Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New Member Introduction

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New Member Introduction

Postby braydude » 06 28, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Hello fellow hunters!

I'm an avid bowhunter and a Software Engineering student. I prefer to hunt elk, but usually keep a deer tag on me just in case I see one. :) Oregon is my preferred hunting location, but I have also had some success in Wyoming.

My favorite part about bowhunting for elk is the experience of calling in a fired up bulging bull! There's nothing quite like it!

Happy hunting,
Braydude
braydude

Re: New Member Introduction

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 28, 2021 •  [Post 2]

w(ELK)ome aboard !
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 06 28, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Nice to make your acquaintance Bray, welcome to the fire. If you live in Oregon or WA right now, you might literally be on fire. Just to be safe, avoid Swede and any advice he gives you, it will likely end up with you in a tree somewhere and with red flag warnings popping up everywhere, that's not a good place to be.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 28, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Welcome aboard Brayden, glad to have you on board. Your name seemed very familiar when I activated your account. After some research, it seems that you may be a pretty decent elk caller (5 time Oregon State Elk Calling Champion and a 2 time Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation’s World Elk Calling Champion in the Professional Division (2012, 2013). Thanks for swinging by WapitiTalk. RJ

Correction, your pop, Bryan is a former two time pro division champ and you won in a junior division, yes? Either way, we’re glad to have you on board.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 06 28, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Welcome,

Welcome!
Don't be shy, share what you have!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 06 28, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Welcome to the forum braydude. Don't pay too much attention to the nay-sayers here. They are afraid of heights and can't figure out how to rig a tree stand. In other words they are just jealous. I have probably heard you tooting on your elk bugle where I hunt. If you have not been bugling near my tree stand it is because the parade of callers was longer than the ones at the RMEF contests. Anyway it is good to have you here. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 28, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Welcome!!! You can go ahead and teach us a thing or two about calling if you want, I would love a few tips.
Elkhunttoo

Postby braydude » 06 29, 2021 •  [Post 8]

7mmfan wrote:Nice to make your acquaintance Bray, welcome to the fire. If you live in Oregon or WA right now, you might literally be on fire. Just to be safe, avoid Swede and any advice he gives you, it will likely end up with you in a tree somewhere and with red flag warnings popping up everywhere, that's not a good place to be.

Thanks, same here. Yeah, it's been very hot lately! Haha, good to know. :lol:
braydude

Postby braydude » 06 29, 2021 •  [Post 9]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Welcome aboard Brayden, glad to have you on board. Your name seemed very familiar when I activated your account. After some research, it seems that you may be a pretty decent elk caller (5 time Oregon State Elk Calling Champion and a 2 time Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation’s World Elk Calling Champion in the Professional Division (2012, 2013). Thanks for swinging by WapitiTalk. RJ

Correction, your pop, Bryan is a former two time pro division champ and you won in a junior division, yes? Either way, we’re glad to have you on board.

Haha, yep my dad, Bryan, is quite the elk caller and has won multiple titles at the state and pro level! 8-) He's definitely taught me a lot, and I've been fortunate to have decent success in the junior and mens divisions.

Thanks for having me!
braydude

Postby braydude » 06 29, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Lefty wrote:Welcome,

Welcome!
Don't be shy, share what you have!

Thanks, will do!
braydude

Postby braydude » 06 29, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:Welcome to the forum braydude. Don't pay too much attention to the nay-sayers here. They are afraid of heights and can't figure out how to rig a tree stand. In other words they are just jealous. I have probably heard you tooting on your elk bugle where I hunt. If you have not been bugling near my tree stand it is because the parade of callers was longer than the ones at the RMEF contests. Anyway it is good to have you here. :D

Thanks! So I've heard :lol:

You probably have! I'm known to bugle quite often when out hunting... Thanks for having me!
braydude

Postby braydude » 06 29, 2021 •  [Post 12]

Elkhunttoo wrote:Welcome!!! You can go ahead and teach us a thing or two about calling if you want, I would love a few tips.

Thanks! Hmm, a tip I'd give would be to not be afraid to make noise when trying to get a bull to come in (if you're set up on the ground). Elk make noise when walking around (unless they're in stealth mode :? ), so if you're calling without making any noise, such as walking around or raking, they might get suspicious.

This has seemed to help me when I'm the caller, and as long as you have good cover, you should be find moving around without spooking the elk.
braydude

Postby Billy Goat » 06 30, 2021 •  [Post 13]

welcome to the forum fine sir. very good folks here, though each is quirky in his/her own way.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Swede » 06 30, 2021 •  [Post 14]

Billy Goat wrote: though each is quirky in his/her own way.

"I went down into the garden of nuts to see the fruits..." Song of Solomon 6:11 kjv
Doesn't that remind you of reading a conversation between Tigger, Lefty, WW, and Whitey?

Swede has his scriptures all messed up, I think its an old man thing.

In my neighborhood the scripture is:
Genesis 27:3
“Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;”
Swede

Postby Tigger » 07 02, 2021 •  [Post 15]

W(Elk)come Bray! Here is some stellar advice for this forum....if you find yourself accidentally reading one of Swede's posts (nobody actually does this on purpose), slip on a pair of rubber boots so none of his ideas stick to you!

Glad to have another expert caller around to share some knowledge!
Tigger

Postby Billy Goat » 07 02, 2021 •  [Post 16]

Swede wrote:
Billy Goat wrote: though each is quirky in his/her own way.

"I went down into the garden of nuts to see the fruits..." Song of Solomon 6:11 kjv

Doesn't that remind you of reading a conversation between Tigger, Lefty, WW, and Whitey?

of all the scripture you could reference....... must it be from the Song of Solomon? :) Gods love manual for humans? :)

my pastor, Tom Nelson got nationally famous for a series he did on SoS. Pretty high impact on me personally, and helped guide me to the fine specimen that is my wife. :)
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Swede » 07 02, 2021 •  [Post 17]

The Song of Solomon is a beautiful love story that is so often misunderstood. I prepared a lengthy Bible Study on the book, but have never taught it. The book is a picture of Christ and His church. It is well worth studying in earnest.
Swede