Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Preparing For The Hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Preparing For The Hunt

Postby Swede » 04 09, 2021 •  [Post 1]

We have over four months before the beginning of many elk hunts, but at least some of us are getting ready now. What are you doing, and what do you anticipate doing in the near future so you will be ready?

I am still drawing my bow every other day. This morning I am again going for the regular three mile hike here, and this afternoon I am planning to apply for some special draw hunts. There is still a little more to do to get the new Tacoma ready to haul much of my camping gear. That should be finished next week.
BTW: Does anyone have an App for an Android phone that will show you precisely where the big bulls, which can be legally hunted are hanging out? I could use that on my phone. I get cell phone reception at camp, so I can change my hunt plan if the bull moves around. No hell hole bulls please. I feel too old for that. :lol:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Preparing For The Hunt

Postby Tigger » 04 09, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I am going to get unprepared on April 20. Going backward. Surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff and biceps. Then, I will start the preparations in terms of a late Oct rifle hunt. It hasn't really hit me yet that I am missing bow season. I think there is a 50/50 chance I will shed real tears.

Who am I kidding. It is more like 98/2.

If we get drawn, I will start doing research in a few weeks to find our spot in earnest. I guess that counts, eh?

I might figure out how to install an app on Swedes phone that attracts skunks though..... :lol:
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 04 09, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Im always preparing.
Former Scoutmaster following the Scout Motto "Be prepared"
First I need to finish this kitchen/living/dinning room remodel. Which will include making the shop/barn usable.
I hope to shoot more often , Setting out bear baits and trail cams. I have some serous plans for a few backpacking trips and maybe a back country canoe trip or two.
I do need to get my hearing aids and reading glasses squared away. Break out the calls and bugle to the coyotes .

But most important keep my wife happy,,..
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 04 09, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Mostly physical training. We bought a Peloton bike recently and I’ve been riding 45 min to 1 hour almost daily. Already have noticed a big difference in my wind and endurance. My rifle is dosed and ammo loaded so no need for that this year. I’ll start shooting again in June or July in preparation for bear in August. For me it’s going to be staying in the best shape I can and fine tuning some gear choices over the next couple months. I feel very prepared in those departments, just wish I had a good elk tag to be excited about.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 04 09, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Physical training? Pshaw! I am gonna get fat eating donuts while I recover. It will make getting in shape later this summer all that much worse. :shock:
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 04 09, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Sounds like you're working on getting in shape too. Just a different kind of shape. Round...
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 04 10, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Tigger wrote:Physical training? Pshaw! I am gonna get fat eating donuts while I recover. It will make getting in shape later this summer all that much worse. :shock:

Hey Im blaming this getting fatter on Corona virus
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby lilshootergirl » 04 12, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Scouting, working on loads, shooting, shooting and more shooting, this Tika handles and shoots different than my Remington, I think weight is a huge factor. Recoil isn't any different. It loves the 165 grain sirocco's! I'm still shooting at every position that I may need to do, as this rifle is different for sure.
When the snow melts I'm putting my boots to the ground and eyes everywhere! If I draw a bull, I'm doing both, as a the meat will help a lot of families besides mine. Good luck everyone!
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 14, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Starting to get out shed hunting the last few weeks and a few more absolutely crazy hikes planned for sheds. Hopefully that will get me in shape for running a few trail cams this summer. Mainly just every day busy life schedule just trying to keep my head above water.

Main things I will focus on this summer our physical fitness (I need to drop some weight) shooting my bow, and I really want to work on my calling this year. I have been calling elk for almost 25 years now. This last season I felt like there was a lot I could do on my calling that will improve my chances
Elkhunttoo