Shoot or No Shot 2021 - Episode #1

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shoot or No Shot 2021 - Episode #1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 02, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Hunt Pressure Status: Minimal
Hunt: Partner Hunt
Camp Type: Base Camp, driving then hiking to various spots
Tag: Archery; 3 PT or better bull.

You have got to be kidding me! You're on your very first elk hunt and for the past year or so, have wisely hung out on WapitiTalk.com and learned a few tips/tricks from the local riff raff. You and your partner heard an unsolicited bugle at zero dark thirty and wisely, did not made a peep on your own. You instead make a plan to work the prevailing morning thermals and dump into the draw and work "up" on the bull you heard in an attempt to get close, really close, to where you think he and his gals may be heading before you made a decision on whether to call or not. This took you and your buddy a long time and NOW, the thermals are getting ready to change in the late morning....oh hell, they already are switching! Once in close, within what you think is 70ish yards or less of the beast (you've followed his vocalizations throughout the morning and stop at what you think just may be the bench he and his harem is/are bedding down on) and decide now is the time....... You position yourself on the bench/same elevation as the vocal bull, move a bit more across the bench, check the wind and confirm that yep, it’s starting to switch to going uphill and set/drop your partner/shooter and retreat to your calling location...... Now, you quickly scour your memories of Elknut's playbook and decide you're close enough to post a "threat" to Barney Bull.... Several distressed, whiny cow calls are thrown over your shoulder and almost in the same breath you throw out your biggest, baddest, not ready for prime time, SCREAM/challenge/I've got your cows mister bugle, directly at the unseen bull and in the next 5 seconds the response comes quick and it is both verbal and physical......HE'S COMING AND COMING/ FAST…Cripes! He busts through the pine fast and then slows down to a walk, positioned where you see him now in the pic. Your partner may or may not have a shot from his angle (original shooter, about 25 yards to the front of the bull) and you're already at full draw, with your diaphragm hanging between your top and bottom lips (original caller) and the bull is less than 20 yards from where you kneel..........

Shoot or no shot for the original caller at this point in time? For the original shooter? Or, knees are a knocking too bad (sounds like somebody's shaking a paper bag with walnut shells in it) with both original caller and shooter too rattled to even shoot? :?

Bull in our face.png
Bull in our face.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 1895 times

If you or your partner are shooting, save the picture to your desktop and open in MS Paint, then place a spot, X, or whatever on the critter before you save it back to a jpg or png and add the marked up pic with your post.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Shoot or No Shot 2021 - Episode #1

Postby Swede » 02 02, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I remember that scene from years ago. I never took the shot. It is amazing how quickly this huge critter can switch ends and leave you no shot opportunity. He still haunts my memory, and I wonder what I might have done differently, but at this point it is too late. Here is my take on this situation. If you shoot, you will almost surely make a bad hit.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 02 03, 2021 •  [Post 3]

No shot for caller. Not yet. You're at full draw though and he is still moving. Hope he doesn't wind you and turns ever so slightly either way. He's close enough for a frontal shot so of he turns toward you and you're comfortable with it, take it. In the mean time, hopefully your partner can capitalize.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby ishy » 02 03, 2021 •  [Post 4]

One or two steps your good, but with the wind not sure he'll make it that far. I'm ready to nervous grunt if he starts to bolt.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 03, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Going to smell you any second now...but the shoulder just plugs it all up :cry: ...no shot, he smells you and gone...even with a perfect grunt/sound to stop him I think he gets in the trees...you are now fisherman and get to tell people just how big he was 8-)

As for from the shooters angle I really like 20 and in for the frontal. Hard to say exactly what he is seeing but unfortunately because my luck runs this way I’m saying the bull smells us before he gets the shot. Just another story time notch in the belt
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 02 05, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Hold your horses.

Most often out of cell range hiking some funky Nevada back country. and sleeping in untill after sunrise.
While I m away a big rush just asking for my worthless opinion. And to read the answer on a mini text keyboard!.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 02 05, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Our first partner hunts!
My first mysolo hunts !

No matter how many times in my mind this and that was visualized,
The bull walks away, unharmed by us, that bull didn't even know what happens.

Or both wait for a shot to naterialize
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H