Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

what would hunting look like?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

what would hunting look like?

Postby Roosiebull » 03 01, 2021 •  [Post 1]

what would modern day hunting look like if the big names that promoted hunting/made shows were all lead by people like Larry D Jones? how different would things be? we see hunting promoted and represented mostly by people with completely different ideals. i forget how cool Larry D Jones is, listening to him talk about hunting and what hunting is to him makes me wish the industry would have been dominated by his type..... so relatable, unlike most hunting personalities.

we have people unhappy with some of the most realistic hunting content because they don't kill huge bulls, when in reality they are trying to capture "elk hunting" not inches of antler being all that matters, and get criticized by people who seemingly miss the whole point.

what would hunting look like today if the industry was led by people like Larry D Jones and Dwight Schuh?
Roosiebull

Re: what would hunting look like?

Postby Swede » 03 01, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Unfortunately Roosie, we will never know. I think Chuck Adams is another top rate hunter sportsman.
I have met Larry a few times and talked with him. His videos are top quality. I never cared much for his writing, but Dwight Schuh more than made up for anything lacking in Larry's writing. The Wilderness Sound videos Larry produced, like Elk Fever and Elk Fever 2 were great. They they are fun to watch and they did not have to get a P&Y bull every few minutes to make it interesting. Larry Jones brought you along for a good hunt, instead to taking you into a shooting gallery to just watch elk drop.

BTW: It is great to see you post on WT again. Did you get moved to Brookings?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 03 02, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Which Brookings?

Newberg and Rinella do a good job of framing the hunt. They shoot big or small and don't always get one. Beyond that, I am having a hard time thinking of any that promote the hunt over antlers.

Commercialization is not always good.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 03 02, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I do think so many new hunters are influenced by personalities, or think that is the way (Hunts) it is. Not every one grows up in a hunting family or hunting relationship, and hunts to each of us has different meanings and we may have different purposes for the hunt.

I didnt know of those two.
Some people are just talented writers and are make the story feel like you are there.
I do believe as a person ages, and experiences, we look at hunts differently, I know I have.
At one time it was how much fur was in the back of the truck at the end of the day, did I fill my tags that year, or limit that day of birds, small game, or fish. Or maybe the biggest,,,,,

Now it the joy of others experiences, or the solitude of where or how Im hunting. Or family and friend time, maybe its the knowledge of knowing we just went through something most people in the would will never see of experience.
That whole ornery competitive side of me doesn't exist like it use too.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 03 02, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote:Unfortunately Roosie, we will never know. I think Chuck Adams is another top rate hunter sportsman.
I have met Larry a few times and talked with him. His videos are top quality. I never cared much for his writing, but Dwight Schuh more than made up for anything lacking in Larry's writing. The Wilderness Sound videos Larry produced, like Elk Fever and Elk Fever 2 were great. They they are fun to watch and they did not have to get a P&Y bull every few minutes to make it interesting. Larry Jones brought you along for a good hunt, instead to taking you into a shooting gallery to just watch elk drop.

BTW: It is great to see you post on WT again. Did you get moved to Brookings?

we are still bouncing back and forth getting ready to move, probably in the next 4-6 weeks.... i will be spending a good amount of time down there regardless starting in April, i drew the SW bear tag, and i'll be hunting it! i asked my wife before applying what tag i should get.... i figured the NW tag would make more sense in reality, knowing how this type of stuff goes, haha..... if we aren't all the way moved by then, i'll have a pretty good "hunting camp" setup!

"Larry Jones brought you along for a good hunt" that's exactly it, he was focused on depicting what elk hunting was to him.... there are a couple cool personalities in the industry today, but the audience (broad brushing here) doesn't want a good hunt, they want freakishly big bulls, and a bunch of animals dying.... that trend is due to who took over the industry....
Roosiebull