Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How bad are the grizzly units to hunt?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How bad are the grizzly units to hunt?

Postby BobcatJerry » 12 21, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Looking at the odds in Wy of the units with grizzly bears in them. Odds are nice.

How bad, in reality are the grizzlies in the units with grizzles in Wy and Montana. I really don't have problems with fear (but do respect) of black bears, wolves or lions unless a situation arises, like being face to face. Got a little nervous once when I had a lion at 18 yards in a stand (no tag), but other than that, I feel they fear me just as much. I don't carry side arms or spray.

Now Grizzlies I have lot more respect for. Does anybody hunt these units regularly? How bad is it? I know if I was to hunt in one, I would modify a lot of what I do with camps and meat, and carry spray and side arm. I'm sure it depends on the local areas, but I do know a lot of guys have morbid fears about them (maybe they should) and would never even consider hunting there. I'm sure a close encounter would be nerve racking.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Re: How bad are the grizzly units to hunt?

Postby T/H » 12 22, 2012 •  [Post 2]

knowing that griz associates humans with an easy meal, i might lose a little sleep at night!
T/H

Postby dotman » 12 22, 2012 •  [Post 3]

As long as you take all the proper precautions you'll be fine, it is the bears that live close to humans you really should fear most. I have hunted the Bob in MT and hiked all through GNP and never had an issue that felt life threatening.
dotman

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 22, 2012 •  [Post 4]

If I was set on a unit that had Grizzlies I'd take the needed precautions for sure but you'd bet I'd still hunt it! (grin) Good Luck!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 12 22, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Back in the mid 80's, I asked a Fish & Game biologist the same question about bowhunting elk in grizzly country when I was doing some research for a new area. His immediate answer was, why would you want to hunt elk, with a bow, in grizzly country when there is so many places to hunt without them. Made since to me. The last thing I would want is to have a grizz encounter and always be looking over my back. I've had several black bear encounters, lion encounters and a couple were almost a disaster., but I never really worry about them and enjoy the hunt. I know encounters with grizzlies are not a every day thing, but when they are, they can be more than just a mauling compared to a black bear. I had a friend that used to hunt on the Wyoming-Montana border, and he said his nerves were shot after he saw his 1st grizz while bowhunting. He always joked about if we came upon a pile of grizz crap with a Rolex in it, it was his. :lol:
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer