Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Your elk hunt start date

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Your elk hunt start date

Postby Lefty » 07 11, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Share with us your elk hunts' start date and maybe weapon of choice.

Archery , August 31 for us here in Idaho . I have a unique tag At one time we could archery hunt, then hunt spike elk with a rifle followed by a muzzleloader season.

We will archery hunt starting the 31st of August. If I dont fill my tag muzzleloader hunt starts 2nd week of November for a few weeks .

were putting in for Montana points , So some of October I may hunt waterfowl around some areas we expect to hunt.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Your elk hunt start date

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 11, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Im guessing you meant to put the 30th Lefty. If not you are giving the competition a head start with the arrow slinging contest :D I’m 7 weeks away!!! August 30th…I’m probably going to work the 30th and so my first day out will probably be the afternoon of the 2nd
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 07 12, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Elkhunttoo wrote:Im guessing you meant to put the 30th Lefty. If not you are giving the competition a head start with the arrow slinging contest :D I’m 7 weeks away!!! August 30th…I’m probably going to work the 30th and so my first day out will probably be the afternoon of the 2nd

This is Idaho,, starts the last day of the month,, the 31st :lol: I was going to use the red faced emoji, but then that would mean,, well Im not sure what it would mean..

Oh I know ,, Just checking to see if Swede was paying attention, /I needed to give him a bone.

So Im going with the last day of the month of August :)

I think Im starting to worry my wife. Im going gangbusters trying to line up my life. Three pages of honey do's Interrupted by a few scouting trips, We had wanted to hike a few day packing trip,, on the CDC trail from out of Island Park Hwy, to Monida, with a friend who is through hiking. But my wife is starting to be concerned, 2nd grizz attack in that area and I heard of one encounter on the Montana side.
I would like to fish a bit and have a couple back pack fishing trips and ride some ATV trails on the Idaho Montana border.
Lefty

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 12, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Your Awfully nice giving everyone else a Headstart… I’ll promise you if you go look at the regs your hunt opens up on Monday, August 30… You might as well be out there too :D
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 07 12, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Lefty wrote:Just checking to see if Swede was paying attention, /I needed to give him a bone.

Swede has been away on his annual scouting trip. I did not announce it in advance just to see what you jerks would be up to if you just were not sure where the Swede was.
I am sorry about Tigger's big disappointment. I am sure he would never have figured out on his own that 911 is actually over 843. I have a good pair of used gaiters for a booby prize, but you will need to stop by my hunting camp this season to get them. I will be there about August 24th, but the hunt starts on August 28th.

BTW: since you asked; I found a couple new spots I can hang a stand. They are no better than the ones I have already located, but one is a very easy pack out.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby GoGriz1234 » 07 12, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I’ll be charging into unit 240 in Montana on 9/17. I know the elk are few and far between up here on NF land, but I’m going to tighten up my boots and see how many miles I can cover and see what I find. Can’t wait to get out and get some fresh (hopefully not smokey air)! This waiting is for the birds!
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 12, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Start date 9/15. Pulled a decent spud state controlled stick n’ string elk tag. We’ll see how it pans out.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby rvanbw00 » 07 13, 2021 •  [Post 8]

We leave IN 9/8 afternoon and hope to be a couple miles deep the evening of 9/9 in MT. The clock is slowing down...cant wait to be back in the mountains!
rvanbw00

Postby Old school » 07 13, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Monday Sept 13th for me. Archery in the cowboy state.
Old school

Postby 7mmfan » 07 13, 2021 •  [Post 10]

I won't be elk hunting this year unfortunately. Just deer and bear. I could hunt spikes here in WA if I wanted but I don't really want to hunt with the orange army.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby ishy » 07 14, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Sept 8th. Retired geezers will start camp Aug 28 and hopefully find a pile of elk and get them nice and warmed up(not spooked at all!) till I get there.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 07 14, 2021 •  [Post 12]

Ishy; buddy the geezers will have the elk in cold storage by the time you arrive and will have stories and pictures to show you around the camp table. I would have said "campfire", but I think that may be literally out this year.
Swede

Postby JJ Overkill » 07 15, 2021 •  [Post 13]

Going to western MT for the first time, leaving the 17 of sept. Hoping to maybe leave the 14th if I switch some work days around.
PSE PRO STAFF since 2013,
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby Lefty » 07 15, 2021 •  [Post 14]

Swede wrote:Ishy; buddy the geezers will have the elk in cold storage by the time you arrive and will have stories and pictures to show you around the camp table. I would have said "campfire", but I think that may be literally out this year.

Could give us geezers a chance to write snide comments on the forum,....sometimes about each other.

Earlier in the week I had big plans on prepping and hiking into some newer elk area. My wife came along , so I tried to keep the trip about her having fun,... Cut out a handfull of miles, and plenty of elevation.
Realistically elk season doesn't end or begin for me,, just when do I get to kill an elk as a choice. I may even lower my standards just6 to kill something.

Swede no fires of any kind. even smokers locally have to be in a vehicle or structure. But our fire district think they rule the world,,Didnt see of smell any campsite outdoor cooking , or firepits in the region we were ATVing.
Im not a campfire guy during hunts anyway, so its easy to comply.
Lefty

Postby dsayer » 07 26, 2021 •  [Post 15]

We'll be hunting September 6th to 12th. Colorado OTC with all the cool kids... 8-)
dsayer

Postby Tigger » 07 26, 2021 •  [Post 16]

Oct 23 I believe is the MT Rifle opener. Went shooting last night for the first time. Got me a new firestick that the daughter is going to use. 7mm-08. Put the scope on myself. Took the bolt out and aligned the scope as best I could. I was off about 2" at 100 yards. take that all you boresighters!
Tigger

Postby Dbllung » 07 26, 2021 •  [Post 17]

Hitting MT dirt Sept 10th. Hunting through the 21st. The next 46 days will be torture!
Dbllung

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Hogan

Postby Indian Summer » 07 27, 2021 •  [Post 18]

Leaving October 8 or 9. Hunting starts on the 15th as always. These are some tough years as the opener is on a Friday. I have to take off the entire preceding week and barely hunt. Oh well…. Camp will be rock solid by the time we can hunt. It’s crazy how after nearly a decade in the same area I still get excited wondering what lessons I’ll be applying this season after the previous year based on the current conditions. I think I’ve seen every weather pattern at this point. What will they be doing? Where will he drop!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 07 27, 2021 •  [Post 19]

Indian Summer wrote:I still get excited wondering what lessons I’ll be applying this season after the previous year based on the current conditions. I think I’ve seen every weather pattern at this point. What will they be doing? Where will he drop!

It is always exciting and challenging. We would not want it any other way.
Swede

Postby Fridaythe13th » 07 28, 2021 •  [Post 20]

We leave after work on the 14th. Start hunting on the 16th same zone in idaho. Hope to go 2 for 2 only because we are hauling a meat packer. We don't want this guy to be a free loader he already cost me a $100 of Irish whiskey, plus food I hope we get a couple of 6x6 4 miles back. Lol
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Elkhntr08 » 07 30, 2021 •  [Post 21]

Headed to Wyoming on 10/1, hopefully be hunting antelope on 10/5 with elk starting 10/15. Not going to be able to make it out for archery season. Bummed about that.
Elkhntr08

Postby Leatherneck » 07 30, 2021 •  [Post 22]

Actually drew a ML tag this year in Co. would rather bow hunt but my buds don’t so going with them this year. Arriving on 9-8 and after scouting a couple days start on the 11th. Good luck everyone!!!
Leatherneck