Your Move Hoss, 2021 Episode #1

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Your Move Hoss, 2021 Episode #1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 01, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Tag: OTC Bull tag
Season/Hunt: Archery, solo hunt
Time/Date/Location: Sunrise/Mid-September/in the Elk Woods
Camp/gear: Base camp.

Hunting journal: Solo elk hunt in (insert elk state here); day 5 of your 10 day hunt; 3 PT or better bull only tag. The elk in your area have gotten laryngitis/lockjaw and don’t seem to want to talk for the past two days. This morning, you decide to set up on a known travel route/elk trail in a natural material ground blind you slapped together in July during your scout trip. Cool, you arrived at the butt crack of dawn and are ready for your extended sit……. Just 15 minutes into your shift, you hear cows talking and elk moving down the trail, from the other side of the small pine clearing you’re sitting, in the “right” direction… directly towards you. Arrow nocked, release clipped on, and…… cow, cow, cow moving from right to left in front of your position, a calf (who decided to flip ends and stop and loiter on this side of the trail), cow, co…… “SCREEEEAAAAAMMMMM” a bull blows his stack just out of your vision. I guess they’re not so quiet after all! And…… here comes the rack and here comes the bull. This all happens literally, in a matter of a few seconds from when you hear the bull and physically see what you’re seeing right now…. big stinky broadside. You try to draw as quickly and quietly as possible and………………… That’s all you get.

Thermals are as shown; your position is as shown (again, around 35 yards from the trail). Your move Hoss; quarter back this thing and tell me what you think is going on and how you’re gonna bring this fellow home for dinner.

Trail Bull Mark Up.jpg
Trail Bull Mark Up.jpg (113.33 KiB) Viewed 1622 times

Reminder that if you save the thread picture to your desktop and open in MS Paint, you'll be able to place a spot, X, or whatever on the critter before you save it back to a jpg and add the marked up pic with your post if you decide you’re shooting.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Your Move Hoss, 2021 Episode #1

Postby Swede » 02 01, 2021 •  [Post 2]

You will need to wait for the bull to look away. With other elk there, you may have a problem with them, but I would stay quiet and still, and just pay attention to the bull. As soon as he looks away to check on a cow, that would be my time to draw.
From experience, I can say this scenario does not often work out well. Something is most likely going to go wrong.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 02 02, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I think you goofed up by not drawing the instant you saw that rack coming. Now you wait. If you make any movement or sound, the calf, the bull, or a cow will pick you off immediately. Wait and hope they are all looking away and then draw.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 02 02, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Tigger wrote:I think you goofed up by not drawing the instant you saw that rack coming. Now you wait. If you make any movement or sound, the calf, the bull, or a cow will pick you off immediately. Wait and hope they are all looking away and then draw.

I agree, should have drawn as soon as you saw the bull coming. It's hard though with lots of eyes around. Be prepared to draw aim and fire as quickly as possible. Visualize the shot over and over in your head before you even lift your bow. Visualize the pin you need, remember the color and position. Pick your spot on the bull and as soon as you lift your bow, don't take your eye off of it. Hopefully your thousands of arrows fired over the spring and summer leading up to this moment have sufficiently created the necessary muscle memory to fire on auto pilot, and you'll be eating heart tonight next to your camp fire.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 05, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Advantage goes to the trad shooter here I think. There's only one way you're killing that bull IMO, and that's if you get drawn while he's still standing right there. The cow is between me and him, and I'm hoping that distracts him while I slowly draw. Which is something I can actually do, given no major hump in the draw cycle to pull over. I can ooze like molasses to full draw and at least hope he doesn't bust out.

Now, I'm not saying it'll work, but it's got a chance. Maybe a small one, but it's still a chance!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Swede » 02 05, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:Advantage goes to the trad shooter here I think.

To quote the Aflac goat, "Naaa, naaa, naaa." The advantage goes to the tree stand hunter in good cover. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 05, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Too bad that man in the tree stand is too far away.
With cows around, I'm drawing. Cows will bust. But bulls can get stupid, just like the HS senior at a sorority party.
The key;, don't let the girls catch you drawibg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H