Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Fire Vs Elk movement

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Fire Vs Elk movement

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 14, 2020 •  [Post 1]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol8oDuq ... e=youtu.be

Just thought this might be of some interest to some of you. There was a previous post about how elk reacted to the heavy smoke during the wildfire seasons. So here is some newly acquired data from the Colorado parks and wildlife.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Fire Vs Elk movement

Postby LDriver » 11 14, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Pretty interesting that the animals don't show a large movement pattern and stay in the general area of their normal range. I am interested to see what happens next year when the elk return to the summer range with the loss of habitat. Will it drive them to other areas or will there be enough food with the fire acting as a fertilizer for the forest. I guess time will tell that answer.
LDriver

Postby Swede » 11 14, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I have observed that elk stay in the same general area of a fire. The could be seen in a meadow grazing early in the morning when we went out to work on the fires. They were nearby after the fire. What I wondered was, does the fire interrupt their normal movement and cause them to stay in sheltered locations? This past season we had unusually heavy smoke where I hunted, and I was not seeing elk come around my stands for weeks. Was that cause and affect, or coincidence? Maybe the biologist that was tracking elk in and around the fire could figure that out.
I have seen bucks bedded down right in the heavy burn area while smoke is still coming up in spots. They sure did not go far.

Anyway thanks for the video WW.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 11 14, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Thanks

Good stuff

I shot my first Idaho antelope in 100000 acre burn
The rocky pockets with feed

I also target desert burns for geese
Fall green cheet grass is a magnet for grazers
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 11 16, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Burns are a magnet for wildlife the next year and for many years after that. Watch Randy Newberg and get his opinion on burns! He loves them.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 11 16, 2020 •  [Post 6]

The problem I have seen with hunting burns the next year and following is that everyone knows the deer and elk are feeding there. Burns are a hunter magnet too.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics