Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Summer scouting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Summer scouting

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 02, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Summer is soon to be upon us. What trips do you have planned? What’s your plans for the summer to help you put meat in the freezer this winter?

First off I will be putting in for Idaho draw hunts and see if I will be a lucky winner and pack my rifle this year. Or if I get the consolation price and pack my bow and do t have to wait as long to be hunting.

I’m hoping to get out in early June and see if I can find where a few of the bulls I hunted last fall hang in the summer. The bear hunt is open until June 15th so maybe I can find yogi while I’m up there. I might also do a summer trail ride with one of my hunting buddies and clean a trail out that the forest service hasn’t cleaned in years just in case we take the horses for a week during the season and pack into that area. Mainly just camping and fishing with the family though is what I’m hoping for this summer :D
Elkhunttoo

Re: Summer scouting

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 02, 2021 •  [Post 2]

DC0BBE72-46C1-405C-872C-CFA56DB3AEBD.jpeg
DC0BBE72-46C1-405C-872C-CFA56DB3AEBD.jpeg (147.14 KiB) Viewed 1450 times

Only a few more months and the 2021 season is here. :D :D
Elkhunttoo

Postby Tigger » 05 03, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Vicariously! my dad is going to our area to scout and ride the trails. so i have to prep him for what to look for.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 05 03, 2021 •  [Post 4]

God willing I hope to go back to the area I have hunted for the last three seasons. I want to hang a few cameras and check some new place. It has been dry here in Oregon for the last two months, so it may be good hunting water holes this September. I will know more about that by late August. :lol:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby dsayer » 05 04, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Hunting a new OTC archery unit this season. Don't live in CO anymore so going for a summer trip in July. Mostly just looking for access, potential campsites, and to get a sense of hiking/backpacking pressure.
dsayer

Postby Lefty » 05 08, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I pretend to be bear hunting.
In reality I just like stomping around or sitting in the elk woods. Ive already gotten some good trail cam pics of bears, elk, martin, fox, hounds,,,
Had some pretty gal who didnt know I had two trail cams,.. " Cant say for sure it was her, but everything was gone on one trail cam.

I plan to focus on two new elk and deer locations one some distance from camp,.. the other up hill from camp , just a small area to focus on that first week deer. In the past Ive always likes hunting October rifle deer in Idaho. But this year maybe chase deer the first week in September than go to Montana for Waterfowl in October ,, And maybe pester some of your SW Montana hunters ,,,or invite you on a goose/duck hunt!

Ill move the camera spend some time hiking. Snow should mostly be gone the next week or two,..I plan to look for another campsite and go Swede,.. put up a stand over a wallow, seep .
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H