Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Your Move Hoss 2021, Episode #3

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Your Move Hoss 2021, Episode #3

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 05, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Hunt Pressure Status: Minimal
Hunt: Solo Hunt
Camp Type: Backwoods spike camp
Tag/Timeline: Archery, 3 PT or better bull; early Elktember; around 4:30 in the afternoon.

Well, this is exciting! This morning, you were into em’ thick on the south side of a dry ridge with no shots; you’re now sitting in the bottom of a small, steep draw to the north of that ridge. As the heat of the day kicked in and the elk moved to bed, you decided to dump down into the gulley to filter some water, grab some lunch, kick back for a while, and recharge for the evening hunt which will take you back towards camp (through where you got into em’ this morning). Just as you’re getting antsy to head back over, you hear something moving up the draw, kicking rocks as it moves, popping and crunching the dry twigs and pine cones. Quick as a hiccup, you leave your pack, and move to where you sit now (red arrow). You first see big brown coming towards you on the game trail when he is only 30 yards or so away. Right before he rounds the corner (as far as you can see on the blue trail coming from the SW), you come to full draw. Big brown stops to do a bit of rubbing on the tree, where you see him NOW. You’re no more than 20 yards from the bull. In the same moment, you hear some cow chatter on the other side of the draw, coming up from the west. I will tell you that this bull will “probably” move off the rubbing, to the north, across the small stream where your pack sits…… on his way to where the cows are (wink, wink… you may have one more angle/shot opp at big stinky if you’re patient). That’s all the intel you get…….

Thermals are as shown; your position is as shown (again, around 20 yards from the trail). Your move Hoss; quarter back this thing and tell me what you think is going on and how you’re gonna bring this fellow home for dinner. Is there anything you feel you could have done better up to this point in time?

Rub #1 Mark Up.png
Rub #1 Mark Up.png (936.39 KiB) Viewed 2771 times

Reminder, if you’re shooting, save the picture to your desktop and open in MS Paint, then place a spot, X, or whatever on the critter before you save it back to a jpg or png and add the marked up pic with your post.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Your Move Hoss 2021, Episode #3

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 05, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I'm waiting. And as soon as he turns to his left that arrow is flying for a slight quartering to shot opportunity. At that range, I'm not even gonna stop him. Just aiming tight to the point of his shoulder.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Swede » 02 05, 2021 •  [Post 3]

At 4:30 the winds are likely shifting. You are vulnerable to being busted at any time. Even the cows, you do not see may smell you, if the wind changes direction. You have no shot now, so move is you can without being detected, or just wait and hope.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 05, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I'm sorta with both these guys.
I'm going a shot iplurtunity presents .

I suspect that bull already knew their were girls around..
If he turns too fast . I'll try a quiet cow whisle

I'll judge at the moment.

And there may not be a shoot at all. Or as he walks away do I chance a soft cow call, break a branch, move my foot, quiet grunt, huff or squeak out of my throat.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 08, 2021 •  [Post 5]

This is the story of my life right here. No shot at this point. Then the wind hits the back of my neck and he is gone.....hold out for now and pray
Elkhunttoo

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 09, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Update: And his 20 seconds worth of advertising/rubbing are done. Big Stinky is now on the move, walking slowly, to head down the trail and across the small stream to go see what his cows are up to. You're still at full draw, have the wind/thermals. Your move mister.... Are you shooting here? What's your plan to bring this critter home for dinner?

Rub #2 Mark Up.png
Rub #2 Mark Up.png (730.95 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 09, 2021 •  [Post 7]

If that arrow for the shooter is correct, I'm calling this checkmate!

Zap.jpg
Zap.jpg (168.81 KiB) Viewed 2717 times
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 09, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Maybe I should release now but I’m going to let him clear the tree he worked over with his next 2 steps and then fire away
Elkhunttoo

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 09, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:If that arrow for the shooter is correct, I'm calling this checkmate!

Zap.jpg

That's some of the finest artwork I've seen on WapitiTalk 8-).
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 09, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Elkhunttoo wrote:Maybe I should release now but I’m going to let him clear the tree he worked over with his next 2 steps and then fire away

That should do the trick. Even with the bull walking/moving, at that distance (20 yards or less), he's not out-stepping your arrow. I'll go get the packs... Oh wait, mine is down by the creek so I'll grab it when we start tracking him ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 09, 2021 •  [Post 11]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:
Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:If that arrow for the shooter is correct, I'm calling this checkmate!

Zap.jpg

That's some of the finest artwork I've seen on WapitiTalk 8-).

:lol:

I try my best. And Swede called us all out for being absent, so I'm trying to make up for it.
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Swede » 02 09, 2021 •  [Post 12]

InkedRub #2 Mark Up_LI.jpg
InkedRub #2 Mark Up_LI.jpg (100.9 KiB) Viewed 2712 times

The idea is to put your arrow where the dot is. If the bull is walking forward, it will be necessary to wait until the dot is past the tree. If the bull is stationary, I would release now. If the bull is walking fast, I would not shoot. I am not practiced enough to hit that spot on a moving target.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 09, 2021 •  [Post 13]

Agreed... I like them standing when I shoot

And as far as packing him RJ...I’ll go get the horse ;)
Elkhunttoo