Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Archery season ! over or soon to be!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Archery season ! over or soon to be!

Postby Lefty » 10 10, 2020 •  [Post 1]

A most unusual year. I spent a lot of time in camp,.. So I got to see what happened around camp.

One thing that was unusual Had 6 guys, ( two pair and two single) come in on the Idaho side to hunt Montana,

The pairs had rented Montana pickups. When the 2nd pair came in just as general chit chat,..I asked where they were from"******* , Montana". Liers :lol: Well technically they had come from that town.And likely picked up their UTV trailer and truck. Not a speck of cow crap in the fenderwells, or a rockchip on the shocks,.. Fresh off the lot toll sticker in the front windshield, and well,.. the rental tag hanging on the mirror :lol: Does Montan have any toll roads :o ?

Our "road" hardly had any hunters ever go past camp.
A Bear hunter that drove past a dozen times .
Someone brought in an RV at 2:30 AM and by chance saw them drive out with it a week later,.. I dont think they ever stayed in the trailer
A wood cutter twice.
The guy with the oilburning late 70's three toned, red door making more noise then last year
The kid from Pocatello, this year without gramps.
There were a few more that didnt make it past camp.
I really wonder why so many fewer. I do know some drew the early trophy bull tag.
Not complaining,.. just a fraction of previous years.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Archery season ! over or soon to be!

Postby Swede » 10 10, 2020 •  [Post 2]

There seemed to be plenty of hunters where I was again this year. Some commented that there were more than in previous years. The speculation was that the Covid was turning more folks to hunting. I guess everyone needs a vacation, and hunting will allow for more social distancing than some other vacations like to Disneyland. I did not see much difference, and certainly not enough to say.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 10 11, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Over all Ive seen more people in the outdoors the past few months than ever.
The two RV places near us,.. all the boats were sold and only a handfull of RVs on the lot.
UTVs and ATVs have no discount. My wife started looking for a newer car,.. Other than the bars and restaurants this area is booming.. A farmer was telling me even at $16.00 an hour he cant find farm hands,
Lefty

Postby js80138 » 10 12, 2020 •  [Post 4]

A most unusual season for me in CO as well. Here's the good and bad.

The Bad: Very crowded and very dry. Over the season I had 4 different camps. I keep playing this quote in my head that I learned here on WT. "The elk are where you find them." Early season I could not find elk, scat, rubs or tracks. Ended up moving hunting units. Took a long break during ML season and went out again at end of season. Found elk on the last two days. In one day at my camp I met hunters from MN, MI, PA, TX, Utah and CO. It was abnormally hot and dry for all of archery season. I believe there were only two measurable precipitation events over the last two months. Smoke filled air everyday. More hunters than I have ever seen over 50 miles of changing camps. Tag Soup again.

The Good: I had my very first bugling conversation with two bulls that lasted about ten minutes. 8 minutes into the singing it suddenly dawned on me that I should record my experience so I captured almost two minutes. I have heard the numerous stories of everyone on here who talk about bugling but I never experienced it myself until this year. It was everything I hoped for in a bugling experience. Although it was listed in my Bad list due to the number of hunters who were hunting my same area it was also a fantastic experience to chat with other hunters. One thing for sure is that older hunters don't share any information. Younger hunters especially those on their last day before returning home shared nearly all their info and experience. I took time to enjoy my surroundings and ended up with a fantastic photo that I sent to my wife. When I returned home it was already on my computer as a screen saver. I hunted more this year than I have in years past. I had a great conversation one evening at camp about CO elk. The hunter I spoke with was sharing information he has learned from podcasts regarding CO elk and actually taking that information to the field and utilizing it first hand. The hunter referenced Corey Jacobson and some guy named Elknut. I smiled and shared WT with him. I came home smarter from my experience. Lastly I made it home safe and my family was safe upon my return.

I do have a cow tag for rifle so I hope I can report a more successful trip.
Attachments
Jimmy Archery 2020 2.jpg
Jimmy Archery 2020 2.jpg (87.05 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
js80138

Postby Swede » 10 12, 2020 •  [Post 5]

It sounds like you had a great experience JS. This elk hunting thing will start to come together for you. Be patient and give it some time. Just don't give up. I have found there are two types of hunters that don't share information.
1. Some people feel threatened when they think you might become successful. That will undermine their chances to get one.
2. There are those that just hate the thought of anyone out doing them.
Of coarse there are those that really don't know anything but would like you to think maybe they do. :D
There are a bunch of old hunters here that actually like passing on the things they have learned over their decades of elk hunting. They don't feel threatened and actually get some pleasure out of having some small part in your success when it comes.
I will share what I know for free, but if you want it in a book, it will cost you $19.95. :D
Swede

Postby js80138 » 10 17, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Of coarse there are those that really don't know anything but would like you to think maybe they do. :D

Swede it has taken nearly a week to have the opportunity to share this tid-bit with you.

On the same evening some of the hunters I befriended were about to start their 26 hour drive back home a lifted truck guy drove into camp with a passenger by his side. Since I had been in this camp for a few days without anyone stopping by I held my hand up to grab his attention while he was making a u-turn. He rolled down his window and I asked," How's it going tonight" He replied, "It's going very well I am from the Craig office Colorado Parks Department and wanted to know how many hunters there were at this location." I started laughing in front of him as the air smelled overwhelmingly green. That and the fact that Craig was 70 miles a way. I replied, " It's just me hunting but all of these other hunter's heard that I saw an elk and they want to know the location". The guy looked at me and didn't know how to reply. I looked at his passenger and he looked at me wondering if I was a figment of his imagination. I told them to be safe and have a good night. They drove away and I continued laughing.

It is funny who you may meet while hunting especially back at camp. BTWI do appreciate all of the information many of the hunters share without judgement on WT. I have become an incredible hunter from following suggestions I read on WT. Now if someone would post how I actually find the elk while I am hunting I will be an incredible harvester. :D
js80138

Postby Lefty » 10 18, 2020 •  [Post 7]

js80138 wrote:A most unusual season for me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I do have a cow tag for rifle so I hope I can report a more successful trip.

Isnt life grand,.. and even better in elk camp
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 10 18, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:,,, it will cost you $19.95. :D

The Swede I know and love!!!!

Page 127, Swedes wife has a recipe for tag soup :
I like to add more memories, and cut back on Tears of regret.
And he isn't straight up on the forth ingredient and starts out with the blame game instead I add more excuses :lol:
Lefty

Postby Swede » 10 18, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Lefty wrote:The Swede I know and love!!!!

Page 127, Swedes wife has a recipe for tag soup :
I like to add more memories, and cut back on Tears of regret.
And he isn't straight up on the forth ingredient and starts out with the blame game instead I add more excuses

Some jerk is being a trouble maker here. Thankfully I don't have that trait.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 10 18, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:Some jerk is being a trouble maker here. Thankfully I don't have that trait.

Huuh havent heard from Joe since he hit the woods :lol:
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 10 19, 2020 •  [Post 11]

JS, Well snow makes it easier to find elk. Other than that, find a barrier that stops other hunters. A creek, a steep slope, blowdown, etc will stop people and elk will be on the other side. Sometimes distance is a barrier. Other times, not so much.

You know the one sure way to find elk? Look for them. A lot. Over time, you will find them.

Curious about your bugle conversation....did you understand what the elk were saying? What was your plan? Why did it fail? Having a conversation is one thing, using it to your advantage is another. Analyze what happened and you are on your way to success.
Tigger