Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2021 Western Hunter Film Festival

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2021 Western Hunter Film Festival

Postby WesternHunterBen » 04 07, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Hello Wapiti Talkers!

Ben Britton from Western Hunter Magazine here. We just launched our inaugural Film Festival and wanted to cordially invite you all. Some of you are already subscribers to our magazine, which we greatly appreciate.

https://youtu.be/T0-kz3_eEbY

A bit about the event in addition to the video above: Now through October we're accepting film submissions from hunts that took or will take place during the 2019, 2020, and 2021 seasons. If you already have a qualifying film complete, we urge you to submit it. If not, we hope that you use our event as a great reason to create a hunt film this year. There is over $25,000 worth of gear winnings at stake distributed among the 4 competitive categories. For anyone who doesn't submit a film, we hope that you watch and participate in the online voting round later on.

Submitting a film is easy: simply upload to YouTube or Vimeo, and provide us with the link when filling out the Submit a Film form on our site. Films will be added to our Film Fest site for visitors to watch and enjoy as they are submitted. The sooner you enter, the more views your film will receive through our platform. After the October 31st submission deadline, our staff of industry judges will vote internally to determine the finalist films in each category, which will then move on to an intense public voting period to crown the winners.

You can learn more by visiting the link below. You'll see a place to submit your email if you want to register as a voter, and we'll be doing gear drawings for those who sign up throughout the event (first up is a Marsupial bino harness).

https://filmfest.westernhunter.net

Thanks for reading, and please feel free to ask questions, share your entry, etc. in this thread which will stay here for the duration of the Film Fest.
WesternHunterBen

Re: 2021 Western Hunter Film Festival

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 07, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Thanks for sharing this with us Ben. I can't wait till we start to see the VIDs pop up; how sweet is this event! I know we have a good handful of WT members that have shared some of their hunting VIDs here and am sure that there are more that were just waiting for an opportunity like the Western Hunter Magazine inaugural Film Festival ;). "You'll see a place to submit your email if you want to register as a voter, and we'll be doing gear drawings for those who sign up throughout the event (first up is a Marsupial bino harness)." - Umm, ya! Get signed up as a voter folks and have a chance at winning some cool prizes throughout the event timeline!

Hit these two links ladies and gentlemen and see what the event is all about.

Oh, and welcome to the forum Ben. Western Hunter has been a sponsor here for years but it's nice to have one of the staff/crew on board ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 04 07, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I need a Go Pro!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 04 08, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I got a VIRB
I need to learn how to film.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WesternHunterBen » 04 08, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Indian Summer wrote:I need a Go Pro!

I got the new GoPro Hero 9 this season. It shoots in 5k, does timelapse, and is so small that it doesn't even take up much room in your pocket. Highly recommended.

If you are interested, we will have a full review of the new GoPro in the next issue of the magazine which the deadline to subscribe is 4/15, so hurry up and get in.
WesternHunterBen

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 14, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I tried filming last year. Definitely is an art and I am not a natural at it. It’s still fun just to share the experience and have it for my memories. I will do my best again this year. I just uploaded my first two shed hunts for the year. Definitely did better on those then the archery hunt last year.
Elkhunttoo

Postby ishy » 04 19, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Filming adds a fun dimension to hunts. I've been doing it for twenty years. I actually tied an 8mm camera to a frame pack before Gopro started up trying to figure out a way to film myself. It is way harder than you would expect unless the stars align (and that rarely happens if your packing a camera). I won't let it get in the way of an elk hunt, but have had lots of fun with deer and especially bears over the years. There's all sorts of technology that is making it easier and more affordable all the time. I think if you hunt with a group that are interested you could get great elk footage, but I am the only one in my group remotely interested. My buddies love it cause they know even if I don't have a tag they get a packer/caller/videographer when ever I can.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby WesternHunterBen » 04 20, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Hello Everyone,

We have uploaded the first batch of submitted videos for your viewing pleasure. More are flooding in as we speak. You can watch them all at the link below.

https://filmfest.westernhunter.net/all-submissions/

-Ben
WesternHunterBen

Postby Lefty » 04 22, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Thanks Ben
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WesternHunterBen » 05 10, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Hello Everyone,

We have uploaded more videos. Follow the link in the first post to watch them all.

Don't forget to Register to vote early and be entered for monthly gear giveaways. The next drawing will be at the beginning of June, and we are giving away:

1 - Koyukon Waterproof 40L Duffle Bag, Bottle, Hat, Shirt, Sticker⁠

4 - BaseMap + Western Hunter Magazine 1-year subscriptions⁠

-Ben
WesternHunterBen

Postby WesternHunterBen » 07 15, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Hey Everyone,

Submissions have been coming in, and have heard a lot of plans of hunts being filmed this year. Just wanted to pop over and remind everyone to get registered to vote. Voting isn't until November, but we are giving away gear and subscriptions every month until then. All submissions are live and viewable as well, so go give a few a watch. There are some pretty awesome and inspiring films.

https://filmfest.westernhunter.net/

Also, wanted to share this article from Remi Warren on his tips and tricks for self-filming in hopes to inspire some of you to get a hunt on camera this year.

https://westernhunter.net/fitness/master-the-art-of-self-filming

Thanks,

Western Hunter
WesternHunterBen

Postby WesternHunterBen » 09 15, 2021 •  [Post 12]

Hey Everyone,

Friendly reminder that there are only 45 days left for film submissions. If you know anyone who has put time and effort into creating a hunting film we strongly encourage you to share this event with them. It's free to enter and all we need is the YouTube or Vimeo link, as well as a chance to win an incredible prize package. Worst case scenario you allow us to get your video out there for more people to watch, all views are recorded on your video.

All submissions are current, so if you don't have a video to submit, head over and enjoy some pretty awesome hunting films. We are still giving away prizes once a month for anyone who is registered to vote.

In the end, you will all have the chance to submit your vote for the winner of each category. This event is all about your enjoyment.

- Western Hunter
WesternHunterBen