Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Images Needed for School Project

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Images Needed for School Project

Postby braydude » 06 28, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Hello!

I am a senior in college and am working on a software project that will help improve the process for scoring elk antlers. I am currently in need of a lot of elk images in order to improve the results. I've been able to find a few pictures of big bulls, but the 200" - 300" range has been a little harder to find. Probably because people only want to share the big bulls! :)

If you have a picture of a bull elk with its score (any size) and are willing to share it, I would really appreciate it!

Here is the link to the submission form: https://tinyurl.com/trophymeter

Thanks!
braydude

Re: Elk Images Needed for School Project

Postby 7mmfan » 06 28, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I'd share a mid-high 200's bull, but I do not have a score to go along with it. I'd assume that's a fairly instrumental part of this project?
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 06 28, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I have never had an elk scored. I have not read where the hunters on this forum get their critters scored. Maybe a few do. Best wished on your project.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 28, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Do sheds work? Or do they need to be on the skull?

I love scoring bulls and just looking at horns. It’s what keeps me shed hunting every spring. I have 2 bulls that are on my wall that I have scored but they aren’t officially scored…does that work? And do you need the brake down or just the overall score?
Elkhunttoo

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 28, 2021 •  [Post 5]

After looking at it looks like you just need the overall gross score
Elkhunttoo

Postby braydude » 06 29, 2021 •  [Post 6]

7mmfan wrote:I'd share a mid-high 200's bull, but I do not have a score to go along with it. I'd assume that's a fairly instrumental part of this project?

Yeah, that's a pretty important part of the project. However, if you still want to submit it it might still be helpful as testing data! Just leave the score entry blank if you haven't measured it yet.
braydude

Postby braydude » 06 29, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:I have never had an elk scored. I have not read where the hunters on this forum get their critters scored. Maybe a few do. Best wished on your project.

No worries. Hmm, I was hoping there was a few hunters who have gone through the process of measuring their antlers to get the score. It definitely can be a bit tedious to complete though so I understand if not too many people have done it. Thanks!
braydude

Postby braydude » 06 29, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Elkhunttoo wrote:After looking at it looks like you just need the overall gross score

Yep, the gross score would be ideal. If you don't have the official score yet, the photos might still be helpful as testing data. If you want to submit them without a score, just leaving the score input fields blank would work best!

I'd prefer antlers with the skull, but if you have both sides of the shed, putting them side by side for the picture might work.
braydude

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 29, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Does it need to be officially scored or does my good ol boy diploma of scoring well over 100 horns count?

I certainly understand if you don’t want the “good ol boy diploma” scores…I have seen lots of bulls on peoples walls that they have had a “friend” score that I could guarantee wasn’t within 20 inches of the actual score
Elkhunttoo

Postby braydude » 06 29, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Elkhunttoo wrote:Does it need to be officially scored or does my good ol boy diploma of scoring well over 100 horns count?

I certainly understand if you don’t want the “good ol boy diploma” scores…I have seen lots of bulls on peoples walls that they have had a “friend” score that I could guarantee wasn’t within 20 inches of the actual score

No, it doesn't need to be officially scored. Hopefully most scores will be within 15pts of the actual score, but if it's off by a little more it will probably still be okay.
braydude