Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado 2nd Rifle Weather

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado 2nd Rifle Weather

Postby Zack » 06 29, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I moved to colorado and started hunting elk 3 years ago. My biggest concern hunting alone has always been weather, and waking up to enough snow that I get stuck. Now with the push back in 2nd rifle dates, I’m a bit more concerned. How do you guys prepare for these situations? How common is it to get that much snow overnight?
Zack

Re: Colorado 2nd Rifle Weather

Postby saddlesore » 06 29, 2021 •  [Post 2]

You can never predict the Colorado weather. I have had it snow 2 ft in one night.Because of the 2nd season being a week later,I quit hunting the Gunnison country. Three out of five years, your stuck in your tent or camper and cant even access where you need go to find the elk. Prepare for the worst weather,hope for the . Do not back pack in 5-6 miles and plan to stay in a small back pack tent alone at 10,000 feetHave a heat source and be able to stay in your shelter for 3 days .You should have at least one hunting companion and be in good enough shape to post hole out in 2ft of snow or worse.
I have hunted in Colorado as a resident for 45+ years and have seen all types of weather
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 03, 2021 •  [Post 3]

A good set of tire chains, a tow strap, a shovel, and some good common since would be a good place to start !!!

Stay in a motel or camp close to the trail head. I case of really bad weather, the forest service or county will try to clear the roads one last time before closing them for the winter. If they tell you to get out, you better do it. If not, you can walk out and come back next summer to pick up your gear! :shock: :shock: :o :oops:
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 07 03, 2021 •  [Post 4]

And dont hunt with idiots; lack of experience or that common sense mentioned above.

I was a guest
My first western hunt we heard the weather was going to turn. When weather was predicted in Mn, you prepared now.

But no!!!

We'll be OK. :lol: Nearest tractor was 25 miles away, but likely no hand to run it .
Everyone wanted to hunt and off they went. I packed my gear and got it n a truck and broke what I knew I could, then hunted the evening.

3:00AM
"Get up!! We gotta get out of here now" pouring heavy wet snow.

Early morning we have all the packed stuff ready to head out,, lots of snow. Some young guys rode the roads with snowmachines and ATVs , Slick roads, deeper water crossings, torn up roads by guys smart enough to get out earlier that morning.
About noon we were warming up and the snow wasnt as deep up the other canyon.
A 2 hour job became a 9 hour job.
Everything was packed with mud and snow. They beat the heck out of ATVs snow machines and their trucksI. heard a few years later the one group lost their tents, never dried them once home molded and mildew holes
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 07 03, 2021 •  [Post 5]

If you can't survive something as this, make other plans

image.jpg
image.jpg (92.19 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
saddlesore