Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Smoke again

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Smoke again

Postby Lefty » 07 12, 2021 •  [Post 1]

When we can smell and see smoke from fires 700 and more miles away we have a problem
My wife and I escaped the heat the past few days. Walked into a few canyons near where we bear hunt, then up to higher elevations, even some snow left on south facing slopes.

I don't think we ever had visibility over 20 miles, often less than 15 miles, and one time about 7 miles visibility..
Last years smoke and maybe I had Covid very much limited my hunting. , I don't want that again.

I may deal with it by heading to the coast, haye this mess
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Smoke again

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 12, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Ugh. I pray that we don't have the mess we did last year with the fires and smoke (distant and local).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 07 12, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Same here.I can always see Pikes Peak about 40 miles away.Nothing but a grey haze now.Anything west of me,we get the smoke. NO coast to go to
saddlesore

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 12, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Lefty wrote:When we can smell and see smoke from fires 700 and more miles away we have a problem
My wife and I escaped the heat the past few days. Walked into a few canyons near where we bear hunt, then up to higher elevations, even some snow left on south facing slopes.

I don't think we ever had visibility over 20 miles, often less than 15 miles, and one time about 7 miles visibility..
Last years smoke and maybe I had Covid very much limited my hunting. , I don't want that again.

I may deal with it by heading to the coast, haye this mess

It is so bad here right now…scary to think what august will be like…we need some rain big time this august/September…but we will take it anytime if it wants to come sooner
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 07 12, 2021 •  [Post 5]

This 100 degree stuff is getting old!1
Lefty

Postby Swede » 07 12, 2021 •  [Post 6]

It has hit 116*F here. This heat is not getting old. It has been old sine the temps went above 90*F over a month ago. Some days I would like to move back to Gold Beach on the southern Oregon coast. We also had smoke on the Oregon/Idaho border part of last week and it was hot every day.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 07 12, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Hey I panned Gold beach and the river, got some color.

Today was much better lhazy but not like it had been
Lefty

Postby 7mmfan » 07 13, 2021 •  [Post 8]

My family and I are staying in Leavenworth WA for the week. We just drove from Wenatchee back up the valley to our condo 3 hours ago, no sign of fire, but smokey from forest up north. Just now saw a emergency bulletin on the TV and confirmed online, new fire only 10 miles from us, luckily for us blowing down the valley. Not lucky for the hundreds of homes in its path. Hope they can get it under control asap.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 07 13, 2021 •  [Post 9]

I knew Gold Beach got its name from the color you could find there. I assumed it came down the Rogue, but never checked it out. The salmon fishing was better.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics