video on Got Game Technologies several times…I have found a lot of success added in more panting, raking, and glunking. I’m wondering how many others have tried Paul’s slow play and the results.

If Paul chimes in I would also like to know if he uses this much in the evening or if he mainly use it in the morning. I know he talks about calling the elk down to him after they reach there bedding areas. I’m assuming this is in the morning when you can get into place when the thermals are still good.
Elkhunttoo

Re: Let’s talk “Slow Play”

Postby Swede » 07 21, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I do not use glunking or panting. I just rake and give out one short location bugle before I climb into my stand. In essence that is a slow play measure. I am waiting for hours in my stand.
I have had elk an several occasions come right to where I called from or come and look over that exact spot. They are not following a trail or coming in for water. They are looking for the bull. I have killed four elk that way and let several others pass. Those I let pass did not present an acceptable shot because I did not select a good location to call from.
Your calling Location is absolutely critical to make this work. Being patient is also very important. It Often takes two hours for the elk to come in, and they are silent. I have had some skeptics respond to this observance, but I know what I have seen and it has happened too many times to be a coincidence. The elk either come to the exact spot I called from, like the one I shot last season, or they come and look to that exact spot before returning to where they came from.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Swede » 07 21, 2021 •  [Post 3]

For you guys that hunt only from the ground, why not try a similar tactic on your lunch and afternoon break? Find a good location before you break, where an elk will have to come into shooting range, then rake a tree and put out one short location bugle. When you are done go and eat your lunch and just watch. Snoozing is not a good idea, as you have all night for that. Just eat, rest and watch during the heat of the day. If you have a buddy with you, then take turns sleeping if you feel inclined to nap.
Note: This is not something I have specifically tried. I always go to my tree. It just seems it could be a good option if you observe where the wind will be blowing, and are out of sight.
Swede

Postby JJ Overkill » 07 21, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Last season was the first time I’ve used the slow play. I’ve practiced it for years but never needed it. Last year the elk where highly pressured and wouldn’t make a sound or answer anything. One morning an hour before first light a buddy, my wife and I were where I wanted to be and decided to just sit and wait till light before moving any farther. As we sat quietly, I heard a bull give one of them lazy quiet bugles. I knew right then, I’m slow playing this bull. He wasn’t but 150yds from us. As it began to get light we moved into position. I did exactly what Paul described in his slow play. After 15 minutes the bull bugled with chuckles. Long story short, my shooter got impatient and tried to move in on the bull and got busted

The second time I used it, again last year I pulled in a bull that I had to have a walked right by. I was trying to bring in a different bull that had bugled once around 10:30 up on a ridge. I was in good cover for that bull again about 150yds away. I was not setup for a bull to come in behind me. I had been calling my way into the area and was shocked I had a bull answer me from that direction. It got to a point where that bull and I were screaming at each other 20yds apart. The brush was so thick we couldn’t see each other. Finally he circled me and I got busted. I had nowhere to go or hide and the bull got nervous, he didn’t see any elk and I stopped calling he crossed in front of me at roughly 45 yards but his vitals were covered the whole time.

Anyways that’s the two times I used the slow play and both times I had an elk come in.
PSE PRO STAFF since 2013,
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 22, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Swede, great points!

Morning-Midday or Evening makes no difference. The Slow Play is designed for bulls without a hot cow, cows are great for him to have some but not a necessity. It's situational as is any Tactic! The Slow Play is not a magic wand, you need to use on the right bull & at the right place. I do not recommend it on elk that are not at their destination where ever that may be! Good luck!

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 07 23, 2021 •  [Post 6]

ElkNut1 wrote:Swede, great points!

They should be. :lol: I got them from you over ten years ago. I have put zed with them and observed to learn how to make them work better for me, but the genesis came from a phone call to you.

No calling works like cooking a casserole or mechanizing on a car. We are not Pied Pipers either. There is always the unknown element called "elk".

Here are some things I wonder about from my observing elk after my raking and short two note call. How far away am I effectively calling elk? I suspect it can be a long long ways but varies by terrain and weather. Why is it usually just one elk that comes in? It can be a cow or bull. When elk don't come around after my calling and raking, does that mean there are none within hearing distance, or are they just not inclined to check me out?
How well this technique, I got from the Nut works, varies some by area. I think it will work where ever elk are in hearing distance, but if I am down in a basin, I doubt elk hear me far down on the other side of the adjacent ridge. It is a long range or shorter range technique based a lot on the factors mentioned above.
Swede

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 24, 2021 •  [Post 7]

LOL! Smart guy!!! Keep it up sir you do awesome!

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 03, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Listened to the slow plan seminar on YouTube again last night. Just super excited to get back at it again here in a few weeks :D

Swede…years ago my brother and I would do some calling while eating lunch…the problem we ran into was not paying enough attention…you go a few days trying it with nothing…then the next day you call and do your thing and then look up and have a bull at 20 yards and when you see him he sees you and is gone :o …much like the rest of archery hunting though…every little thing has to a-line
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 08 03, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Elkhunttoo wrote:the problem we ran into was not paying enough attention…you go a few days trying it with nothing…then the next day you call and do your thing and then look up and have a bull at 20 yards and when you see him he sees you and is gone

Yep! I have done that at least two times.
On one occasion my friend and I got up and started to walk off disgusted after being surprised like that. My bow was lying on a nearby log, but out of reach.
On the other occasion I remember, I stood up and took a couple of steps after waiting around awhile, only to see a bull about ten yards away turn and run away. That bull had been sneaking closer.
In the cases I have observed, the elk all came in quietly. This has been true when I waited on the ground or in a tree.
If I had a bull answer me at when I am tree stand hunting in one of these situations, I would not return any call, but let them come and find me. I would wait and wait. On the ground you have to decide if you want to pursue or set up then and there.
Swede

Postby Swede » 08 03, 2021 •  [Post 10]

I had some chores to do so I did not finish my last post. We are talking about slow play and playing the waiting game. Usually when a bow hunter hears a bugle, he/she thinks they should respond. I have found cases where it is better to remain silent. Where are you at and what time of the day is it? If you hear a bugle at 2:00PM are you going to go after him? The following are a couple of things I have observed.

1. While in my stand in the late afternoon while waiting over a waterhole I hear a bugle. I have experienced this several times. Do not answer. If you do the bull will leave and likely say no more. He was checking the waterhole to see if it has elk there. He does not want a confrontation. He has likely been reprogramed by a superior bull and does not want anymore reprograming. :D Just stay silent and wait. He is likely to arrive within 1/2 hour.

2. It is midday and the elk are bedded. Wait a half hour and stay back a couple of hundred yards. Then try one short small bull bugle and go silent.
Swede