Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Hunting Skills And Equipment

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Hunting Skills And Equipment

Postby Swede » 11 11, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I know this can vary from State to State or even parts of a hunting unit. It can be different for different hunts, but what have you found to be special skills and/or equipment you need to be an effective elk hunter? In addition how does this special skill or equipment apply?

A young man went on an annual elk hunt with his grandfather. He had observed that his grandpa was quite consistent in getting an elk, while he only connected once in awhile. He decided the first morning he would follow his mentor around and see just what the old guy was up to. Grandpa walked out an old logging road for about 20 minutes, found a good place to sit down, and sat there for hours just watching, glassing and waiting. The old guy did not even come in for lunch. He just sat there most of the time.
After watching his grandpa, the young hunter decided to practice patience, and do the same thing on his on. A few days later grandpa killed a nice bull. The younger hunter got nothing that season.
Grandpa knew his area, and the normal travel pattern of the elk during that early rifle season.
Grandpa did nothing fancy or tricky. He had no special equipment. He was not going to run with the young dogs. He just did what he had learned to do over his decades of hunting.

Personally I have found that a good tree stand, set up in a good location is very productive. The difference between grandpa and me, is that I take a book to read on my hunt, and I use a bow. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Elk Hunting Skills And Equipment

Postby 7mmfan » 11 11, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Swede, I think your story basically nailed it. To be consistently successful, the most important factor is knowing the ground and the habits of the elk that inhabit it. However, knowing elk habits and tactics to use depending on the time of year can allow you to be successful in unfamiliar ground.

For me, most of my hunting experience is post rut to late season. If hunting post rut, I do A LOT of glassing, and I move frequently. I know that the bulls are going into hidey holes and not straying far from them unless pushed out, so sitting in one spot that I don't know to be a sanctuary could be a waste of time. I glass, move, glass, move, glass, move, until I find animals or sign suggesting they are there. Then I will slow way down and try to find a vantage point where I can watch the area from.

So for me, good glass and lightweight gear that allows me to move quickly and comfortably is very important. Sometimes this takes me a long ways from the truck, so a pack that I can haul meat in is also essential.

All of that said above, I've killed 7 elk in the last 10 years. Most of them were spikes though. The last three in a row have been from Idaho, all spikes. All but one were found by covering ground and glassing and then watching the areas where I found elk. If I had staggered into the woods and sat down in the first elky looking spot I came across, I would not have killed any of them. This year, applying that tactic I easily could have killed a number of nice bulls, had they not bedded in the thick timber leaving the lonely spike laying out in the open.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 11 11, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Skills: Calling bulls, the willingness to hunt black timber in not so fun places, good attitude, understanding what elk are saying when they vocalize (at least some of the time!), determination, being able to seal the deal in the moment of truth, and general hunting skills. The general hunting skills could take up pages of writeup, but generally I mean not doing stupid stuff like hunting with the wind, skylining, hunting areas with no elk, sleeping late, quitting early, hunting close to roads in obvious places (not those overlooked places), moving, talking, etc. I read about guys who go out and hike 9,578,632 miles on a 5 day hunt and never see anything and i wonder what they did wrong. I have a sneaking suspicion it is something obvious.

Equipment: Calls that work, Sitka clothing (yes, Swede, read it an weep!! Sitka, SITKA, SITKA!!), mountain boots (Schnees), a bow that sends a pointy thing in the general direction that I point it, and wind powder. Wind powder is such a small thing, but when you need it, your REALLY need it.

We run ridges and call, we glass when we can (not always an option given the terrain), and we cover some ground to find a bull that wants to play. It seems to work for us. Sometimes anyway.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 11 11, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I totally agree with your comments and observations, except for the Sitka gear idea. Still, it doesn't hurt and if you like it, you are at no disadvantage.
What occurs to me is that you characters have discovered a technique that works well in the area and time you hunt, or you have found an area that works for your style of hunting. But these things like the old man's sit and wait technique are not universal. As goofy as 7mm is, his observations and hunting style work where he hunts. :D
The disadvantage a new elk hunter has, is a lack of experience to draw upon. Even if he goes with a guide, what he learns may not be enough if you take it somewhere else and successfully hunt, or even to successfully use it a different time of year.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 11 11, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Once again, as much as it pains me to say it, you are ri...riggggg *gag*.... right Swede. I think the point is there are no universal truths to elk hunting. Different tactics and techniques work, even during the same season and location. Sitting likely travel corridors during the rut in September can be just as effective as running and gunning and calling. Still hunting thick north slopes in late October can be just as effective as glassing from a distance and covering ground.

After reevaluating the discussion, if I was going to list that the most important things to consider for consistent success they would be:

1. Pick an area and learn it
2. Pick a season and learn how the animals act during it in that area
3. Pick a tactic or technique, and give it a real try. Not a couple hours, or even a day, but several days or an entire season even.
4. All of that said, be flexible.

Let me expand on those last two contradictory statements.

3.1- Some people get lucky and are successful the first time they try something, but most of us experience trial and error for some time before gaining competency. You won't ever get good at a particular tactic if you bounce around between different ones all the time. This applies to locations and seasons and well. If you hunt an area that has animals but strike out, dont just bounce to the next one expecting different results. Of you hunt early archery andstrike out, dont assume picking up a rifle in October will increase your odds. Stay the course and learn it.

4.1- All of the above said, If its blatantly obvious your chosen tactic is not working, or is even being detrimental to your success, have a plan b and be willing to implement it. This could mean quitting calling and starting sitting. Or quitting covering tons of ground glassing and get in the timber. Elk move, they have 4 legs and use them. So if theres no elk in the area you're hunting, move! You won't learn anything hunting places that don't have elk. You could know every pine needle in a square mile, but if the elk don't frequent that area, then you'll never kill one there. Take careful note of these areas, (feed/water situation, cover, proximity to roads/people, etc...) and know that likely other places like it probably won't hold many animals either. Likewise, when you find areas that do hold animals consistently, do the same thing.

5. Lastly. Don't give up. Even though I hear of guys killing bucks and bulls from their camps every year, don't make that part of your game plan. You will likely experience extended periods of little to no game sightings and action. Know that it can all change in an instant but you have to be there for it to happen, not napping in your tent or drinking beer around the camp fire. Save that for after you kill your elk. Stay the course.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Roosiebull » 11 14, 2020 •  [Post 6]

equipment is very secondary (within reason of course) agree with your post Swede.

equipment is beneficial too, but most fall in a luxury category, where skill/experience is more necessity.

some equipment is a little more than luxury, like boots that fit well and don't cause discomfort, and packs maybe more so. a good pack lets me go a little further, knowing i can get one off the mountain myself. that came more to light this year using a couple different packs, and the difference in the experience hauling heavy loads. i watched a good friend kill a nice 5pt roosie this morning, and my skinny arse carried a front and rear quarter in my pack about 3 miles, and never had to take a break.... same load different pack i just would not have been able to carry that much weight, and i would have had to drop my pack a few times.... it's a very important piece of equipment if you are hauling critters very far on your back.

as far as latest and greatest stuff, i don't think it makes much difference.... certainly not make or break. having the knowledge and skills is very much make or break. a lot of people focus on the wrong stuff it seems, buying into marketing and the improvements they make year to year are gear improvements, like that's why they didn't fill their tags the year before.

i do like buying stuff i like using, but it certainly doesn't "up my game" i certainly spend more than i need to, but that's what i like spending money on, motivation to make it :D

when my wife has got on me in the past for buying stuff (she's actually a really good sport) i suggest that i can quit spending money on fishing and hunting gear for a year, and take up drinking and keep track of money i spend drinking for one year for comparison purposes.... she hasn't taken me up on that yet luckily
Roosiebull

Postby Lefty » 11 14, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Well I haven't hassled my friend Swede in a while.
However knowing he is willing to pay more money for Danner boots than the boots from "Payless" Is comforting. And my guess he wore wool gloves in the NW. and not cotton. I just tossed the last of my lower quality underwear away. I like cotton T shirt and blue jeans,.. but they dont see elk camp ever.
All my undergarments ,.. no cotton blends.

Swede: high quality and above our normal cheap budget wear does make a difference!!!(Tigger chime in )

My wife is a rolling stone, her dad trained her that way.Four states in 20 years. One skill Ive been good at was finding game, and often where others didnt wouldnt or couldnt. I was always a bit driven to go further in , earlier, faster, sooner,.. hunt tougher conditions
Another skill I developed as a kid,.. I could stalk game.

And killing something is no longer a priority, I do derive a lot of pleasure in others success. And often prefer a challenge
And all this BS isnt just to cover for my too often blunders :lol: :lol:
Elk are my new challenge( ok Ive been after them with archery, ten years)
My shoulder is a mess I cant even draw the bow I bought as a 13 year old, And lets face it September hunting is much more thrilling the rest of the seasons
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 11 14, 2020 •  [Post 8]

You may not know sic um about hunting, but if you have the latest Sitka gear, you sure look good. It is the same with skiing where you are known by the clothes you wear. Maybe if you buy enough Sitka clothes you will get a part in a movie. You just need to keep up on the very latest stuff. Just know the movie critiques know the current fashion. 2019 is out and 2020 will be yesterday's news very soon. Start investing now for the 2021 hunt and your movie contract. :D
Swede

Postby Tigger » 11 16, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Ha! Did I ever see the picture of Swede and his elk this year while he was wearing gunnysacks? Maybe a loin cloth....on second thought, don't show that one. I sat this past week in a tree stand in 25-35 mph winds, 20-40 degrees and rain/snow. Field dressed 2 bucks in the rain and that whole time, I never wished I wasn't wearing Sitka. I was warm and comfy the whole time. But if there are some that want to wear gunny sacks and Danners, so be it. I would rather be comfy and warm.

Roosie, that is a fantastic idea! I don't drink either (other than an occasional wine cooler), so I could use it perfectly. Okay Swede, there is your opening. I drink wine coolers and that is all. Probably average 1-2 per month during the summer. Havent had one since August. But nothing stronger, no spirits, no beer. I hate the taste of beer. Total swamp water to me!
Tigger

Postby hibernation » 11 16, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:It is the same with skiing where you are known by the clothes you wear

Back when I used to ski, my favorite thing at our local mountain was seeing the couple of older guys who hadn't upgraded anything since the 80's and were still killing it. Long straight skis, bright windbreaker, blue jeans, and aviator sunglasses. Perfect tight turns all day long, knees practically glued together.

Similarly, used to know a really good whitetail hunter who shot an older bow, aluminum arrows, and a simple 3-pin sight, and it definitely wasn't that he couldn't afford newer gear. Just didn't see the need to change something that worked well for him. Kept his bow tuned and practiced all year, but beyond that, he put all his energy into scouting and hunting and it seemed to pay off.

There's something to be said for folks who dial in a system and then quit worrying about gear.
hibernation

Postby Swede » 11 16, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Loin cloth is for warm days. The gunny sacks are for when it gets cold. I have some high end thermal underwear. I assume it could go with my loin cloth, but I don't need it on those warm days.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 11 16, 2020 •  [Post 12]

hibernation wrote:
Swede wrote:It is the same with skiing where you are known by the clothes you wear

There's something to be said for folks who dial in a system and then quit worrying about gear.

there is absolutely something to be said for that, especially things like weapon systems, packs and boots... get familiar with them, know they work well for you, and keep gaining confidence in them..... i know i don't do as good switching bows all of the time, or arrows even.... same ol' same ol' is best for me.

i do like my high end hunting clothes, they are far more functional than what i used to wear.... i will continue to shamelessly pay too much for my hunting clothes, but it has nothing to do with fashion.... i only wear it when i don't plan on seeing anyone... don't wear it in public, and i go as far to bring extra clothes with me if i need to stop in town on my way home..... i don't wear camo in public, haha.... always have a change of regular clothes in my pickup all fall
Roosiebull

Postby Tigger » 11 17, 2020 •  [Post 13]

Interesting Roosie. I will wear mine hear and there. Cold day out ice fishing....you bet I am wearing it. But tons of people here wear it all the time, nobody wearing camo in March sticks out.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 11 18, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Swede wrote:Loin cloth is for warm days. The gunny sacks are for when it gets cold. I have some high end thermal underwear. I assume it could go with my loin cloth, but I don't need it on those warm days.

I dont think we want to see any of that , even in my minds eye
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Im not that old, but pack boots showed up about the time I needed them. My white cotton longjohns under quilted bottoms under 3/4 thick wool pants at times wasnt enough. My first deer coat must have weighed 50 lbs. OK maybe 15 lbs) Trapping and Working construction outside in Minnesota clothes slowed you down.

We had to dress like Ralphie just to go to school
I can stay warm and still shoot with the high tech clothes, Some of my stuff is heavy but nothing like the old days
I have a Cabelas fleece camo hoodie, I bought on sale in the early 90's Wore it all the time, canrt wear it out,.. and Ive gone through 3 pair of Carhartt ( and carhart type) bibs.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 11 18, 2020 •  [Post 15]

Lefty wrote:I dont think we want to see any of that , even in my minds eye

It was Tigger that brought up the subject. What a pervert. :D
Swede

Postby Lefty » 11 18, 2020 •  [Post 16]

Swede wrote:

I took it as a warning to viewers :lol:
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 11 18, 2020 •  [Post 17]

I froze my feet in 79, frost bit my fingers nose cheek and ears who know how many times before that.
I like to be comfortable: well need to comfortable. Even in temperate Idaho :lol:
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 11 19, 2020 •  [Post 18]

Lefty wrote:
Swede wrote:

I took it as a warning to viewers :lol:

It was a warning! I told you NOT to post any of those pictures. What has been seen cannot be unseen and all that. :o
Tigger