Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Stealth Mode

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Stealth Mode

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 09, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Last season at around 10 am one day I was basically done for the day. Had to be back home for that evening to take the kids to soccer practice. I new roughly where the elk had went in the morning but the wind was brutal so I had to wait until it was coming up the draw. My options were 1: close the distance as much as a date and then slow play. I wasn’t in love with this option because I had slow played this bull the last two days and didn’t think I would have much of a chance 3 days in a row. Although I was super close on day 2...option 2 was go into “stealth mode” and baby step all the way down the mountain. I had plenty of time so I decided I was going to walk in on them.

I zigged about 100 yards and zagged back... 20 minutes I was only about 20 yards from where I started. I was super dry so I did all I could to be silent...just over an hour into it I was on a great game trail and feeling confident elk were in front of me. With every step I would scan and look as hard as I could through the trees. with my next Step as I start to scan I see a bedded cow no more then 25 yards from me. She had just so happened to turn her head and the second I say her we made eye contact. She was completely relaxed and turned her had back down the draw. Then it was like it clicked in her head what she had just saw. She spun head head back around and me and did the funniest double take I will probably ever see from an elk. She looked me up and down for about 15 seconds and then stood up and started walking down the mountain. She walked about 15 yards and then took off running. Crash boom bang elk took off. They didn’t run far because none of them but her knew anything about what just happened. Because of the angle I had she was the only elk I saw. If she would of been 10 yards farther down the hill I would of ended up 30-45 yards from all whole group in their beds in about 15 more yards on my perfect trail.

Honestly it was one of my favorite moments of last season. Just the look on that cows face when she spun back around was hilarious.

Just curious but has anyone else had moments like this where they just became one with the woods ;) and walked up on a group of bedded elk?
Elkhunttoo

Re: Stealth Mode

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 10, 2021 •  [Post 2]

:lol: :lol: :lol: I can just imagine the look on her face!

Can't say I've ever snuck up that close on bedded elk though. Impressive work!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Tigger » 02 10, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Not that close. 50 yards from a bedded bull. 35 yards from 2 bedded bulls. No shots at any of them.

curious, did you try calling them back? The rest of the herd may have come back. I have done it and it has worked!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 02 10, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I have walked up close on standing elk, but don't remember ever walking up on bedded elk like that. In the heavy brush I have busted them out before I knew where they were, and I have had them walk by fairly close.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 02 10, 2021 •  [Post 5]

The very first elk I ever killed, I was 18, I walked up on like that. A spike bull. I was walking an old road grade covered in pine needles. I had the wind and I was just creeping along glassing ahead of me. I came to a corner in the road with a bunch of young reprod, and literally walked to within 3 or 4 yards of him bedded on the other side. I didn't know he was there either. He leapt up and ran off through the woods, stopping at about 40 yards to figure out what the heck I was. Luckily, I knew exactly what he was... :D
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 10, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Tigger wrote:Not that close. 50 yards from a bedded bull. 35 yards from 2 bedded bulls. No shots at any of them.

curious, did you try calling them back? The rest of the herd may have come back. I have done it and it has worked!

I remember I called for a bit but honestly I don’t remember what sounds I tried to make. I’ve had some luck before breaking them up and getting back in on them but not this time. The best part about it was I knew elk were bedding in the trees and I had been through these trees several times. I just always managed to mess the bedroom. Now I know right where it is.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 02 12, 2021 •  [Post 7]

My first archery elk( cow )a long stalk in the ldaho desert. I couldn't get the close 13 yard shot another cow at 25 , got my tag.
I was a wierd kid when I was young. After a good ood rain I would track deer down. Often getting 10 feet or less. I've had does I've snuck up on stomp and blow just yards away
I've stalked antelop a hand full of times to under 15 yards. One antelope I was feet away positioning myself for z pic with my daughter 14 yards from the antelope
We use to call the animal turing "inside out" when they try to get away.
Getting close is kinda my thing

But getting too close to a moose is stupid,. Done tgatoo
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 02 12, 2021 •  [Post 8]

This may sound way out of place, but the herd and flock mentality sometimes works againt the animal.
I one time paddled two if us yards from thousand of ducks and geese. I've crawled out of a pit blind 70 yards from 2000 geese.
Had 120 deer on all sides of me many in arms leagth walk last me.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 02 13, 2021 •  [Post 9]

In the dark I was following bugling bulls . At light I was pinned down in the open 90 yards from three cows. The only thing I was hiding behind was my boots. the cows kept looking to the north west. I suspected it was the bulls. Eventually a coyote walked from that direction. So I make the assumption it was the coyote that held their interest. I slipped back over the ridge Back to camp to camp, call my wife I was going to go Kill a cow elk ( my last day to hunt).
. Glassing the cows I set up the stalk. an hour and a 1/2 later I shot a cow.
Then headed back for the pickup I dropped my pack to pee, in the location I had set the stalk up from.. and these guys got up, I was able to dig my camera out and get this pic. This was the third time,..
old story
2010-09-11 14-03-08.jpg
2010-09-11 14-03-08.jpg (18.97 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
Lefty