Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting Mistakes

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting Mistakes

Postby Swede » 05 12, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I feel confident in saying all of who have hunted elk more than for just a brief outing, have made mistakes that cost us success. If we did not learn early, we continued to make that mistake until we got it right. Some things I learned on my own and some I had instruction on.

Here were two of my toughest lessons.

1. Moving to soon after calling. From calling before I get into my stand and staying quiet after, I have learned elk fairly often take two hours to come in to snoop around and check out the caller.
2. A poor setup cost me numerous times. I do not know why I did not figure it out sooner, but Elknut put me wise to this problem, and shared how to correct it.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Hunting Mistakes

Postby saddlesore » 05 13, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Moving too fast.It took me a lot of years to learn to slow down while still hunting
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 05 13, 2021 •  [Post 3]

It took me a long time to learn how to effectively glass. For years I would pull up my glass do a quick scan of the open ground without even really looking at it, and then move on. When I learned to sit down and actually pick the ground apart in a systematic fashion, I began seeing a lot more animals.

Like Saddlesore, moving slow. Not always, there's definitely a time to move quickly, but when you're hunting, and in zone where the animals are likely to be, move slowly and keep your head up. I have a friend that constantly stares at the ground while he's hunting. He says he is looking for sign and sticks to avoid stepping on, but I've seen him walk past numerous animals. Breaking a stick at an inopportune moment sucks for sure, but it can create an opportunity if you are looking for it.

Be patient. To many times I have seen animals, and tried to force an opportunity, even though I had ample time to sit back and wait for the opportunity to create itself. Each situation is different, sometimes aggressive moves are necessary, but learning to recognize the ones where sitting back and watching/waiting will definitely improve success.

I wouldn't call this one a mistake, but a habit that can cost you shot opportunities. I hunt with my gun in my hands. In fact, I do not even put a shoulder sling on my rifle. I have been caught with my gun on my shoulder, when an animal presented a shot that I could not take advantage of because I had to unsling my rifle and bring it to my shoulder. Sometimes it's time, but often it's just movement. If my gun is in my hands already, I can quickly pull it up and shoot. If I'm travelling long distances, I strap it to my pack, but as soon as I am in the zone, it is in my hands and stays there.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 05 13, 2021 •  [Post 4]

To me THE number one mistake is picking your hunting area or state based on how short the drive is and because the letters OTC makes getting a license seem easier than other places!!! Doh!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 05 13, 2021 •  [Post 5]

How much bandwith can I take up with my answer? Surely not as much as Swede if he is honest!

The one that still haunts me is a bull I think I could have called in but started with the wrong sound.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 05 13, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Another thing is that a mistake is not just what you did wrong. It is often what you did not do at all or did not do right. Many times I have observed hunters give up way too soon. I have killed elk right after my hunting companions left for home. They thought there were no elk around. They may have been right. The elk had not returned quite yet, but before they arrived home after a six hour drive, I was gutting and skinning.
I will probably get twice as many elk as you will. :o It is not because I am in better shape, know more, or have some secret method. I stay out hunting twice as long. I am out dawn to dark 28 days of a 30 day season if necessary. If I can get someone to wash my clothes and restock my groceries and ice, I will get those extra two day to hunt also.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 05 13, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Swede like many of us. I could write a book.
While I tend to hunt this way.
Elk are not always in the furthest and deepest canyon.
Bull elk can make some really stupid mistakes,
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fridaythe13th » 05 14, 2021 •  [Post 8]

My biggest mistake I made and I cannot correct it is. "Drum role please" lol. Waiting to long to start elk hunting. I was 32 before I set foot in the mountains. 10-15 years I wasted. And even worse with the difficulty getting a tag in the zone I have been hunting the last 7out of 9 years. This could possibly be the last year.
Other than that I make mistakes all most every day, wrong valley, wrong call at the wrong time, damn wind swirls, I miss the shot, only 7 days to hunt, bent sight pin, toooo tired, I like beer to much, stop to talk to the neighbors to long. And that was just last year. Lol
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 14, 2021 •  [Post 9]

About 13-14 years ago I was super busy with work and decided not to by an elk tag...biggest hunting mistake I’ve made was not hunting that one year
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 05 15, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Fridaythe13th wrote:My biggest mistake I made and I cannot correct it is. "Drum role please" lol. Waiting to long to start elk hunting. I was 32 before I set foot in the mountains.l

I had to get married and move 1500 miles to go on my first elk hunt, I was 33.
I tend to leave an area if there are others hunting even when I know there are elk,,,
I dont know where I got this wacko ideology but for a few years I wouldn't hunt the same place two days in a row even if I was in the elk. Often I gave fields a rest after a good goose hunt. And kind did the same with elk.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 05 15, 2021 •  [Post 11]

After seeing the post heading a number of days. My biggest hunting mistakes was not taking more days off work to hunt,....And pulling my daughters from school or my wife from work to hunt.

I years passed on trips to Canada for deer and bear,,, yeee and had a continuous invite to hunt and trap Peace River Country.

My biggest regret was not taking the family for a week or so on backcountry hunts.

I know this wasnt what I was originally thinking or Swede even suggesting, but I passed on some rare opportunities
Lefty

Postby Mathewsz7-elkridge » 05 28, 2021 •  [Post 12]

This mistake hunts a lot because it happened on the first elk I shot.

So we were walking into a stop to do some calls and there were about 30 plus elk standing about 300 yards away in a clearing. I got the attention of my buddies that there were elk a head of us and just watched to see what they were going to do. As a couple turned around to he back to this saddle that the elk use a lot we started running to wrap around to hopefully cut them off. Long shot but never no unless you try right?! Two miles later and winded we start easing into the timber. Right after I spot elk 80 yards out. I adjust my sight to 60 yards and wait. I have an adjustable 4 pin so if it’s set at 20 I can use my pins at 20,30,40,50. As we are waiting I hear thunder/elk running. Think no what happened to wait that sounds isn’t changing. Then I peak around to find 4 cows and a big 6 pt running right at me! As they see me they go another 40 yards away and stop. My buddy gets a shot of at the bull but hit a branch. It was so steep I had to step down 5 steps to get above the grass line. 6 more came out and stopped at the release of my arrow my heart sunk because I realized my sight was still on 60 and I held my 40 pin on it so I shot the elk for 90 yards when it was 40 away. In all my frustration and kicking the dirt my buddy tell me more elk are coming. I reload and the stop at 60 fire and hit the 12 ring. It was such an amazing feeling. After celebrating and giving it some time I went up to grab my bow. As I grabbed it my heart sunk bc my second shot was with an arrow with a field point! It was a really bad idea to have that with me. I used that arrow for target practice and grouse. We ended up spending 4 hours looking for this elk. It was very fortunate and I will never have a field tip in my quiver again. We did another grid search the next morning as well.
Mathewsz7-elkridge