Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

It’s not all bliss

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

It’s not all bliss

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 31, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Every year we all sit around counting down the days, drooling over the thought of that big bull. Loving the moment when we pull out from the house heading for camp. The sound of the first bugle, the sights and emotions that all come with hunting. It seems so perfect in our minds just to get away and love every second of the hunt!!!

But, every year it seems like the hunt brings something that isn’t so lovable. Last year it was my second day splitting head ache I woke up with :evil:. Just pounding!!! For my wife it’s her allergies that just absolutely torment her the second we walk by sage brush. For some that I hunt with it is dealing with their contacts and there eyes, dust seems to always make its way into place it shouldn’t.

It’s easy and manly to say “I love it all no matter what” ... but post em up here, what are some of the things that you forget throughout the year that seem to be a hindrance during the season?
Elkhunttoo

Re: It’s not all bliss

Postby Tigger » 06 01, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Not every year, but in super dry years sometimes I get nose bleeds for no reason. Then, once you get it stopped, you get those super hard, cement-like blood boogers. Try and remove one and another nose bleed. Start the whole process over! But last year I had no problem with it thank goodness.
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 06 01, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I am allergic to tumble weed (Russian Thistles). That plays heck with me when I do any hunting in eastern Colorado. The rest of it, arthritis, bad knees, bad back, bad lungs, I just push thru as much as I can. It hurts sitting at home as much as when I go hunting. So I keep doing as much as I can, but maybe slower.As the saying goes "Cowboy up".
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 06 01, 2021 •  [Post 4]

There is the normal grind that becomes a problem of sorts as a long season wears on. Still I enjoy it. Bad things and surprises are truly surprises and usually do not last. I have fallen a time or two and felt lousy a couple of times, but nothing that lasted long. Like Saddlesore, I have done this so often, for so many years that bad surprises are rare. I just keep doing what has worked so many times before. "Cowboy up."
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 06 01, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Smoke and fires,.... Last year I think it was Covid, Really put me down.

Then I knew this was coming. My legs are getting worse, each year.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H