Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Your Move-Tigger version! Chapter 2!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Your Move-Tigger version! Chapter 2!

Postby Tigger » 02 16, 2021 •  [Post 1]

That bull is HOT! He is just down the ridge and below you and is screaming every 30 seconds. You and your partner are afraid that one of the other bulls that is bugling on this gem of a mountainside is going to cause this guy to move his cows. Gotta get there quick! You take off quickly and as you drop it starts to get steeper. You glimpse him as the bull screams again...he is the bigger than the biggest bull you have ever shot! You do not have far to go. Just ahead is a great place for a setup. Then it happens. Your foot slips as you have one leg on each side of a deadfall. You slam down on the log like you jumped into a saddle. This time, there is a broken off branch sticking up. You look down already knowing your hunt is over. Impaled on that spike is the inside of your left leg. The blood is coming out fast.....not an artery, but very serious. The stick is in your leg a long ways. how far you cannot tell.

Your move. How do you get out of the wilderness and to a doctor safely? Only use what you typically carry. If you carry an activated InReach, congrats, you only have to stay alive until help gets there. If not, your job is harder. Tell us your course of action!

My course of action starts out like this: I rewrite the story so it is my buddy impaled on the log! :lol:

Part 2: what do you carry in your safety kit and why? I will start out with a dishtowel. Yep, a standard dishtowel. I took a wilderness first aid class and the instructor said there are many uses for the towel. I guess a game bag would work too if you had to lighten the load, but I have a dishtowel. Sling, bandage, wrap, tourniquet, flag, drying dishes....all kinds of uses!

Obviously different hunts require different safety kits, so preface your kit with your typical hunt (ie 9 day backcountry vs dayhunt).
Tigger

Re: Your Move-Tigger version! Chapter 2!

Postby Swede » 02 16, 2021 •  [Post 2]

In my scenario it is mid September. The days are warm, but the temperatures at night drop down to freezing. Typically I hunt alone, but this time I am lucky to have someone with me. I do not have InReach with me. Rats! We do not have cell service there, but it will take only only about an hour to get to where he can call out. We both know where we can call from.
I am going to holler immediately for him to come to me. I will holler several times if necessary. Half of my hunting friends are nearly deaf. It may help Tigger when I am chewing on his tail, but it does not help at a time like this. The hunt is over for today and maybe for the season. If I can stay on the log and not move my leg until I get help, I will stay put. Soon I will have to get the blood stopped, but I do not want to open up the wound before I get help there. I usually have a bunch of paper napkins in my pack. I will get them out and apply pressure to the wound right there if necessary. If that is not enough then I will use my tee shirt. Regardless of the other consequences the blood must be shut off if it is significant. That may require a tourniquet. I always have a belt. We will see if I need a life flight out, or if I get lucky. Hopefully I get to see a doctor instead of a mortician.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 16, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I had something similar happen, only the spike went through the crotch of my pants and missed all flesh :shock: I cautiously step over or around for the past 20 years
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 17, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Gah!!!! This is why I step so carefully when I'm hunting. Always.

It's also why I have an Israeli bandage tucked in my pack. I'm gonna pull that sucker out and wrap it as quick as possible, then assess whether I can hike out or if I need to activate the distress beacon on my Garmin. Obviously infection will be a risk within 12-24 hours, so I'll be weighing my options carefully.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 17, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Tigger, you are a dangerous man. I don't think I want to hunt with you. I'd be too busy patching you up to find time to hunt elk! ;)
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 02 17, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I don't think I would want to have that stab taken out, especially if I can control the bleeding with it in. Use your little saw if you have one to sever the stab from the log. Leave it in you and lay down with your head slightly lower than your leg, while your buddy goes out to call for real help. Be sure your buddy knows the coordinates to your location so you will be found asap.
Swede

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 17, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:I don't think I would want to have that stab taken out, especially if I can control the bleeding with it in. Use your little saw if you have one to sever the stab from the log. Leave it in you and lay down with your head slightly lower than your leg, while your buddy goes out to call for real help. Be sure your buddy knows the coordinates to your location so you will be found asap.

I would agree with you there. But I am probably hunting alone, and I usually don't have a saw on me. If I need to, I can apply a tourniquet with the Israeli bandage, and I definitely need to assess the damage. I might shuck my pack and get the bandage ready before pulling the spike out... but I have a feeling the pain would make me yank myself off the log before I knew what I was doing.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Swede » 02 17, 2021 •  [Post 8]

You are right Dwarf. We make do with what we have. Sometimes in these situations you do not get a second change to make the right decision. Getting help soon is of paramount importance.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 02 17, 2021 •  [Post 9]

The bleeding is a major cause of concern for me. I put in the scenario that it wasnt an artery because if it was, this little story might not last long. I hunted with a National Guard medic and he carried his 1st Aid kit on his belt. I asked why. He said can you stop arterial bleed in time if it is buried in your pack? Probably not. So for this scenario, it is not arterial bleed. My concern with pulling out the stick is nicking the artery. Putting on a tourniquet is major. You will likely lose your leg. You will not be walking out on it. But if you have to stop the bleed, you have no choice.

Change the scenario a bit and put the major bleed on an arm. How well can you get the bandage on and stop bleeding? Have you thought through the process? Broadheads and hunting knives in the backcountry.....!
Tigger

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 18, 2021 •  [Post 10]

I'm always careful with knives and broadheads. But accidents can and do happen once in a while. I figure if a bandaid or a gause compress won't fix it, you are in serious trouble. Tourniquet is a last resort for sure. Unless you are close to medical attention you stand a good chance of losing a limb.

But for those that think they may need more than just the normal small first aid kit, you might consider adding a sanitary napkin or two. I suppose you could always use them as emergence fire starter also.
>>>---WW---->