Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Why Why Why?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Why Why Why?

Postby Lefty » 03 09, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Why did you choose the area ,state or Unit you hunt.

Im going to start with my first elk hunt, Simply it was where my farther in law unit where he had been hunting in Montana. Which all started out with his friend who had lived in Montana, my FIL driving home from their last hunt. . My father in law drove up a valley road and got stuck, and shot a nice bull elk near his pickup. He also quickly meet a few other non resident hunters and became lifetime friends they shot a bunch of elk near where they were all stuck in the snow.

16 years ago we moved to Idaho. My father in law put us in for a trophy bull hunt , the unit just out of town. And now that Im in Idaho I need to hunt elk right!

My choice, of our original archery elk hunting in Idaho was simple. I had selected large, public land unit with tough remote desert access, for hunting antelope. During one antelope hunt we came across 2 bull elk. I hadn't hunted elk in years or shot a bow in :lol: years,.. But these two big boys would have been a cinch. Drove to town to buy a tag and bow. . Found out archery season was over :oops: :o
While ATVing the region I came across elk track , and my buddy Dave convinced me I should buy his bow and archery elk,.. changed my life. And I started hunting the area for its remote uniqueness. Also my hip was giving me sever pain at times and side hilling was a no-no but I could do flat country fairly easy. My first few years I had some crazy great encounters with big bull elk,..

Next up elk area, My daughter wanted a bear rug. On opening day of spring bear season we drove up and checked out the adjoining unit in Idaho to where I shot my first bull elk in Montana. After my hip replacement the excitement of calling bull elk sent me to the mountains where we had been ATV,ing bear and moose hunting
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Why Why Why?

Postby Swede » 03 09, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I worked in timber management for my Forest Service career. I got out into the forest a lot as a part of my job, and could go out scouting elk on the weekends. It was easy for me to hunt the district where I worked. After I retired, hunting went downhill on my long time hunting unit, so I decided on returning to a unit I hunted as a kid. I can scout it for a week in the summer, and hang some cameras that I check when I return. Ultimately I go where I can scout out the elk, and am comfortable I can get one.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 03 10, 2021 •  [Post 3]

a good friend of mine invited us to his area. Extremely generous. That is our #1 choice if we get drawn in WY. Our MT spot is based on one of our group's buddy. He also invited us to hunt that area.

Having said that, I need a new MT spot this year as my daughter doesnt want to hunt in an area with griz. So back to the drawing board. No clue where we are going.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 03 10, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Tigger wrote:, I need a new MT spot this year as my daughter doesnt want to hunt in an area with griz. So back to the drawing board. No clue where we are going.

Some times you need to listen to your daughter. 8-)
We will be putting in for Montana the next few years, Outside of griz country Ill PM the Unit to you, high success rate, high percentage of 6x6 with rifle. I was planning to hunt the adjacent unit from where we hunt in Idaho, and where I killed my first elk in Montana. but my daughter said she wanted to be able to hunt early,.. hike around in the dark follow bugles etc.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby GoGriz1234 » 03 10, 2021 •  [Post 5]

I started hunting in college in Missoula. I have moved further and further away from this location each year. I have yet to find what I am looking for in terms of a balance of what I want in a unit. I need to pick one spot and get to know it better, but a part of me likes spending time in new locations. This year I think I’ll repeat two different units (archery and rifle). Maybe I am destined to be jack of all units, master of none?
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby lilshootergirl » 03 18, 2021 •  [Post 6]

1st off indiansummer! 2nd the opportunity. 3rd terrain, beautiful country with different kind of animals we don't have. I love to hunt, but I also love to watch all the other animals too! I've never been this excited to see this country. I found some interesting facts about this area.fossils, I'm a rock hound, I've got a about 6 different rocks with palm leaves, alder, beetles. This is going to be a great adventure
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl