Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado elk herd numbers

Moderators: Lefty, Swede, Tigger, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado elk herd numbers

Postby saddlesore » 01 28, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I just received my annual Preference Point issue of Colorado Outdoors. CPW sure seems they be blowing smoke up someone's butt by inflating figures in order to keep license sales up. I have every issue since 2005. Going back to 2015, the total herd count for the state was 264030. Now it is 292760? Anyone see 22,000+ more? I sure haven't.

Looking at a few individual herds, in which I have hunted,they claim the White River herd, that encompasses quite a few Big Game units, grew 92000 more elk. The Eagle Nest Wilderness herd (Piney River herd) which is 35, 36 units stayed the same, about 3800-3900 elk.Talking to the local WCO, he told me that herd is the lowest they ever counted and advised not hunting there. Unit 54 which is North of Gunnison is hard to extrapolate, but use to be about 6300 by itself, but is now included in Unit 53 an another and shows about 7700. It is not showing any great increase in numbers since they cut it down to about 3100 back in 2015-2016 since selling those OTC cow and bull tags with a cap of 500.
I don' t think they have clue as to the true number of elk because they do small counts and then let a computer simulate the totals
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Colorado elk herd numbers

Postby Swede » 01 28, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Don't worry Vince. When they get those wolves in there, the elk numbers will come down to a level they can actually count. Instead of competition from hunters, you can wait on little old ladies with tennis shoes, a Latte, and a pair of binoculars while they are out scanning the mountain sides. :shock:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 01 29, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Maybe they forgot the decimal point between the 6 and the zero! Hahahalmao!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 01 29, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:Don't worry Vince. When they get those wolves in there, the elk numbers will come down to a level they can actually count. Instead of competition from hunters, you can wait on little old ladies with tennis shoes, a Latte, and a pair of binoculars while they are out scanning the mountain sides. :shock:

Although my hunting days are about over, I am almost glad I am done with it. Hunting in Colorado has followed the rest of the liberal agenda. CPW is putting more money in outdoor recreation that does not include hunting. I do feel sorry for all the younger guys that think Colorado has an elk behind every tree and spend thousands of dollars for a camping trip and they can hike around the woods with a rifle or bow
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 29, 2021 •  [Post 5]

The CPW has two ways to determine elk herd numbers. WAG and SWAG. That's Wild Arse Guess and Scientific Wild Arse Guess !
>>>---WW---->

Postby saddlesore » 01 29, 2021 •  [Post 6]

>>>---WW----> wrote:The CPW has two ways to determine elk herd numbers. WAG and SWAG. That's Wild Arse Guess and Scientific Wild Arse Guess !

You would be surprised at the number of people who think CPW's numbers are gospel
saddlesore

Postby Magic » 02 16, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Looks like we should be able to make a trip this year. My son Marty has enough PP's (7) to draw a 2nd season Bull tag in an area where we have been successful in the past. We shall see.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D