Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

CO Votes to Introduce Wolves

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

CO Votes to Introduce Wolves

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 07, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Not good; this will ultimately have dire consequences on the nations largest elk herd.

https://www.skyhinews.com/news/its-offi ... -colorado/
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: CO Votes to Introduce Wolves

Postby 7mmfan » 11 07, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Going to be an absolute slaughter there for many years to come.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 11 07, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Does anyone think we will get rid of wolves through a ballot measure? How about baiting bears or running hounds again?
The problem I see is that the original wolf introduction was not based on a vote, but does it matter? We had better learn to live with them.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 11 07, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:Does anyone think we will get rid of wolves through a ballot measure? How about baiting bears or running hounds again?
The problem I see is that the original wolf introduction was not based on a vote, but does it matter? We had better learn to HUNT them.

FTFY
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 11 07, 2020 •  [Post 5]

They aren't going anywhere, the best we can hope for is established hunting seasons and an ability to thin them legally. Idaho and Montana have shown that once they're established in the landscape it is literally not possible to kill enough of them with traditional hunting methods to reduce their population let alone put it at risk. Really just need to open up hunting everywhere on these dang things so we can at least drive them back off the urban interface some.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 11 07, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Maybe Colorado can mess it up like the lynx reintro

Sad day, big mistake

Today I was up in our elk country, wolves wiped out all the beaver above 6000 feet
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 11 07, 2020 •  [Post 7]

The game commission and ultimately the fish and game department are controlled by the State legislature. Do I need to explain the problem here? BTW: I have given testimony before the State legislature. During a hearing I was at we were told very abruptly that they are in charge of the department of fish and wildlife.
I remember years ago reading in the news paper where someone wrote a letter to the editor. He was advocating increasing the speed limit in Washington, on I5, to try to reduce the opossum population. I think it was meant tongue in cheek, but it is about as great an idea as trying to get the State to remove the wolves.
I do not like the wolves any more than any other elk hunter, but I am not delusional either. You and I will be gone before the wolves are. Learn to live and hunt around them. What we think are too many predators is no problem at all to the average voter. They love just hearing wolf stories, but they never interact with them. :cry:
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 11 08, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:The game commission and ultimately the fish and game department are controlled by the State legislature.

Not true in Colorado.The game commission is made up of appointees by the governor POS we have. The legislator controls the purse strings, but in this case, it is the commission that is responsible for the program for the reintroduction,setting payments for depredation,not the legislator .The governor's First Husband, if that is what they are called, is an openly tree hugging animal rights activist that has input to those appointees. .Peruse the profiles of the CPW commissioners and you will find most all of the appointees have no back ground in wildlife management,hunting or such .

My hunting career is 99% done,but I will never live with the decision and will not learn to "live " with the wolves.I will kill everyone I see. I will not accept this state becoming a Blue state that is controlled by the liberals in Denver and Boulder just because they have more votes than the remaining parts of the state which is why this legislation past.
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 08, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Unfortunatly the bill was passed and the and the big city dwellers of Colorado have passed their will upon the people of the western slope. But that is politics and we just have to live with it. But it sure does make me wonder, What if the bill would have been for the reintroduction of wolves on the front range instead of the western slope ???? I'll bet the city slicker vote might have been different!

Signed: SSS
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 11 08, 2020 •  [Post 10]

I understand the frustration guys, but we have had the dislike of wolves since they were introduced into the Yellowstone ecosystem. SSS has been called for ever since, but it is no more effective than increasing the speed limit on interstate five would be.
I had wolves right outside of my spike camp tent this 2020 archery season. They were howling just after dark in the meadow where we were camped. If I was inclined and had a rifle with a night scope, I suppose I might have killed one. I am sure that has happened since the introduction first expanded beyond the national park. If I could snap my finger and get rid of the wolves in the lower 48 states, they would all disappear. That will not happen, so I can complain, or I can figure out how and where to hunt effectively.
Just like modern hunting equipment and hunter numbers, they are here to stay. Hunters are being controlled more that the wildlife predators. Maybe we can get some small amount of control, but it will be minimal. Soccer mom loves the critters, and she votes. So do a lot of hunters. This argument was going on in the 1990s when the wolf was introduced.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 11 08, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:,,,,, I have given testimony before the State legislature.,,,,,,,,, :cry:

In 77 I trie to do the same: A bill to protect the coyote was introduced in Mn. It was scheduled to be heard at 10AM.
By all appearances it was going to pass. At 1:15 AM the next morning my brothers HS ag teacher walked in. In 15 minutes three votes changed and the bill failed.

I hate politics
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H