Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wasatch Mountains West, Utah

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wasatch Mountains West, Utah

Postby firehunter » 05 17, 2021 •  [Post 1]

First time hunting Utah, usually hunt Colorado and I live in Florida. I got an archery mule deer tag for the Wasatch mtns west and am wondering if I should also buy a spike elk tag to have while I'm there for that area also? Not familiar with the area at all as this will be my first time hunting there but from google earth scouting I think I will start around Provo Peak and head south from there. I'm wondering if I should just stick with trying to get a deer or is there some spike or antlerless elk around there that would be worth getting a tag for too? I'll be going first week Archery opens, August 21st.
firehunter

Re: Wasatch Mountains West, Utah

Postby Lefty » 05 20, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I haven't spent much time in that part of Utah. Hiked and camped some of it. I dont know about current numbers of elk but it is beautiful looking (elk) country.

If the tag doesnt hurt ( wow Utah has a ton of non resident options) , You likely will regret not getting elk tag.

the high stuff,,,, the mixed quakies are so neat. This is family vacation public lands, almost backcountry
There is some nice access up their too.
That region in my opinion is more beautiful than any of the great places in any of the western states Ive visited. Maybe a word of warning,, much of the world knows that too,, as secluded accessible elevation it has use. Plenty of high elevation blacktop roads BYU provides lots of outsider students -fantastic hiking, Did I mention how pretty the area is
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby firehunter » 05 20, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Thanks for the reply Lefty, I’m looking forward to seeing that beautiful country even if I don’t leave with any meat. I’ll be doing most my hunting during the week so hopefully the crowd will be a little less than on the weekends.
firehunter

Postby Lefty » 05 21, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Nice time of year too, can be a bit noisy if dry. Lots of advantages early: the bucks still venture out of the thick avoiding the velvet and some areas bugs. And they certainly like the thick dark cool stuff When I lived at 252 feet in Washington State it took me a few days to get use to 9000, bring some asprin and dont overdo it the first day or two
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H