Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Offseason!! What coaching changes do you need to make!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Offseason!! What coaching changes do you need to make!!

Postby Elkhunttoo » 01 07, 2021 •  [Post 1]

The best sports teams, even when they are on the top of their game make changes in the offseason to make it so that they can stay on top. The teams that do really good for a season or have a lucky hot streak, and feel like they are good enough to do it next year usually fail. So, what do you need to improve this 2021 to make it so when the bulls start rutting, you will be tuned in and ready to go.

For me, #1) Shooting, I felt decent going into last year but unfortunately when the moment was right I failed. I will be concentrating on shooting, lots and lots practice this year to try and improve my form and release.

#2) my weight... I told myself as I sat the water hole for the final hours of the hunt that if I wasn’t in the 180’s I won’t buy a tag next year. And that just isn’t an option. I was in decent shape by the middle to end of the season but I weighed 205 for most of the hunt. I have put on a few more since then so now the journey towards the 180’s begins and I would love to make it the 170’s.

#3) call sounds...I have always felt confident in my calling but I know I can do way better. The sounds I want to work on are the small squirrelly (if that’s a word) bugle and panting... Ive watched a lot of elk nuts stuff and this last year I couldn’t believe how often I herd the herd bull panting while just moving along with his cows. I felt it added in the “realistic” side of calling and I will make a whole new thread on it later.

Your up! What do you need to improve!
Elkhunttoo

Re: Offseason!! What coaching changes do you need to make!!

Postby Indian Summer » 01 08, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I just need to improve my draw odds! Although I do plan on practicing my long shots a lot.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 01 08, 2021 •  [Post 3]

#1 and #2 sound good to me. Well, losing some of my weight, not yours! I didn't shoot as much as I usually do last summer and it did NOT cost me. but it could have. Lesson learned without missing! as for the weight, I really struggle this time of year. more food and less exercise is not a recipe for losing weight I don't think.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 01 08, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Exercise, exercise, exercise. Not that all other aspects of my hunting curriculum are A+, but I'm confident in my rifle to 500 yards, I know as well as I can the places I plan on hunting, and chances are I won't be hunting elk in a calling scenario this year so I'm going to focus on my training and getting in the best physical shape I can be. My first hunts of the year will be August alpine bear hunts here in WA, and the places I want to go are steep, and high. I need to be there at daylight, and often I only have a day to hunt at a time that time of year so no spiking out. I need to leave the truck and hike 5 miles and gain 3000'-4000' elevation before daylight. I don't do New Years resolutions, so I took the first week of the month to ease into the new year, but Monday, my wife and I are both starting up morning workouts again. Not looking forward to 5 am.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 01 08, 2021 •  [Post 5]

I have lost 6-7 pounds this Fall and Winter. I plan to lose about ten more. So far, all it required was for me to quit snacking. I forget who, here on the forum, said I should snack on some celery and turnips. Well I have eaten a lot of those, but they don't count as "snacks". I don't have a lot of bigger plans to improve. I will be happy if I don't begin to go downhill. I pull my bow back ten times in a fairly quick sequence every other day, so I don't lose strength. I know I can go downhill fast if I don't watch out.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 01 08, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Christmas cookies and spiked cider hit me hard over the holidays. Mid 30's is when my never ending metabolism decided to start sleeping in it seems. Only about 6-8# over fighting weight, so I feel like I should be able to drop that with a little diligence.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 01 08, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Shooting my bow. I need to destroy my 3d targets this spring and summer. Lots of shooting. I slacked on it this last year, bad. If you cant make the clean kill when the time comes, everything else is pointless
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 01 08, 2021 •  [Post 8]

I think Im going to prep a spike camp , fence out the cows, fully stocked. Just to tough making a trip down in and back out and have the ability to do it two days in a row.
Next year Im not "saving" for my daughter and Andrew. Ive told them they will get the call when I need to pack.

Well and Im going Swede on one location. Lots of tree stand over a wallow prep. Short walks from the ATV trail. So Ill be hassling Swede for other reasons
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fridaythe13th » 01 08, 2021 •  [Post 9]

All of the above. But mostly excited about back to the basics, the brother and I got lucky and drew the tag we wanted. The 1st trip out west (99) was just him and I and it was the start of just plain fun hunting, we add lots of other hunters over the last 22 years, 16 two be exact. Now It's just the 2 of us with a good tags. Yes I need to loose 50 lbs, yes I need to shoot more, yes I would love to have more time to e-scout. Yes I would love to be 22 years younger when the hill were smaller. But the hell with it, just hunt have fun.
But I still should try to drop a few lbs.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Billy Goat » 01 09, 2021 •  [Post 10]

get my fat self back in shape.

I'm about 202# now, but ideal hunting weight is around 180#.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Old school » 01 09, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Convert 10 lbs of fat into muscle.

Workout my legs more

Practice more with my bow
Old school

Postby Lefty » 01 10, 2021 •  [Post 12]

Billy Goat wrote:get my fat self back in shape. I'm about 202# now, but ideal hunting weight is around 180#.

I have a long ways to 202#. .
One of my weight goals is to get back to extra large.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ishy » 01 15, 2021 •  [Post 13]

Stop being such a proud masochist! I have spent the majority of my time in a unit that hovers between 1-3% success. I have killed elk there but think I could have exponentially more fun with a few more animals to play with.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L