Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

newbie looking for help in Colorado

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

newbie looking for help in Colorado

Postby Mike_Parson » 05 09, 2021 •  [Post 1]

as a very novice elk hunter I have tried to figure out what units offer the best elk to hunter ratio and ample access to hunting grounds for an OTC riffle hunt. My online search for information and info i got from the CWD showed that units 71 and 70 and 13 were the best odds of a successful harvest, but when i look at the public hunting areas in those units its a joke and it seems most of those hunting stats are private land hunters harvest numbers. can anyone help a guy just looking to put boots on the ground and have a chance at a shot at an elk. i dont need honey holes, but a unit and general areas on that unit would be greatly appreciated. i will do lots of scouting and research to figure out the best plan of attack. i just need help figuring out what unit to try to attack. Thank you in advance.
14' Bowtech RPM 360. 29", 67#
100Gr. Ramcat Broadhead
BloodSport FPS Hunter arrows

08' Diamond Rock, 29" ,65#
100Gr. RamCat Broadhead
BloodSport FPS Hunter arrows
Mike_Parson

Re: newbie looking for help in Colorado

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 10, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Mike, I know zilch about the Centennial State. I'm sure someone with some unit knowledge will chime in.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 05 11, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I may be wrong, but CO doesn't have much for OTC rifle seasons that I'm aware of. I believe you have to draw or pick up a leftover tag.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby saddlesore » 05 11, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:I may be wrong, but CO doesn't have much for OTC rifle seasons that I'm aware of. I believe you have to draw or pick up a leftover tag.

West of I-25 more than 75 % of the big game units have OTC bull licenses, unlimited in number, for 2nd and 3rd season with rifle. There are 89 of them. For archery, about 50 of the units are OTC for cow elk, west of I-25 That is probably more than 50% of the Big Game units. About 75% of the units west of I-25 are OTC for bulls and all units east of I25 except one are OTC for bulls
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 05 11, 2021 •  [Post 5]

saddlesore wrote:
Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:I may be wrong, but CO doesn't have much for OTC rifle seasons that I'm aware of. I believe you have to draw or pick up a leftover tag.

West of I-25 more than 75 % of the big game units have OTC bull licenses, unlimited in number, for 2nd and 3rd season with rifle. There are 89 of them. For archery, about 50 of the units are OTC for cow elk, west of I-25 That is probably more than 50% of the Big Game units. About 75% of the units west of I-25 are OTC for bulls and all units east of I25 except one are OTC for bulls

Holy smokes! I was absolutely wrong about that then! Thanks for chiming in!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C