Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Invisible Man

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Invisible Man

Postby Swede » 06 09, 2021 •  [Post 1]

What if you could become invisible. Ultimately that is what scent-loc suits, camo and to a certain extent cover scents are supposed to do for us. I have found none that are really all that good, but the sales keep piling up, and camo is still a hot selling item for many hunters and is fashionable on the street now. But, what if you could really be invisible (Sight, scent and sound) in the hunting woods?
Animals, including elk would have no idea you were around. They would go about their normal lives undisturbed. You could see and hear them close up in their natural state for an extended period of time. If the invisible man would make sounds like elk calls, use bait or decoys, he could observe just how animals react to them aside from how they are effected by human presence. You would learn what works well to help you get elk and what didn't.
For twenty eight years I have been the invisible man hunting from a tree stand. The only down side I have found is that I am confined to a very small area. That can be a limitation, but if you are in a good spot is is not a serious problem.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The Invisible Man

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 09, 2021 •  [Post 2]

As soon as I started reading this I new it was going to end in a tree :D . Now, my question for you Swede is this…

Does the invisible man scare elk out on his way into the tree stand and at night on his way out?

The area I’ve been hunting I don’t feel like I can get in and out without moving elk out of the area. I really think I could do great in a stand in the area if I could drop out of the sky.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 06 09, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I have not had an occasion to drop into my stand from out of the sky, but I have used various tactics to absolutely minimize my scent trail and confine it to the smallest area possible. Elkhunt, I have no knowledge about your unique stand prospect, but allow me to share some rambling thoughts.

Several years ago a friend was seeing fresh sign all the time near his stand, but never had an elk come around when he was there. He was getting frustrated. I asked when he went in and and what was his travel path. After hearing what he said, I explained how he was flooding the area with his scent and showed him how he could better approach from a different direction. The new approach would include only a short direct drop in from the ridge above and leave a very small scent trail. In a day or two he took a 329 P&Y bull out of that stand.
Where I got my elk this past season I did a similar thing to get an elk.
Often in the morning or after sunset it is best to come in from below. Sometimes it is best to change the time you go in. Different stand locations require different approaches. Sometimes it is best to stay all day in your stand and not get out.
It is best to have the least scent possible on you. I have had elk come down the same trail I walked only five minutes before.
I agree it is not practical to come in from the sky, but I have not found a stand location that cannot be approached with a reasonable prospect of getting an elk. Often I confirm that by other animals that come near including deer and bear. To these critters I am still the invisible man.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 06 10, 2021 •  [Post 4]

You can still get busted by smell from a tree stand. No doubt about that. Sometimes it helps a lot, sometimes not.

But if I was an invisible man, I think I would attend some Wall Street meetings and buy stock accordingly.

Kinda like that Facebook thing a while back that said what would you say to your 18 year-old self in 3 words? I can do it in 2: Buy Amazon.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 06 10, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Tigger wrote:You can still get busted by smell from a tree stand. No doubt about that. Sometimes it helps a lot, sometimes not.

This may be true. Poor stand placement and rare downdrafts are the biggest cause I know of. That said, I have gone weeks at a time with no problem. As a tree stand hunter, I have never killed an elk that has scented me. If your stand placement is not helping you a lot with both scent and sight, then you need to place it somewhere else. After all that is the reason for using a stand. They are not usually set up just to be a viewing perch. :D
Swede

Postby Lefty » 06 12, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Mostly my opinion. But cover scents dont always cover.
Ive had fox and skunk dig out a dirt hole bait after killing a skunk that sprays.
What cover spray might do ifs give animals a common smell to smell along with a foreign smell. Weve played hide and go seek not matter the other smells our dogs would find whom ever.
Ive watched bears smell other bears 3/4 mile away and not worry untill the big guy was near.
Ive done burns smoke reaches every direction some time.
Now I do hope to use some of the technology of carbon , zeolite, ozone, containment etc,,. it all fails.
Thursday I checked some on some trapping lures, bottled in a vacuum, still under less than atmospheric preasure. in 1988. And I can still smell volatile gases. Im a fanatic and I still think Primos took my term of being a scent freak ;) We can do what we can and should to become "less" visible" we cant be invisible for short times but not log term.

'
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 13, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Since we're shooting for the moon here I'd be content with elk being like turkeys; they cannot smell the human scent! (grin) Advantage hunter big-time!

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 06 13, 2021 •  [Post 8]

I use cover scent on rare occasions. I almost never use an attractant anymore. There are three things I rely on.
1. Being as clean and scent free as possible.
2. Tree selection
3. Height in the tree. I like being about 25 feet up. In addition I like my tree to be uphill from my target area. The more you compromise on tree stand set up the less likely you will be successful.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 14, 2021 •  [Post 9]

FOR SALE! P.T. Barnum Invisible Man Potion. There's one born every minute! Gee! I'll be a billionaire soon.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics